Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you check your hotel room for corpses?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you check your hotel room for corpses?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
I don't do much, but I know if the room isn't cold or if there's noise from a leaking toilet I won't be able to sleep so I check those as soon as I put my bag down. I should check the beds but I hardly ever do. But a dead body? That has never been much of a concern.
I will say that recently I had a fiasco (self inflicted) with the alarm clock at a very high-end property. Long story short when I was crawling around the room the next morning looking for my glasses I found 2 empty water bottles and a pair of socks under the bed. Score?
Old May 28, 2014, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Most of the alarm clocks I have seen in hotel rooms do not automatically set themselves to go off - only when you set it manually, and then it is just once.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:15 am

If you arrive late in the evening and find bedbugs, what do you expect the hotel to do? Should there be no vacant rooms, is changing the sheets enough? Changing hotels at 2-3 AM would be a major PITA (but still better than having bedbugs crawling over me).
Old May 28, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Gold, UA Gold, AA Gold
I check to be sure I have shampoo to use and that the wi-fi works.

I'm more worried about getting out if there's an emergency than finding a germ or body in my room. I check the location of the stairwell not just on the map but walk down and open the door to see how the stairwell is laid out. Are there 2 doors or 1. Is it one long set between floors or does it turn?

If it's a hotel I'll be staying in multiple times, I'll walk the stairs or at least the last 3 floors because they may not follow the same pattern as the other floors. What floor is ground floor? Where does the door exit, into a hallway, the kitchen, or outside? If there is ever an emergency, I want to know how to get out.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by mmff
If you arrive late in the evening and find bedbugs, what do you expect the hotel to do? Should there be no vacant rooms, is changing the sheets enough? Changing hotels at 2-3 AM would be a major PITA (but still better than having bedbugs crawling over me).
Changing the sheets is not adequate. Here is what I did when I arrived home to keep them from spreading into the house.

Entered the house through the garage, went straight to the laundry room. All of the clothes in the suitcase and what I was wearing went straight into the washing machine. Washed twice with hot water, dried twice with relatively high heat.

Went upstairs and took a very thorough shower.

The bag and everything not clothes in it went into my car trunk in plastic garbage bags.

Drove car to work, everything that couldn't be washed in laundry or washed by hand with alcohol or frozen went into the dumpster.

Took out stuff for alcohol washing and hand washed all items (computer for example). Disassembling where possible to clean inside. Depending on value and confidence of cleaning some more went to the trash.

Things I couldn't wash well and didn't want to throw out went into the suitcase.

The suitcase went into a large trash bag and the whole thing went into a -80 degree (Centigrade) freezer for 3 months. That is about -110 degrees Farenheit. They can't survive cold at some point.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
I often think about how I should check for bedbugs and keep my suitcase on the luggage rack and use the privacy latch. Inevitably very rarely do much other then plop the suitcase down on a sofa or the other bed if their are doubles and forget the privacy latch then plop myself down to sleep and check absolutely nothing.

It's the occasional thought that counts right?

I will be truly ticked off at my laziness when I bring home bed bugs eventually and know all about the precautions I should've taken.
Old May 28, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: FT
Yah. The intruder dead body stuff is silly. Using and anti bacterial wipe to wipe down faucet handles, door handles and toilet components and sticking the remote control in a zip lock to have a barrier between it and my fingers are extra things I do. I always take the duvet off and check for bb and stains.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
Another good one is checking to see if there are any previous signs of smoking. I checked into a major chain hotel in the LAX area rather late at night. The next morning I had a message from the management saying I was being fined for smoking in the room. It think the amount was $500. Apparently there were cigarette butts on the balcony and a empty package under a chair. Housekeeping took pictures of it as evidence.
I fought it and it was eventually dropped. But it will make me more careful to check for this sort of thing.
Old May 29, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Yjt0189
Normally 1. Turn on ESPN 2. Check AC 3. Check coffee packs.
NO step 1 is turn all the lights on --- then put the luggage some where, then check and adjust the temp.

I was in one hotel this winter where it was set for 85 degrees because someone thought setting it that high would make the room warm up faster.

<lol>

Bob H
Old May 29, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I don't check specifically for intruders (or their corpses) in my hotel room but I do try to remember to perform a quick check of the room's quality and cleanliness before settling in:

• Check the bed(s). Are the sheets clean? Are the mattresses appropriately firm? Are there enough pillows?
  • Check the bathroom. Generally clean? Enough towels? Toiletries? Do the faucets work as expected?
  • Check the thermostat setting. Change as appropriate. Does heating or cooling come on quickly?
  • General check of the room. Does any of the furniture seem to be damaged or missing? Any conspicuous dirt or dust? Funny smells?

My goal is to spot most of the reasons that might cause me to ask for a room change before settling in-- because once I do that, it's much more likely I'll (reluctantly) decide to tolerate a problem because moving rooms at that point is more bother than the problem itself. Also, for problems that don't require a room change, like missing towels, I'd rather spot & correct them right away than only discover them the moment I need them.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I check for money in the bible.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I can't say I check the room for anything. I used to open the bible and shake it to see if money fell out as I'd heard that urban legend but that's about it.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by CMK10
I can't say I check the room for anything. I used to open the bible and shake it to see if money fell out as I'd heard that urban legend but that's about it.
*chuckles
Old May 30, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by mustang281man
I check for money in the bible.
I do that too! Haven't found any yet though.

I check for bed bugs and usually unplug the alarm clock.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
There is one missing: flush the toilet. You never want to call someone to fix it AFTER you've used it and it doesn't flush!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.