Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your travel goals - ones you've reached, ones you are aiming to reach.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your travel goals - ones you've reached, ones you are aiming to reach.

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: BA GfL
This year I accomplished my goal of visiting at least one country for every letter in the alphabet (I gave myself a pass on the letter X since there's no country that starts with that letter). Finally hit Yemen two months ago to complete the set. I am at 70 countries and 46 US states now: still need to hit Alabama, North Dakota, Oklahoma, and Michigan.

I have a standing goal of at least one new country per year. But I need a new goal like the alphabet one...it was very inspirational and interesting!
Old May 28, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth

Kay, what a great idea! My parents are planning to visit all the Prez homes. I think they are at 20 right now. I visited FDR's home in Hyde Park with my Mom last year
Hyde Park is one of my local NPS sites - love the place. I've visited twice so fare and I might go back for amother day trip this year.

I've other goals besides visiting the national parks... visiting every country in the Caribbean, every county in Central America, and visiting 100 countries total are in the back of my mind. But it's easier to focus on the goals one at a time, so I'll be working on the parks for the next few years.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:14 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth
Good morning!
MSPGabe, good Lord. Too bad you don't get to keep the miles but I suspect your employer pays for hotels and food so I hope you have had good meals.
Not so! I am not a flight attendant...outside of flights, I pay everything myself. I don't so much where I stay, as long as it's affordable and near mass transit, so I spent little on hotels.

As far as meals go, I admit I'm not a terribly adventurous eater. Not a seafood fan in the slightest, and never much liked veggies. I do make a point to try different food for each new place I go, though.

Looking forward to another Japan trip shortly to eat the fantastic Ramen.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 2P
I am loving the ideas everyone has. Please continue!
Old May 29, 2014, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Not quite the same as many, but from one perspective I did round the world eastbound and westbound, both within about a month of each other.

Ended up with a work trip to Asia (via direct SFO to Hong Kong flightss) shortly before a personal trip/mileage run to Europe and Asia the long way.

The latter was a crazy combination of some very cheap paid tickets and an award to get back from Europe - SFO-DFW-LHR-MAD-LHR-HKG-CRK-BKK-SIN-LHR-CDG-JFK-DFW-SFO.

But I look at it as HKG-SFO-DFW-LHR-HKG and SFO-HKG-CRK-BKK-SIN-LHR-CDG-JFK-DFW-SFO with a couple of layovers.

Routed through Shanghai once (getting a day to go into the city) just to be able to say I've been to the PRC.

I grew up on the east coast but had a lot of family out west where I now reside; my folks would road-trip coast to coast every couple of years over the summer. They varied the route so that we hit at least some corner of all of the lower 48 by the time I was 12.

Open goals:
* Am hoping to make it to Africa in the next couple of years just to be able to say I've been to all 6 inhabited continents (and sadly, unless things in Egypt settle down, I do mean "just" -- I can't say I've got anything there I've got a great desire to visit otherwise.)

* Am hoping to make it to AK and HI in the next couple of years in part to be able to say I've been to all 50 states (HI has other appeal; Alaska is pretty much just a pin in a map.)

* I'd like to get to India, although there's definite cultural, historic and culinary appeal beyond ticking off the world's 2nd biggest country and the farthest big country from the US.

* I've wanted for years to traverse Europe to Asia by rail; that one will have to wait for things to settle down.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Goals:
- Ride every Amtrak train
- Ride every inch of Amtrak track
- 100 Countries
- Buy a used car off eBay Motors, drive it home on all back roads (preferably something awesome like a 1987 Mercedes 560SL)
- Fly to all the Top 100 US Airports (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ing-goals.html)
- Go to my 17 or so "cheat states" where I haven't really been to them, just enough to count them, and legitimize them.

Reached:
- All 50 States
Old May 30, 2014, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
A few goals for now:

-Indulge in nutmeg and mace in the Malukus (there's one particular FTer I could probably ask about this...)
I'm probably not who you had in mind, but I did go to the Bandas back in 1997 and they're really unique. Some small islands, a volcano, forts and not many visitors. Looked like no new buildings since Dutch times on Bandaneira, with old cannon barrels just lying by the streets (historic archaeologists would go nuts). Got locked in the biggest fort and had to climb the gate. The hardwood forest on Banda Besar was really beautiful but endangered from logging. Met a yacht guy who said the area was what Jimmy Buffett really meant, though there was no nightlife and not a single ATM. You had to get all meals at the guesthouse. All the world's nutmeg came from that island group for 200 years, and some is still grown.

Didn't know at the time, but overall that was my greatest trip (so far, at least). Jakarta to Ambon on 2-stop Sempati flight, 3 days in Ambon, PELNI boat to Jayapura via Manokwari and Biak, 2 days in Jayapura, cargo plane to Baliem Valley and 4 days there, then Merpati back to Jayapura, then Ambon again, then PELNI for short trip to Bandas (huge locals turnout at dock, then walking through place that looked out of 1930s...a real experience), then Merpati back to Ambon and then Bali 4 days. Total damage for airfares around $705. The Baliem was unbelievable, with the Bandas runner-up.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by nkedel
* Am hoping to make it to AK and HI in the next couple of years in part to be able to say I've been to all 50 states (HI has other appeal; Alaska is pretty much just a pin in a map.)
Alaska is really incredibly beautiful, especially in leaf season in September when it's also more affordable and mosquitoes aren't nearly as bad. At 25K for an award it's also a really great deal if you can book. Did my first trip in 1997 in October (slightly late) and using hostels, but it still made a great impression. Last year it was a 2-fer with PDX and JNU, and this year it's ANC as a stopover to FAI.

You could also go in solstice season like I did once (around 10 days from peak) in FAi with sunset around 12:30 and sunrise around 2:45 and it never really getting dark. Denali National Park from 3-6 a.m. in such conditions is interesting.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re: OP.

Would like to go to Iceland and see the lunar landscapes and all that.

Also the Seychelles. Blame the travel magazines and their pictures.

Pitcairn Island might be interesting.

India and China would need about 3 weeks each, at least, and that has been a barrier.

Have been to all 50 states, DC, PR, the USVI, Guam, the Northern Marianas but NOT American Samoa (and have been to western Samoa but the ferry schedule wouldn't work out).

Tonga is the notable Polynesian place still missed, and others need more exploration.

Argentina might be most achievable.

Syracuse is the largest U.S. city I haven't been to but can't say I'm itching to see.

DONES:

...and am glad I got to a number of SE Asian places, including Angkor, when I did because the tourism volume is much greater now.

Despite the deteriorating airline environment for fares, FF benefits and overall conditions, have been able to go to Macchu Picchu, Easter Island, Cape Town, Abu Dhabi, Amsterdam and Mongolia in the past 2 years, thanks in part to fares found in Mileage Run Deals.

Last edited by RustyC; May 30, 2014 at 2:04 am
Old May 30, 2014, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
* Am hoping to make it to Africa in the next couple of years just to be able to say I've been to all 6 inhabited continents (and sadly, unless things in Egypt settle down, I do mean "just" -- I can't say I've got anything there I've got a great desire to visit otherwise.)

Just my opinion...intended as encouragement(!)

Fifty three countries in Africa. (I've been to 48 of them) If Egypt doesn't appeal, find another. And make it a REAL trip to Africa, not a Disney safari.

Alaska - the greatest State among the fifty! Okay, maybe just top-five. But I'd certainly make it more than a pin in the map...over the cultural wasteland/tourist h*ll of Honolulu. (The rest of Hawaii is more appealing.) I overstate the case against Hawaii based on my personal biases, but do reconsider.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:42 am

I love the ideas here...very inspiring!

I'm still a relatively new traveler...so my goals are to visit every state in the U.S. (been to 30 or so) and every continent. Only been in N. America & Europe, but going to Australia in July. I'm not sure if Antarctica is a realistic possibility, but maybe.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
I decided on my goal a few years back, visit every country.

Currently at 157 of 196 and aiming to finish in September, 2016.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 2P
Good morning everyone

Just home from trip number 45 to Europe - Paris and Normandy.

I just remembered another "milestone". I filled my last passport (no extra pages) in 8 months. The new one has extra pages and I'm unlikely to ever fill that although you never know.

Love the ideas here!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: QF
I'd love to spend a year just roaming the world with no plan and no real destination. Just fly whenever I want, where ever I want.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I've lost the appetite for list-checking. I want to spend more time in places I've previously visited only briefly. I'd like to go back to Syria if it ever settles down, and visit Aleppo or what's left of it now. Sad what's happened.

I see by my TripAdvisor profile I've been to 43 countries. I'm not too bothered about adding to it, although I probably will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.