Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Big eater - can I request second meal?

Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Im working out so I eat a lot and if I don't eat sufficiently it starts giving me a headache. Do you think it is possible to request an extra meal on economy class?

Also what is the best way to make the most of your dining experience? I want to eat as much as possible and don't mind staying up so I don't miss the snacks/juices/chocolates etc.

Thanks
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

You can bring food aboard the plane, thus eating what you want when you want.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:39 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Assuming the food is complimentary, you will probably be limited to one meal. They rarely cater much more than the number of passengers... and I have seen them occasionally run out of food.

Now, if you have to buy the box/meal, then by all means buy what you want.

But I would suggest just bringing food on board with you.... just try not to bring "stinky" food...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:51 am

If you did get a second meal would you be a glutton for punishment?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're on a long haul flight with multiple meals, you can ask the FA to wake you for meals. Sometimes in business/first class the amenity kit will include a "wake me for food" sticker you put on.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Chattersking
Im working out so I eat a lot and if I don't eat sufficiently it starts giving me a headache. Do you think it is possible to request an extra meal on economy class?

Also what is the best way to make the most of your dining experience? I want to eat as much as possible and don't mind staying up so I don't miss the snacks/juices/chocolates etc.

Thanks
You can ask. You won't get it, but you can ask.

I'd also question your choice of words. "Dining experience"? In Coach?

Bring your own snacks.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:16 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
You can always ask. Whether you will be accommodated is really the question. To be certain that you won't be hungry, pack a lunch.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've asked for and received a second meal. I explain to the FA that I'd like to try it and if they have any left over at the end of the service I'd appreciate it. I'm usually successful, though I certainly don't do it every flight.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Protocol is one to a customer. The point of inflight dining is to keep you alive, not sate you to fullness. If you need more, bring more. (Of course, if this is a US domestic flight where you pay a la carte for food items, you can buy multiple items -- though it would be very rude to buy a whole armful, thus enduring that the back ten rows get nothing. If this is an international flight with free food, you get one tray per meal.)
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:12 pm

Unfortunately there is no smorgasbord in economy
where you can fill up.

Suggest you bring some Clif Bars.

Headache may be the result of insufficient hydration.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
It can't hurt to ask, politely, for another meal if there's any left over after the whole cabin has been served. Anything that isn't eaten on the flight ends up in the trash anyhow.

That said, planes tend to be full and catering tends to be tight. You may hear "Sorry, there isn't any more." If you want to be certain of getting all the food you want, bring it with you.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
If I'm even halfway hungry I'll eat a meal at the airport terminal before boarding. Airport food is often not great, but it's almost always better than what's available aboard.

When there's no time to eat before boarding, or I'm not hungry (but anticipate I will be in an hour) I'll grab something to-go and eat it after I'm settled in my seat.

I agree with Paul56 that a headache is more likely caused by dehydration than undernourishment, unless you are literally starving yourself.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: *G
never hurts to ask and its not a huge faux paux. obviously, bring your own food if you want it guaranteed
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

I didn't even know that you can bring your on food onboard I thought this wasnt allowed?

What should I bring onboard? I have two 10+hrs flights with a stop over in LHR. If I buy something meaty I might have problem warming it up. If I buy something from subway not sure if it will be fresh/safe to eat?

Yes I start getting headache when I get hungry, I drink plenty of water so never thought too much about it always assumed its my stomach telling me to eat something. I was working out and was eating 6 meals a day and I have continued that habit since I might be addicted to food and have a fast metabolism to I dont gain weight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.