Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is Ebola making you think twice about travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Got an email from the Dean of my law school today about Ebola:

A bit late and a bit hysterical I thought.
Couldn't agree more. Disgraceful over-reaction pandering to the worst misinformation about Ebola.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:00 pm

No I don't think it will change my travel plans
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by iahphx
My American Airlines shares are up about 50% in a month. .
Well played sir! ^

If people want to sell on an unfunded panic and lose money in the process, then that is their issue.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Couldn't agree more. Disgraceful over-reaction pandering to the worst misinformation about Ebola.
I didn't see a single piece of misinformation in that - which bits are you talking about?

It seems eminently sensible policy to me. Preferably don't go to areas currently experiencing an epidemic of deadly disease, and if you do make sure you aren't infected before returning to campus.

While it is of course not an airbourne disease, I'd say the rapid spread of the disease proves it's not as benign as people once claimed it was. I remember back when this first started people were acting like in order to catch it you had to rub infected pus into a gaping open wound! An infected person on campus in all likelihood wouldn't infect anyone else, but why take the risk?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by callum9999

While it is of course not an airbourne disease, I'd say the rapid spread of the disease proves it's not as benign as people once claimed it was. I remember back when this first started people were acting like in order to catch it you had to rub infected pus into a gaping open wound! An infected person on campus in all likelihood wouldn't infect anyone else, but why take the risk?
Wow. Some people still don't get it. Please do tell us what spread you're referring to that proves it "not as benign" as we were told. Is it the whole two people who have contracted it in the US? Both with significant occupational exposure to blood, feces and vomit.

For the record, the message regarding transmission hasn't changed. I have a copy of the 2007 Journal of Infectious Disease special Filovirus supplement in my bag right now. While survival rates and treatment modalities have changed, transmission hasn't. Then, as now, exposure to blood, stool or vomit of an ILL (not just febrile, but really sick) is required.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:34 am

I will still travel.
Ebola will not scare me away.
Now if the person next to me is coughing,
sneezing or sweating profusely, I may get nervous.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
Wow. Some people still don't get it. Please do tell us what spread you're referring to that proves it "not as benign" as we were told. Is it the whole two people who have contracted it in the US? Both with significant occupational exposure to blood, feces and vomit.

For the record, the message regarding transmission hasn't changed. I have a copy of the 2007 Journal of Infectious Disease special Filovirus supplement in my bag right now. While survival rates and treatment modalities have changed, transmission hasn't. Then, as now, exposure to blood, stool or vomit of an ILL (not just febrile, but really sick) is required.
No, it's the 15,000 in Africa that have contracted it...

I clearly said it wasn't airbourne and that the risk of someone spreading it on a campus was tiny, so take your moral indignation elsewhere...
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
No, it's the 15,000 in Africa that have contracted it...

I clearly said it wasn't airbourne and that the risk of someone spreading it on a campus was tiny, so take your moral indignation elsewhere...
15, 000 who share living spaces, who touch the recently deceased out of tradition and necessity, who have had, until now, no access to the type of care that has driven mortality rates down towards meningitis levels in the US.

My apologies if I seem indignant, but it stems from a frustration of reading and hearing folks say "why take the risk" regarding travel restrictions (keeping this travel focused, lest we end up in Omni), when in fact they are not taking a risk. They are taking no more of a risk than the upset parents of Ryan Whites classmates back in the 80s. "Why take the risk" based restrictions needlessly remove a significant number of potential volunteers, denying those 15,000 people a chance.

I went to a conference last week in the UK that while not Ebola focused, involved plenty of clinicians and researchers who have been fighting Ebola. The radical difference in public perception, even though the British tabloid press is as bad as the US, was quite refreshing. Hopefully that's maintained once the UK sees its first few Ebola cases. Cases that are totally anticipated to occur given the number of deployed staff.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
15, 000 who share living spaces, who touch the recently deceased out of tradition and necessity, who have had, until now, no access to the type of care that has driven mortality rates down towards meningitis levels in the US.

My apologies if I seem indignant, but it stems from a frustration of reading and hearing folks say "why take the risk" regarding travel restrictions (keeping this travel focused, lest we end up in Omni), when in fact they are not taking a risk. They are taking no more of a risk than the upset parents of Ryan Whites classmates back in the 80s. "Why take the risk" based restrictions needlessly remove a significant number of potential volunteers, denying those 15,000 people a chance.

I went to a conference last week in the UK that while not Ebola focused, involved plenty of clinicians and researchers who have been fighting Ebola. The radical difference in public perception, even though the British tabloid press is as bad as the US, was quite refreshing. Hopefully that's maintained once the UK sees its first few Ebola cases. Cases that are totally anticipated to occur given the number of deployed staff.
While I agree with pretty much all of that, I don't really see how it conflicts with my original post. If you thought I had a similar attitude to that presented in the American press then I can see how you jumped to conclusions, but a university advising it's staff and students (very few of whom are presumably suitable to be volunteers anyway given it's a law school) not to go to ebola epidemic areas and to make sure they weren't infected before returning to campus if they do seems entirely sensible to me.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I didn't see a single piece of misinformation in that - which bits are you talking about?

It seems eminently sensible policy to me. Preferably don't go to areas currently experiencing an epidemic of deadly disease, and if you do make sure you aren't infected before returning to campus.

Not wuite sure where to start with this.

First, I agree that some of the policy does seem sensible. It wouldn't surprise me if the restrictions on University-sponsored travel were at least in part liability-based rather than public health-based. It certainly makes sense that the University is trying to make it clear that they (or their insurance) won't be paying the 50K plus for a medical evacuation.

Post-travel screening also makes sense. Note that they did not say they would require a 21-day isolation period, merely that they maintained the option to require it if the screening warranted such an isolation period. Certainly, anyone who had a close encounter with an Ebola victim without full protective gear would warrant an isolation period, as would anyone who showed symptoms consistent with Ebola - at least until it was ruled out.

However, your second paragraph has a lot wrong with it. You note that Ebola is not an airborne (note the spelling) disease, but then start talking about its rapid spread. Actually, the spread has not been at all rapid. It still has an R0 of about 2. Yes, many people in West Africa have been infected, but the first case showed up in December.

I don't think anyone has ever described Ebola as benign. It is a horrible disease and it is quite infectious when victims are fully symptomatic. What people have been arguing against is the assumption that one can easily catch it without close contact with symptomatic patients, and that even then, most who catch it get it from severely symptomatic patients.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Not wuite sure where to start with this.

First, I agree that some of the policy does seem sensible. It wouldn't surprise me if the restrictions on University-sponsored travel were at least in part liability-based rather than public health-based. It certainly makes sense that the University is trying to make it clear that they (or their insurance) won't be paying the 50K plus for a medical evacuation.

Post-travel screening also makes sense. Note that they did not say they would require a 21-day isolation period, merely that they maintained the option to require it if the screening warranted such an isolation period. Certainly, anyone who had a close encounter with an Ebola victim without full protective gear would warrant an isolation period, as would anyone who showed symptoms consistent with Ebola - at least until it was ruled out.

However, your second paragraph has a lot wrong with it. You note that Ebola is not an airborne (note the spelling) disease, but then start talking about its rapid spread. Actually, the spread has not been at all rapid. It still has an R0 of about 2. Yes, many people in West Africa have been infected, but the first case showed up in December.

I don't think anyone has ever described Ebola as benign. It is a horrible disease and it is quite infectious when victims are fully symptomatic. What people have been arguing against is the assumption that one can easily catch it without close contact with symptomatic patients, and that even then, most who catch it get it from severely symptomatic patients.
Firstly, I can't believe you have the audacity to make a snarky comment about spelling when you misspelt the second word in this very post...

Secondly, as there is no specific definition of "rapidly", certainly not when used in this non-scientific context, this point is rather flippant. I, and I'm sure most (including the WHO on several occasions), would describe this as rapid.

Of course they haven't... Numerous people, including on this very site, however went on about how Ebola is so hard to spread that this would just fizzle out and not be a great issue. Regardless, my second paragraph doesn't remotely say that it is easy to catch it off someone - it, in fact, says the exact opposite... While you may see an unnecessary yet tiny risk of spreading it as acceptable, I think it's hardly surprising that the people who are tasked with looking after these people do not. I certainly struggle to see how you can describe it as "disgraceful over-reaction pandering to misinformation" - which is the quote I was objecting to with this post.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Firstly, I can't believe you have the audacity to make a snarky comment about spelling when you misspelt the second word in this very post....
Mine was clearly a typo - it wasn't as clear whether airbourne [sic] was. In any case, I didn't intent it to be snarky, only informative. I apologize if it read differently.

Secondly, as there is no specific definition of "rapidly", certainly not when used in this non-scientific context, this point is rather flippant. I, and I'm sure most (including the WHO on several occasions), would describe this as rapid.

Of course they haven't... Numerous people, including on this very site, however went on about how Ebola is so hard to spread that this would just fizzle out and not be a great issue. Regardless, my second paragraph doesn't remotely say that it is easy to catch it off someone - it, in fact, says the exact opposite... While you may see an unnecessary yet tiny risk of spreading it as acceptable, I think it's hardly surprising that the people who are tasked with looking after these people do not. I certainly struggle to see how you can describe it as "disgraceful over-reaction pandering to misinformation" - which is the quote I was objecting to with this post.
Perhaps we read the press and this site differently. I haven't felt that anyone was suggesting that it would just fizzle out, at least not with much more loss of life. I have seen many people who overdramatize the situation and act like it is as contagious as the flu. Despite your comment that it is not airborne, the use of the word "rapid" and "benign" could easily be misinterpreted by the "anything to keep us safe crowd" to be mean more than you perhaps intended it to.

I do agree with you that I don't think the University's position is a "disgraceful overreaction" which, incidentally weren't my words (I don't think you were saying that they were but the turn of phrase you used could be interpreted that way), although I think the University could have said the same thing in a more nuanced way, which doesn't have the ring of panic.

Incidentally, I assumed the policy is one for the entire University, not merely the law school. Given that both universities in Durham, NC where the original poster of the policy is located have schools of Nursing and one has a Medical school, the possibility of both school-sponsored and volunteer activities in the field of medicine are plausible, and thus the policy seems more rational than it would if it had been produced solely for a law school.

I think that we actually are close to agreement on the actual substance of the discussion. Where we may differ is that I think of it in terms of a risk-benefit analysis, not an 'unnecessary risk' situation. If the risks are quite small, we shouldn't impose costs not commensurate with the real level of risk. I think we should take 'unnecessary risks' if the cost of mitigating that risk is high compared to the level of risk we are trying to manage.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM

I am bummed a bit that prime Africa destinations (Kenya, Tanzania, Namibia, etc.) aren't discounting summer 2015 travel more...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:33 pm

Good news with regard to travel to/from the hot zone. Last month DN (Asky) resumed their LFW-CKY-DKR service. This brings to five the number of commercial airlines serving airports in the hot zone (CKY, FNA, ROB):

AF: CMN-CKY
AT: CMN-CKY/FNA/ROB, ROB-FNA
DN: LFW-CKY-DKR
HF: ABJ-CKY/FNA/ROB
SN: BRU-CKY/FNA/ROB

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=c:purpl...mn,dkr,lfw,abj

Hopefully more to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.