Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your travel goals - ones you've reached, ones you are aiming to reach.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your travel goals - ones you've reached, ones you are aiming to reach.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Great question! It actually took me a while to figure out the NPS nomenclature and narrow down my goal. I mean the 59 units administered by the US National Park Service that are National Parks. I'm not including National Historical Sites, National Historical Parks, National Monuments, National Reacreation Areas etc.
I try to do the same filtering by name, but there are some trickier units to deal with. How do you classify Prince William Forest Park and Great Falls Park in Virginia?

Also, on average the NPS adds a National Park every other year (most recently, Pinnacles National Monument became Pinnacles National Park); I'm planning for a growing list of Parks.
I'm very familiar with Pinnacles (upwards of 10 visits) but haven't been there since it was elevated to National Park status. Would that count in your book?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Basically, I use this list, and every guidebook, blog, and article seems to corroborate it's the right list. It's also the list the folks trying to get to the 59 national parks in 59 weeks are using.

Pinnacles is definitely on my list. I haven't had to add a park to my spreadsheet yet, but I'm waiting for it. I have mixed feelings about adding parks... on one hand, it gets me farther from completing my goal, on the other hand, it gives me another great spot to explore.

You stumped me with Great Falls... it doesn't say in the title, but according to wikipedia it's park of the George Washington Memorial Parkway. Prince William Forest seems to be run by the forestry service, not NPS (similarly, El Yunque in Puerto Rico is a great natural site that's run by the forestry service, and not NPS). Honestly, the NPS categories stump me, and frankly, the wikipedia pages have a much better explanation of the categories than the NPS website (don't want to slam the NPS website - it is is fantastic for planning trips to individual parks). National Parks I get - those are the flagship sites in the system, like Yosemite and the Grand Canyon. National Historical Parks - larger areas of historical significance, like the area around the Liberty Bell in Philly. National Historical Sites - individual buildings or sites, like the Vanderbilt Mansion in Hudson Valley. National Recreation Areas, Lakeshores, Seashores, Rivers - nice place where you can hike, boat, swim and hang out that, like the Delaware Water Gap or Golden Gate Recreation Area... But why do we have National Battlefields and National Military Parks? And then there's place like Great Falls, which seems like a recreation area to me, but apparently is managed by NPS because it's part of a larger parkway.

Anyway, I feel like I've taken over this thread. In any case, I'm really enjoying my National Parks goal. After many years of almost only travelling internationally, I'm finally exploring my own country, and I'm amazed at what's here. Most of the parks have great ranger programs, which I enjoy. And the miles are really helping me get to some of the out of the way spots.

Last edited by Kay_nyc; Jun 12, 2014 at 10:10 pm
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by Wellington
I would like to visit the New 7 Wonders of the World as listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New7Wonders_of_the_World

I am also aiming to fill my passport. I've only got until 2020, and with Global entry I get exactly half the stamps.

So far I've only been to the colosseum. I'm a relatively new traveler though, thank you FT.

All 7 continents is also on my list.
I'm 4/7 on that list (Petra, Colosseum, Chichen Itza, Christ the Redeemer + the honorary Giza Pyramid), and I feel like I should finish it, but frankly, I don't find the list compelling. I'm sure I'll get to Machu Pichu, the Great Wall, and the Taj Mahal eventually.

I liked all the one's I've seen - but they aren't the most amazing spots I've visited. I fell in love with Rio - but the Christ the Redeemer statue was far from the most interesting site in the city. I love Mexico, and keep going back, but Chitzen Itza isn't my favorite archaeological site (Palenque in Chiapas is, and Tulum and Coba are higher on my list than Chitzen Itza).
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:04 am

I'm 4/7 on that list (Petra, Colosseum, Chichen Itza, Christ the Redeemer + the honorary Giza Pyramid), and I feel like I should finish it, but frankly, I don't find the list compelling. I'm sure I'll get to Machu Pichu, the Great Wall, and the Taj Mahal eventually.

I liked all the one's I've seen - but they aren't the most amazing spots I've visited. I fell in love with Rio - but the Christ the Redeemer statue was far from the most interesting site in the city. I love Mexico, and keep going back, but Chitzen Itza isn't my favorite archaeological site (Palenque in Chiapas is, and Tulum and Coba are higher on my list than Chitzen Itza).
+1. That list actual irritated me when it was created. I mean, public voting??
But good for Brazil for having the spirit to have landed a totally undeserved
attraction in the top 7.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I had a very basic goal earlier this year.....

Use up all of my United Mileage Plus miles for biz class tickets on Lufthansa to Europe with our travel involving at least one flight on an A380. I also wanted to set this up before UA devalued their program in terms of mileage redemption rates some months ago.....

And so, we shall embark on two separate journeys this summer: LFT-IAH-FRA-VCE & VIE-FRA-DFW-IAH-LFT followed by LFT-IAH-FRA-MUC & GVA-FRA-DFW-IAH-LFT. Both IAH-FRA segments will be on board an LH A380 in J. Return TATL flights will also be in J on LH. And I'll go from 400,128 miles on UA to 128 miles.

Thus, this mission will now be accomplished.

And I'm also now attempting to not fly with UA again (at least as far as actually spending money on tickets as opposed to award travel) as I've been able to travel exclusively on AA for the past year or so.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 13, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
You stumped me with Great Falls... it doesn't say in the title, but according to wikipedia it's park of the George Washington Memorial Parkway. Prince William Forest seems to be run by the forestry service, not NPS (similarly, El Yunque in Puerto Rico is a great natural site that's run by the forestry service, and not NPS). Honestly, the NPS categories stump me, and frankly, the wikipedia pages have a much better explanation of the categories than the NPS website
Prince William Forest was originally Chopawamsic Recreational Development Area (RDA). RDAs were created by the Park Service under the CCC. Later its name was changed to PWFP. But it has always been under the administration of the NPS. Great Falls is a part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway, as you noted, but it was constructed and managed by other agencies for 33 years before being transferred to the NPS.

Those two were trick questions-- and that was the point. The NPS has so many designations it's confusing. And they seem to come up with a new one every few years.

BTW, I agree with what I believe is your standard for making a list-- it's got to have the term "National Park" in its name. If it's just called a "Park", like these two examples, it's a lesser designation. Indeed, while these two parks are decent places to spend time, I don't think they come anywhere close to the natural beauty and grandeur of the units officially named National Parks.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:31 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
First I need a decent paying job, but:

Priority trip:

CHicago-Portland (by train)
Portland-Seattle- Vancouver (by train, time in each city)
Vancouver-Chicago

In no particular order:

Iceland
Ireland/UK (Train around Ireland, Dublin-Belfast by train,Belfast-Scotland by train,Scotland to london by train)
Scandinavia, CPH in Particular
Bangkok/Thailand
Hong Kong/Nepal
Tibet
India
Singapore
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Ah, the Empire Builder. I did that myself in 2010 and it was amazing, arguably the best long distance Amtrak train but I gotta say, the California Zephyr might just best it.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:24 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by CMK10
Ah, the Empire Builder. I did that myself in 2010 and it was amazing, arguably the best long distance Amtrak train but I gotta say, the California Zephyr might just best it.
I have heard pretty good reviews of both.

I took the Southwest Chief round trip CHI-LAX, it was a hell of a ride.

I want to do the Empire Builder because I have never been to that part of the country, and hey might as well go for it if the price is right for a sleeper cheapest I have seen is 702 for two people in a roomette.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
VIA Canada train across the Rockies is supposed to be spectacular as well ... definitely a bucket list item
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
I have heard pretty good reviews of both.

I took the Southwest Chief round trip CHI-LAX, it was a hell of a ride.

I want to do the Empire Builder because I have never been to that part of the country, and hey might as well go for it if the price is right for a sleeper cheapest I have seen is 702 for two people in a roomette.
Hey it's worth $702 or even more. Meals are included (that's at least half a dozen) AND you can bring your own alcohol which you can't do in coach. Plus the experience makes it worth it, you're basically getting a moving hotel with all meals included and able to see a lot of the country you might otherwise not.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 2P
I just got home from a trip to Barcelona and the Midi and added two more UNESCO sites - both in Barcelona. I am up to 65 now.

I visited the Palau de la Msica Catalana and a many Gaudi properties.

I also saw the Canal du Midi and Carcassonne - the first while driving and the latter from a rest stop - took a photo - but won't count them.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Goal was 100 countries by age 30 - missed it by a year
Next goal is 150 by age 40 - should be reached as I have a few more years

Do an overland trip across Africa and South America - done
Transiberian was a goal, just did it, as was the train across Australia
Galapagos is next.

Flew a million miles by age 35 without a single work flight

Road trip across North America is something I'd like to do one day as well.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:21 pm

I'm going to be checking off a goal next month, driving CA-1 from San Jose to Los Angeles. For my birthday I'll be going to Monterey for a FT dinner then taking two days to drive slowly to LA. I'll be stopping in San Luis Obispo, the Solvang Area, Santa Barbara and probably a few more places.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Now that I'm no longer working, I am energized and able to reach my next goal: lifetime Gold status in BAEC. If I really applied myself, I could do it in a year, but we'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.