Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you check your hotel room for corpses?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent

I just read this article. I usually just get to my room, and take out my laptop and start working. What lengths do you go through to ensure your room is up to par, or are most people like myself and simply accept that the hotel has done a decent enough job ensuring it is relatively safe and clean?
Old May 27, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I just read this article. I usually just get to my room, and take out my laptop and start working. What lengths do you go through to ensure your room is up to par, or are most people like myself and simply accept that the hotel has done a decent enough job ensuring it is relatively safe and clean?
Well safe and clean are one thing however checking for a dead body in the room is a little different. A little over drama with the title?
Old May 27, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Well safe and clean are one thing however checking for a dead body in the room is a little different. A little over drama with the title?
Thread title made me chuckle.

Nice joke to start the work week off.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic

The article doesn't mention anything about dead corpses. Is the thread title your attempt at humor? If it is...you have a really weird sense of humor.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ
The article doesn't mention anything about dead corpses. Is the thread title your attempt at humor? If it is...you have a really weird sense of humor.
Yes it does, under "check hiding spots".
Old May 27, 2014, 9:48 am

or are most people like myself and simply accept that the hotel has done a decent enough job ensuring it is relatively safe and clean?
I am definitely not. I used to be but my experiences have changed all that. I often don't get to my LAX or LA area hotel until quite late when I fly in and I used to just flop into bed. It only took one night of sleeping on blood stained sheets to change all of that. (And I have never returned to that Hilton property)

Now I take off the bed covers and scrutinize the sheets and pillow cases. I'll walk around the room and inspect the surfaces. I find that the level of dust on higher picture frames roughly correlates to room cleanliness (The more frequently harder to reach surfaces are dusted it seems the more attention to detail is paid towards cleaning the room in general).

I'll also look over anything I plan on touching or sitting in when I first get in the room. This one was learned at the Crowne Plaza by LAX (What is it with LAX hotels?) In the morning I picked up the hotel provided shampoo bottle. Apparently the entire back of the shampoo bottle was covered with a very stick substance. Fortunately on further inspection it was a brown sticky substance but that is not the first thought that ran through my head. Either way I was not happy I had to scrub my hand to get it off
Old May 27, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by schmoove
Thread title made me chuckle.

Nice joke to start the work week off.
That was the intention, anyways. The article hit me as a bit over the top - I mean cleanliness is one thing, but to check hiding spots for potential invaders or dead bodies seemed a bit over the top to me. But then maybe I am a little too unparanoid about things like that. Are people really that concerned with someone else hiding in their room? Maybe I am too much of a slob at home, but I really don't get too worked up over bedspreads that I dont tend to even use.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by enviroian
I think it was a clever title and it made me smile.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I'd be more worried about a live corpse!
Old May 27, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I can truthfully state that every single time I've checked my hotel room for a corpse, I've found one!

Given that scary track record, I can only recommend against the practice.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM

My boss once had trouble getting her hotel room door open in Springfield, IL. It was that damn body lying on the other side of the door. It turned he was drunk, not dead, but she still found it rather unnerving.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
When I check into a new room I ALWAYS unplug the alarm clock, and I generally keep do not disturb on the door for all periods except when I need the room cleaned. Not only does it mean I am less likely to be disturbed when I am resting, it decreases somewhat the possibility of theft from the room as it creates the impassion that I am in the room when often I am not.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I check to see if there is someone already sleeping in the bed - that has happened to me a few times. I also like to check that the AC is working.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:15 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Many times when I check into a room, I set my luggage down and often run off to some planned activity (eating lunch/dinner, visiting museums, taking a train trip to some scenic location, etc.)
Too often when I returned (sometimes late in the evening), I've found that the cleaning staff didn't leave soap and/or towels. At a late hour, it may take awhile to have these delivered to you room. So I do a check for these as soon as I enter the room. [Checking that lights are working is also essential.]
Old May 27, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I always check the mattress for bed bugs. Because I had them when I lived in an apartment - and I'd pretty much rather die than have that happen again (and no, it has nothing to do with how clean YOU are). I also always check to make sure no one is hiding in the bathroom, I think I saw it on Oprah once when my mom was watching when I was a kid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.