Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is Ebola making you think twice about travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by FTcadence
In a survey conducted by NBC News, 58% of (U.S.-based) respondents supported banning all flights to the U.S. from Ebola-affected countries.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...278640701.html
Which won't help one bit - because these passengers will simply arrive into a country that does not have cases and fly from there.

On the original question - no - it does not make me think twice.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:03 pm

Hello from Cameroon, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea. Still somewhat distant from the outbreak, but its hard not to think about the suffering, especially when seeing "bush meat". Difficult to stop the spread, and it seems to be keeping travelers away (anecdotal).

For me, my first vacation days in five-plus years, booked a year ago. Sticking with plan.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I've got a trip to HKG next month, which sees me transiting through AMS and LHR on the outbound and return - not places I'd want to go through in the event of an international epidemic. I think I'll be fine to go - if it was tomorrow I'd have no problems. But we are kind of waiting to see how well this can be contained, now its starting to spread beyond the initial locales. In two weeks, we might be wondering what all the fuss was about....
Im going to CPH this weekend for a few days, through London. I am more concerned about possible hysteria than actual illness at this point in time. Having said that, it is my last planned international travel this year and I am a bit happy be in the US and seeing how things sort out. All of my remaining travel this year is transcon or near transcon. I was considering London for a conference in December but was leaning against it and probably won't go.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Paul56
In a word... no.

But I have no intention, need or want to fly into Africa.
I'm tentatively scheduled for a business trip to South Africa and Namibia early next year and I'm not worried about Ebola in the slightest. It's a big continent and I'll be thousands of miles away from the trouble zones.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:11 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Splashed with what? I haven't seen the full story on any of these. I believe you, but links please if you have them handy.
Ashoka’s father is Dr Mitchell Levy, the medical director of the intensive care unit at Rhode Island Hospital. He told CNN it was unclear how his son got the virus, but added: "He was helping inside clinics disinfecting, whether it was a chair or some vehicle that had potentially been exposed, he remembers getting some of it in his face."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-Liberia.html

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Im going to CPH this weekend for a few days, through London.
I'm doing the same, but staying in CPH a bit longer.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:12 pm

I'm travelling via AMS in 2 days time. I'm not that concerned. I think it's a bit of a lottery, if some chap who's just come back from Liberia is sitting next to you vomiting his guts out, it might be a good time to write my will but then more likely than not that's not gonna be the case.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Venabili
Which won't help one bit - because these passengers will simply arrive into a country that does not have cases and fly from there.

On the original question - no - it does not make me think twice.
I believe BA and AF cut service to the impacted countries. I am not sure who besides SN flies there, but if there are no commercial flights in or out of Sierra Leone / Guinea / Liberia, then it's a pretty safe bet no one is getting out of the region. I don't see why these steps haven't been taken. We can still bring military personnel and doctors in on Government charter flights to help fight the disease in W.Africa.

On a uniquely FT appropriate note. My TATL segments will be LH A346 on the way across the pond and an LH 744 on the way back. I see LH does not serve any of the countries impacted, so the odds that any potentially infected traveler from W.Africa has been on one of their planes would be very slim, unless that person flew to BRU or elsewhere and then transited again to an LH long haul flight (no evidence yet of any infected arriving via LH) correct.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:21 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
And here's some info on the Macedonia situation. It will be about 40 hours before it's known if the man who died had Ebola.

http://rt.com/news/194640-briton-ebola-macedonia-dead/
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:48 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
im not scared.

now the GF is scared, and won't even let me think about taking her to morocco in the future. ugh I want to go so bad!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I think my wife and I would both agree that the most memorable, significant trip we have taken (and we, and especially me, have been to a lot of places) was to Zambia and South Africa. That said, this wouldn't be the time I would want to go back (and yes I know those countries aren't impacted directly).
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I'm tentatively scheduled for a business trip to South Africa and Namibia early next year and I'm not worried about Ebola in the slightest. It's a big continent and I'll be thousands of miles away from the trouble zones.
Cancelling a trip to South Africa now would be like cancelling a trip to New York City because of an outbreak of disease in Morocco. It's the same distance. It's nuts.

Anyone truly worried about this (other than folks in West Africa and healthcare workers elsewhere who are treating the victims) needs to take a step back and THINK. You are being irrational. There is no real risk. I know it's sometimes hard to think like this, but you should really try. Travel inherently involves some risk: heck, hundreds of people die in America everyday from car accidents. The odds that you will be the first traveler killed by ebola are infinitesimal; it's right up there with being abducted by aliens.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:21 pm

I'm considering using it as an excuse to avoid trips I really didn't want to make, anyway. ("Sorry, we think it would be more prudent to stay here for Thanksgiving because traveling at the busiest time of year su-- uh, because of Ebola risk.")

As we head into "everyone has the sniffles" season, though, I do think that everyone will get more paranoid about it unless the situation is brought to a quick end. If things get worse and restrictions increase, it may become too annoying to fly, regardless of real risk from disease.

Honestly, I'm more put off right now by bedbug risk, primarily because that already happened to us, it was a massive upheaval even with minimal infestation, and it happened quite recently. (I'll get over it.)
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card

If I thought about the possibility of disease, accidents, violent crime, abduction etc. every time I stepped on a plane to a foreign land, I would never travel. I leave for Australia in a little over a week, no qualms. Ebola is a real issue but in the grand scheme of things, I'm more likely to get into a car accident than contract the disease in my current circumstances.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fwoomp
Honestly, I'm more put off right now by bedbug risk, primarily because that already happened to us, it was a massive upheaval even with minimal infestation, and it happened quite recently. (I'll get over it.)
You actually got bedbugs? Wow. Now that's a real risk, but not a particularly major one. There's a thread on flyertalk about it -- basically how everybody worries about bedbugs, but how few actually get it. After thousands of hotel stays, I thought my wife MIGHT have gotten a bed bug bite. But it turned out to be sandflies. Nobody worries about those.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Ebola is a terribly scary disease, and certainly warrants concern (and even more so, action to help the nations that are fighting an uphill battle against it). That said, I think a lot of the fear stems from the media reporting complete garbage - "could it be Ebola?" "Does everyone in Dallas have Ebola?" "How did this nurse get Ebola?"

I think this image from CNN sums up the competency of major media outlets reporting on this outbreak:

Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by iahphx
Cancelling a trip to South Africa now would be like cancelling a trip to New York City because of an outbreak of disease in Morocco. It's the same distance. It's nuts.
Never under estimate people's stupidity.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...t-9678108.html

Brazilian executives have cancelled a visit to Namibia over fears about Ebola, despite the centre of the outbreak being almost 3,000 miles away.

A spate of boycotted conferences and visits has prompted criticism of international ignorance and the persistent perception of “Africa the country”.

Namibia’s Chamber of Commerce was expecting a delegation from Brazil in the capital Windhoek this week, which is closer to Rio de Janeiro (as the crow flies) than to Guinea, where Ebola has killed more than 400 people.

“We're so far from West Africa,” said an employee. “Did these people not have a map?”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.