Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is Ebola making you think twice about travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Ebola making you think twice about travel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
...and stupid jokes start to fly around already...

Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
...and stupid jokes start to fly around already...
At this point, what can you do but laugh. Gallows humor.

I heard this one today: "What's the best way to get a middle seat free on Southwest? Look like you're from Africa."

It's pathetic, but true.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
At this point, what can you do but laugh. Gallows humor.

I heard this one today: "What's the best way to get a middle seat free on Southwest? Look like you're from Africa."

It's pathetic, but true.
Pardon me, but that's my window seat. Boy am I wiped out. I have been traveling since I left Liberia yesterday. Could you pass me that airsickness bag? I'm feeling just a little queasy.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by iahphx
This is certainly what the medical community is saying. Which is why I'm watching what happens with the victim's family in Dallas and the husband of the nurse's aide in Madrid. If those families don't contract ebola, you can see that the risk of an epidemic outside of Africa is exceedingly small (even if they do get it, the risk of an epidemic is still small, but stricter procedures would be advisable).

I'm particularly concerned about the Dallas family due to the seeming incompetence of the hospital staff in sending the victim home when he first reported with the ebola symptoms. Logic suggests he might have been contagious during that time he returned to the apartment. So if that family doesn't contract ebola, it's incredibly unlikely that anyone who has mere "casual contact" with an ebola victim would catch the disease in the developed world.
From reading the description it seems that about everything to make the family sick was done. I would be surprised if none of them got it. I think the telling numbers will be what percentage of the low risk and high risk contacts become sick.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
From reading the description it seems that about everything to make the family sick was done. I would be surprised if none of them got it. I think the telling numbers will be what percentage of the low risk and high risk contacts become sick.
Yeah, there was a massive screw-up but, knock-wood, the family seems to be OK. The doctors say that most people who get the disease show symptoms within 8 to 10 days. The family's last exposure to him was Sept. 28 -- 11 days ago. In theory, the incubation period can be as long as 21 days, so they're not out-of-the-woods, but this is obviously very encouraging. And if what is said about transmission is true, there seems to be very little risk of anyone else in Dallas now getting ebola.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:26 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by l'etoile
There is no case in Australia. Ms. Kovack tested negative for Ebola.

As for Macedonia, I understand samples were sent to Germany for testing. I do not believe there are reported results yet.

This is a caregivers' disease. It is difficult to transmit. Children touch everything and seldom get it. I was reading the various headlines regarding the Australian nurse ..."Nurse With Suspected Ebola Hospitalized" is certainly far more attention-getting (and fear-inducing) than "Nurse Tested for Ebola."

As to the question, I'm not changing my travel plans. In fact, my son is a virologist who works with Ebola. I will continue to see him as often as I can.
Excellent. Thank you. And listen up folks.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:29 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
As the U.S. is an Ebola-affected country, would 58% support banning all US flights even domestic ones? How quickly the panic would subside when the NIMBY crowd gets hit -- not by Ebola -- but by flight bans.
Since there are no flights from the affected west African countries to the US, then it can only mean that they want to ban all flights to the US from Spain.

Surely the most logical place to do any screening is in BRU, even if it only catches people who have managed to fly at exactly the time they are showing symptoms.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: United Plat and falling
I've just returned from a work trip to Kenya an Rwanda. I laughed when people (yes, more than 1!) asked me if I wasn't afraid of going because of Ebola, given the distances and all. I have to admit though, that the endless Ebola prevention ads on DSTV started to make me paranoid - particularly the warning that Ebola can be passed through contact with sweat. Though that just meant I was more careful than usual about washing hands regularly, good practice regardless.

I think more interesting here, though, are the measures I observed at the four African airports I passed through: At NBO and MOI they have voluntary hand sanitation stations set up outside the controlled areas (literally on the curb at NBO). At KGL they have contact-less thermometer checks on entry (I wondered what would happen if I happened to have a fever). At ADD (transit only) I didn't see anything at all.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:17 am

no... the risk is way too small to be concerned about at this point in time. When people start dying like flies all around the US then I will start getting concerned but my thought is that we are never going to see that day so let's all relax. 1 or 2 people dying in a population of 400 million? c'mon now... I think more people are dying crossing the road than from Ebola at this point in time!!!

EVEN in West Africa, the absolute number of people relative to the overall population is quite small... infact I have plans to go to Africa next year and I am least concerned...what concerns me more is Malaria not Ebola!!

Last edited by k374; Oct 10, 2014 at 12:23 am
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Hello from the Frankfurt Book Fair! Still traveling, among large crowds, not changing much.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
It hasn't changed my plans to go to Venice next week. But I wouldn't travel to an infected country and would check what my travel insurance has to say about cancelling due to an epidemic before committing to any more travel. I'm not very worried about ebola as it is, but if it mutates things could get rather nasty.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: AA PLT (fmr EXP), UA SLV, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier (LTG), IHG Gold, National Exec Elite
I pretty much echo most of the thread. I'm not worried about it and it won't change my travels. My only concern is the possible overreaction at airports and with the traveling public.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by k374
EVEN in West Africa, the absolute number of people relative to the overall population is quite small... infact I have plans to go to Africa next year and I am least concerned...what concerns me more is Malaria not Ebola!!
As it should. It's a heck of a lot easier to contract malaria, and it's a heck of a lot more prevalent. The problem with preventing malaria is that, here in the West, we take a "cover your butt" approach to prescribing the meds. It's worth doing a bit of independent research to see if the areas you're going to pose a real malaria risk. Some do, some don't.

Originally Posted by exilencfc
I'm not very worried about ebola as it is, but if it mutates things could get rather nasty.
It's obviously natural to worry about this, but the epidemiologists says it's quite improbable that ebola will mutate into something "nastier," like the capacity for airborne transmission. It's apparently not structured like influenza.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
This is the type thing that primarily concerns me.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:43 am
Suspended

Europe should start worrying about the thousands of African refugees attempting to arrive by boat in Malta and Italy every week. If just one of them has Ebola it's game over for Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.