Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your travel goals - ones you've reached, ones you are aiming to reach.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your travel goals - ones you've reached, ones you are aiming to reach.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP, UA Gold
Never really set up goals, just generalizations. I would like to visit every continent besides Antartica. Currently, i still need South America, Africa, and true Asia (been to the middle east, i dont count that.)

Secondly, id like to be able to say ive flown most, if not all current modern passenger jets. (with a focus on widebodies.)

Later this year, i can get closer to accomplishing both, as im looking at going to Korea, flying Emirates and their A380.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:58 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Crossed off airport #50 (BRU) and Country #10 (Belgium) this past weekend!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I love hearing about the travel goals of others, especially ones that have been accomplished. I have a few of my own..

Visit all seven continents.
I'm at three now (North America, Europe, and Australia) and have tickets to South America (August) and Asia (April) booked.

Visit all 50 states.
I'm at 26/50.

Visit all 50 states.
I'm at 26/50.

Visit all 206 sovereign states.
I'm at 19/206 (including booked trips).
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: DL,EK
My goal is to visit every country (loosely defined since some places may be difficult to classify - e.g. Transnistria and Abkhazia). I've been to about half and I am 42 years old. Trying to do it all by the time I am 55.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Finally hit Yemen two months ago to complete the set.
How did you get to Yemen two months ago? Tourist visas have been hard to come by in the past year.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:44 am

I figured out where I really wanted to live, and moved there. And now I don't particularly want to leave.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: Auto shop by CHO Frequent Oil Changer; Kayak Incognito Mode Platinum
Complete Major League Baseball and the National Hockey League. Rules: once I visit a stadium, I count that team for as long as it stays in the metro area (i.e. my Igloo visit in '09 still counts as completing Pittsburgh even though the Penguins moved to Consol Arena, but if the Coyotes move to Seattle, I'll have to do them over again). I used to try to get at least one new of each a year, but with a little guy now, this project is on hiatus until he's old enough to do it with me.

MLB: 20/30 (23 stadiums visited)
NHL: 15/30 (16 arenas visited)

US States: 40/50
Canadian provinces and territories: 4/13
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VT_hawkeye
Complete Major League Baseball and the National Hockey League. Rules: once I visit a stadium, I count that team for as long as it stays in the metro area (i.e. my Igloo visit in '09 still counts as completing Pittsburgh even though the Penguins moved to Consol Arena, but if the Coyotes move to Seattle, I'll have to do them over again). I used to try to get at least one new of each a year, but with a little guy now, this project is on hiatus until he's old enough to do it with me.

MLB: 20/30 (23 stadiums visited)
NHL: 15/30 (16 arenas visited)
A fun goal! I had that one too and I completed it last year with Wrigley Field as my 30th stadium. I go by stadiums not metro areas so in 2017 I'll drop back to 29/30 after Atlanta moves. Until I go to the new park that is!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
My latest segment (GRU-BCN) helped me break the one million flown kilometers barrier (as a European, this is what counts for me; "miles" are the awards I get for flying )

In this trip I also flew 4 legs in a day for the first time. For the thrill of it, one stopover would have been enough to take me from A to B!

I don't set up many goals, I prefer to reach new milestones as they come along, most of them unexpectedly.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
How did you get to Yemen two months ago? Tourist visas have been hard to come by in the past year.
Really no problem at all. The visa was pretty simple--I was working with a tour company in Socotra and their partner in Sana'a got the visa for me. I received a provisional visa by fax that I exchanged for a visa sticker in my passport at the airport when I arrived. It seemed quite straightforward. Figuring out the flights in and out of Socotra was the most challenging part of the trip!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
My #1 dream trip was Australia and New Zealand, I spent 8 weeks in 2013 making that dream come true.

My next dream trip is a photo safari in South Africa. I don't have that scheduled yet.

Between now and the end of 2015 I have Alaska, South America, Antarctica booked for the first time, and Great Britain and Europe/Mediterranean booked again.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Done:

Every continent (yes, including Antarctica).

All 50 states in the U.S.

A game at every major league ballpark

Various specific destinations (e.g. the Taj Mahal, Zanzibar, Victoria Falls, Easter Island, Timbuktu)

To do:

Every state capital

Every U.S. national park

Every province in Canada

Every U.S. territorial possession

Every remaining country in British empire

Every country that is part of former Soviet Union

Various specific destinations (e.g. Ethiopia, Samarkand and Bukhara, Angel Falls)
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Visit all the US National Parks... I'm at 13% done now, should be 25% done by the end of 2014.
That's on my radar screen, too. Not specifically as a goal (yet) but as something I do think about periodically. I'm curious, what definition do you use for what counts as a National Park? Is there a particular piece of software you use to help track this? (I think USNP had a smartphone app some time back with a feature that helped do this but they changed it.)
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Great question! It actually took me a while to figure out the NPS nomenclature and narrow down my goal. I mean the 59 units administered by the US National Park Service that are National Parks. I'm not including National Historical Sites, National Historical Parks, National Monuments, National Reacreation Areas etc. I do visit the other types of NPS units, I'm just not targeting a visit to every single one. The US National Parks wikipedia entry has a handy list. The book "Your Guide to the National Parks" by Stone Road Press is a fantastic resource for planning logistics. Also, on average the NPS adds a National Park every other year (most recently, Pinnacles National Monument became Pinnacles National Park); I'm planning for a growing list of Parks. Miles are really handy for getting to hard to reach park (American Samoa) and offsetting thr cost of hopping over to the West Coast for a weekend for weekend park trip. I like exploring all the parks and taking my time, so this is really a long term goal. I've only been working on it for a year and a half, and I' m really happy with my progress and with the great experiences I've had.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:51 pm

I would like to visit the New 7 Wonders of the World as listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New7Wonders_of_the_World

I am also aiming to fill my passport. I've only got until 2020, and with Global entry I get exactly half the stamps.

So far I've only been to the colosseum. I'm a relatively new traveler though, thank you FT.

All 7 continents is also on my list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.