Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the most spontaneous leisure travel you've ever booked?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum

What's the most spontaneous, last-minute, leisure travel you've ever booked? Paid with either cash or miles.

I just got an unexpected week and a half off from work starting tomorrow, and am planning on booking a solo trip from IAH to CPT.

Last edited by ChiCityJetsetter; Jul 23, 2014 at 8:30 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I was on a cruise out of San Juan and decided if book a cruise two days after I got off that ship - that cruise was out of LA
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:30 pm

This past weekend I did cmh ewr sat-Tuesday, booked on Thursday... Booked hostels after I got into NYC
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I decided to go on a two week trip to the USA from Dubai with about 3 hours notice. Called up Emirates, booked a seat and left for the airport about 30 minutes later.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Booked a PDX-DUB, SNN-PDX award ticket with DL at 4 AM Saturday 6/28. Departed on the outbound leg at 10:55 AM Sunday 6/29. Jumped on it for 60,000 miles during high season with a 1 hour connection at ATL on the outbound and 2 hour connection at JFK on the inbound.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Was watching a documentary in Vegas with my roommate on a Saturday evening, next thing I know we were driving to the airport and booking tickets to there on my phone. Arrived around 10pm, spent the night gambling, had breakfast buffet at the Wynn, then hopped on a flight back home Sunday morning at noon.

Still one of my most memorable trips - somehow ended up in a David Blaine TV special that was filming at the Palms hotel, and sat next to Jerry Rice on the flight back.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold

Felt bored and booked a weekend trip to Prague less than a week out. Luckily a friend in Europe was free and able to meet up with me.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Found a great fare to Hawaii and left the next morning....
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond

A couple of years back myself and a mate were in London and I had a bit of a trip planned round mainland Europe...anyway two days before we were meant to fly to MUC my mate said it was too cold and wanted to go somewhere warm.

Ended up booking 4 nights in Cairo and 4 nights in Cape Town - we left the next day!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I jut returned from it. I booked AUS-TXL on Saturday to leave Monday same situation, had a coupe of unexpected downtime at work and hat to take advantage.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Eons ago, bought a RT ticket at LAX for the immediate flight to see NYC for the very first time. Crashed at some motel that night and stayed at the West Side Y for a few more thereafter.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: SK Diamond
In may I booked a day trip to Helsinki (BGO-OSL-ARN-HEL and HEL-CPH-BGO) on a saturday at 02:00 with the plane departing at 06:50. Last year I booked a MR to Madrid the same way, booked around midnight with the flight leaving at 06:00.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: AFKL Platinum, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Years ago, went with my future wife to Vienna airport on Dec 31 - hoping to catch a flight to Venice, Rome, or Paris. Upon getting there, we noticed a TWA flight to NYC delayed by an hour or two. Bought two tickets 30 minutes before departure, free upgrade at the gate, best New Year's celebration ever on Times Square!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:42 am

I was at Gatwick once and decided to take a spontaneous trip. So I looked at the departure board, bought a flight on Easyjet to Vienna and back the next day, booked the Hilton using my phone app and was en route a couple hours later with nothing but the clothes on my back and credit card in my pocket. Spent an enjoyable afternoon/evening in Vienna, bought a new shirt, socks and set of underwear and flew back the next morning.

I also did a similar random and spontaneous trip to Ljubljana, but that one was actually booked online on Adria's website a few hours before I left for the airport.

Work wise, I was at the supermarket once and got a call that I needed to be in London ASAP. I kept a bag packed at the office those days, so I drove straight there, picked up the bag and was on a flight 2 hours later. One of the reasons I carry my passport with me 24/7 wherever I am in the world.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:49 am

In Feb, pretty much turned up to LHR on a Saturday morning with a view to go somewhere for 4 nights. I ended up going to Agadir in Morocco and staying 2 nights in each of the two Sofitels in Agadir! It was odd as i'm normally one to plan everything to a T, but could get used to it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.