Reload this Page >

The most beautiful and the ugliest aircraft of last 50 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The most beautiful and the ugliest aircraft of last 50 years

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:40 am

The Douglas DC-3 in AA livery. When Delta took their first delivery, Captain Pre Ball looked up inside the back door and said "How are we ever going to fill this thing up?"
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'll give you the TriStar and 727 in a heartbeat, but will strongly disagree with the DC-10 whose #2 engine isn't at all smoothly integrated into much of anything
totally agree about the DC-10, although the #2 engine still looks better than an engine hanging off the wing.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
I don't get the complete lack of love for the 380. It's not that ugly. At worst, it's ungainly from certain angles. But IMO, from certain angles it's also pretty impressive. Front on landing IRL can look rather good. I've watched them landing at LAX on a windy day and was rather impressed. Climbing out of Heathrow they are very impressive against the cityscape - they look like they should stall but they just keep on climbing.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The Concorde, the 747-100/200/300, and the 707-320 Intercontinental are the most beautiful.

The Shorts 360, Airbus A318, and Britten-Norman Tri-Islander are the most ugly.

That is all.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:00 pm
HMO

The XB-70 Valkirie always caught my imagination as the prettiest bird.

the whales (Beluga, Dreamlifter) are very ugly, IMO. ^
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Not quite airliners, but...

Sukhoi Su-47 Berkut -- Cool fighter jet. I wish the forward-swept wing design were more common

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...29_in_2001.jpg

Ugly: Airbus Beluga. It's functional, yes, but it also looks like it was built in a factory in Chernobyl.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...New_Colour.JPG
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:29 pm

I think this is one of the top 3 best looking man made objects ever

Concorde
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Regarding the ugliest aircraft ever produced, here is the article I just saw and honestly never heard about this aircraft:

Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
What's wrong with the A380 ? Why do so many people hate it? It is symmetrical compared to the 747
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:30 pm

A bit outside your 50 years, but the story behind the Aerocar was on Mysteries at the Museum. I suppose whether it fits in the most beautiful or the ugliest depends on the viewer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroca...erocar-III.jpg
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:23 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Also a little OT, but when I was a kid my mother was the group secretary for the test pilots at Douglas. My all-time favorite aircraft was the X-3, designed to be the first Mach 3 airplane. I met a couple of the drivers. Events overtook it with the X-15 (suborbital) which looked nothing like the Stiletto...

Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Are the Shorts still around? I used to fly a Shorts from Chicago to Burlington, Iowa many years ago. Don't remember the model number. I think the seating was 1 - 2, but I'm not sure. Seeing that it was a high wing creature and it didn't fly very high on the flights, the views were great.

My first flight ever was on a Eastern Airlines Electra from Newark to Boston in the mid 60's. Not a bad looking bird.

DD
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
Are the Shorts still around? I used to fly a Shorts from Chicago to Burlington, Iowa many years ago. Don't remember the model number. I think the seating was 1 - 2, but I'm not sure. Seeing that it was a high wing creature and it didn't fly very high on the flights, the views were great.
I've seen some Shorts cargo aircraft (still in identifiable American Eagle paint) at MIA within the last year. I remember flying one too, from INT-CLT in 1994 or 1995.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Vickers VC10

The world's most beautiful commercial jetliner
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: Independent
I can't decide if this is beautiful or ugly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.