Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

10 classic airliners you can still fly on... but hurry!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

Awesome post, but strangely i have no desire to fly on any of the aircraft.
Old May 27, 2014, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1066 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Originally Posted by largeeyes
Too bad Air Chatham no longer runs in Tonga....was looking forward to the DC-4!
They still fly the Convair to and from Chatham Islands.
I was on a Convair 580 last week. Always entertaining when the pilot says, "we're going to make a run at the mountains."
Old May 27, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I remember flying jump seat on the flight deck of a Convair 580 from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay some years ago....the old 580 with the Allison turboprop engines is quite an airplane.

Also flew on a Curtiss C-46 some years ago as well.....and the crew had the side cargo door open in the rear of the aircraft as we taxied out to the runway which enabled us to wave at a United Boeing 737 flight crew that kindly let us take off first. They waved back.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: FT
they should add the Lancaster there...I plan to take a flight in the Canadian one when it returns from the UK after the tour in the summer.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by theassassin
Awesome post, but strangely i have no desire to fly on any of the aircraft.
Haha yes I agree. I have the desire to keep living as long as possible actually getting to fly them rather than in them is a different story however.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Awesome post
Old May 27, 2014, 8:36 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Of course, this misses all of the classics that many of us flew frequently even the early years of the 21st century (setting aside the 20th century): DC9, DC10, 727, not to mention the A300, A310, Il96, Il86, Yak40, Tu154, Tu134, Jetstream31, Trislander, etc.

I am kicking myself for having missed the chance to fly the DC3 a few years back, however.
Great_circle likes this.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:52 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by chalf
Of course, this misses all of the classics that many of us flew frequently even the early years of the 21st century (setting aside the 20th century): DC9, DC10, 727, not to mention the A300, A310, Il96, Il86, Yak40, Tu154, Tu134, Jetstream31, Trislander, etc.

I am kicking myself for having missed the chance to fly the DC3 a few years back, however.
There are a few people offering 'rides' on a DC-3 in the US. One near Chicago, another near Naples, FL. i'm looking into this. Probably easier that flying to the NWT to fly on Buffalo.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Any scheduled pax carriers still flying a 727?
Iran Aseman Airlines still do.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by pogonation
Haha yes I agree. I have the desire to keep living as long as possible actually getting to fly them rather than in them is a different story however.
Most of the aircraft shown in the link are likely older than you are, or at least older than the median age here on FT. As is typically stated, you are safer in any of these aircraft than you are driving your car. So, if your desire is to live as long as possible, you will fly these aircraft and give up driving.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
Most of the aircraft shown in the link are likely older than you are, or at least older than the median age here on FT. As is typically stated, you are safer in any of these aircraft than you are driving your car. So, if your desire is to live as long as possible, you will fly these aircraft and give up driving.
There's a Cubana Illyushin on that list. Are you certain you don't want to amend that statement?

Last edited by PLeblond; May 27, 2014 at 5:08 pm
Old May 27, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Watching Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown / Colombia and they're flying in a DC-3 on "Air Colombia" into the Amazon.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by tireman77
There's a Cubana Illyushin on that list. Are you certain you don't want to amend that statement?
Amend it being older than the median age of people on FT? Or, for safety record? What is the safety record of Cubana Illyushins? I don't recall any news reports of them falling out of the sky any time recently.
Old May 28, 2014, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by whimike
Amend it being older than the median age of people on FT? Or, for safety record? What is the safety record of Cubana Illyushins? I don't recall any news reports of them falling out of the sky any time recently.
Cubana's safety record is not very good. The fact that the fleet is so small and flights are not very frequent probably attributes to the lack of major incidents. There are many incidents within Cuba that don't make the news. When I was there a few years back an Antonov AN-II crashed near Cienfuegos. I was at the Canadian Embassy the day after and the Consular side was on high alert (2 passengers were tourists)

I also recall of an event in YUL a few years back of Cubana pilots took off after being repeatedly told to hold their position. That flight crew was no longer welcome flying into Canada.

I would pass on flying them.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by FN-GM
Iran Aseman Airlines still do.
Now 4,5 years later, does anyone know if they still operate the 727? Iran might be a bit complicated to visit. But if that’s what it takes to travel a once so common aircraft that I only could fly a very few times and that’s almost gone now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.