Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is there really any difference in the ECONOMY CLASS flyer experience between airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there really any difference in the ECONOMY CLASS flyer experience between airlines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by JMN57
Uh, yes. In J or F.
Congratulations if your company pays for it.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by Artpen100
This pretty much all makes sense:
"- it almost exclusively relies on O/D traffic - usually not a good thing
- the night curfew at European airports is a major issue, and even a slight delay can cause serious issues (afaik that´s the reason there´s no daytime flight to FRA/MUC)
- it´s more expensive to operate
- it´s not ideal if you need to use ground transportation either when departing or upon arrival
- you end up "wasting" a full day travelling and many companies will discourage that on a business trip when there are other alternatives"

Though I am curious how it will impact my jetlag, and intend to look into it next time I have to go IAD-LHR. If I can be persuaded to fly UA.
From my own limited experience that day time flight leaves me with no jet lag at all although I'm lucky enough to fly at the pointy end. There are dozens of hotels around Heathrow for an overnight or the underground/overground trains run till all hours normally. to get into the city. If I have to fly on anything that arrives about 7am then I usually do the zombie impression for 12 hours at least. Age and infirmity
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by invisible
Uh, yes. In J or F.
Congratulations if your company pays for it.
That would be me. Either $ or an upgrade instrument.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by lloydah

From my own limited experience that day time flight leaves me with no jet lag at all although I'm lucky enough to fly at the pointy end. There are dozens of hotels around Heathrow for an overnight or the underground/overground trains run till all hours normally. to get into the city. If I have to fly on anything that arrives about 7am then I usually do the zombie impression for 12 hours at least. Age and infirmity
Ditto
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Good for you. I have a simple rule - if upgrade per hour fight time costs more than I make per hour - I don't do it.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I've not seen anyone suggest Iceland Air yet. Their premium economy comes in at around GBP900 for a decent product, and economy for GBP500. It means you can have a day stopover in Iceland and visit either Reykjavik or the Blue Lagoon in Keflavik, which, in my opinion, is one place everyone should see if they can. It also breaks up the TATL flight, so even though the economy seat is fairly standard you're not in it for long. I found the FA's and the food to be good.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: Independent
Their PE product is just an economy seat with the middle seat empty (Euro Business), right? Do they have daytime flights from the US?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've done the day, the early evening and the late night flight options. The day flight just leaves me tired but fully awake come normal bed time, meaning i don't get to sleep until the early hours. The early evening is too early for me to feel sleepy, and gets in very early meaning by the time i have bags, have a car / have got the tube, I hit the prime London rush hour time. The late night flight is my preference, it is late enough that I am ready for 'quiet' (I have never been able to sleep on planes, even with flat beds) so can watch a movie - I like that the rest of the plane is also asleep, quieter around me! And it gets in at a reasonable morning time, so I don't have to play sardines on the tube!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Their PE product is just an economy seat with the middle seat empty (Euro Business), right? Do they have daytime flights from the US?
The Economy Comfort product has 33" of legroom instead of 32" and has the middle seat blocked out, but you also get priority check in and lounge access, plus free booze on board.

The JFK legs are: 14:10 dep; 23:40 arr and 20:40 dep, 06:15 arr next day. So if you don't want an overnight flight you can take the afternoon departure from JFK.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by roberino
I've not seen anyone suggest Iceland Air yet. Their premium economy comes in at around GBP900 for a decent product, and economy for GBP500. It means you can have a day stopover in Iceland and visit either Reykjavik or the Blue Lagoon in Keflavik, which, in my opinion, is one place everyone should see if they can. It also breaks up the TATL flight, so even though the economy seat is fairly standard you're not in it for long. I found the FA's and the food to be good.
And it's another airline where I've heard that the elite vs. non-elite distinctions are minimal. I want to try it sometime...
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by roberino
That's because the OP's question was about NYC-LON direct flights (and I believe they meant truly direct flights).
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
Good for you. I have a simple rule - if upgrade per hour fight time costs more than I make per hour - I don't do it.
Good, rational rule. I'd amend that to after tax unless one can deduct the travel. Of course, if it is billable without consequence, that is another story. As I said upthread, I just don't do TATL or TPAC redeyes in Y anymore - I have some arthritis/stenosis around C5 which is not generally a problem but if I get it irritated it is a problem. I never really understood the genesis of the phrase "pain in the neck" before.

Last edited by JMN57; Apr 26, 2014 at 9:17 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by librarygal
On an upcoming trip to Europe in 2015 we had the choice of a number of airlines to fly to London. Our friends and relatives all had their suggestions which one we should go on. Many of them really liked one airline over another.

I told them we would be flying coach and have no status or airline miles on any of them so a upgrade was out of the picture. Each of the choices were about the same price and had 31 inch pitch and 17.5 inch width. All offered food and video monitors and wide body planes.

So do you think our experience will be any different on one airline or another in economy class non stop from NYC to London?
Yes. Of course there are. But some people stick to a certain alliance and some people are more price sensitive customers and some people look for time schedules.

The US to UK flights are extremely safe and have modern equipment from all the carriers. Overall best is British Airways in economy class if you want best combination of service and seat room. Virgin Atlantic has the nicest lounge at the airport if that is important to you. Slightly less legroom but service is decent. Both airlines have modern first rate equipment.

Delta and American tend to be a tad worse. American has the new 777-300ER on the London route and Delta probably is still using the 767ER on this route which are older planes although Delta has put in new seating.

I wouldn't be hesitant to fly on any of the carriers and additional competition from Norwegian Air Shuttle to London Gatwick from JFK will also be in the mix soon on a Dreamliner which is a 767ER replacement for all practical purposes and should have a low cost structure.

Aer Lingus has also been a low cost alternative if you don't mind going a little out of the way for a cheaper fare.

But if you want the absolute best economy class, then British Airways would be the carrier of choice. American's new 777-300ER is tempting especially on the one world alliance with British Airways if these flights are available but expect better service + seating on British Airways flights.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'd say yes. I flew LH to Europe recently, they're probably in the middle of the back or lower in term of world airlines but service was amazing.

Drink Service (Free alcohol) and snacks
Meal
Drink Service with Meal
After Dinner Drinks with choice of Brandy or Baileys

Free after dinner drinks in coach? Compare that to UA for example.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by librarygal
On an upcoming trip to Europe in 2015 we had the choice of a number of airlines to fly to London. Our friends and relatives all had their suggestions which one we should go on. Many of them really liked one airline over another.

I told them we would be flying coach and have no status or airline miles on any of them so a upgrade was out of the picture. Each of the choices were about the same price and had 31 inch pitch and 17.5 inch width. All offered food and video monitors and wide body planes.

So do you think our experience will be any different on one airline or another in economy class non stop from NYC to London?
Sheesh I don't even know where to start... well, ds some airlines have more pitch, some charge fees for carry ons, some have IFE, some have free snacks, some only have free water, and some have free nothing... your question is like asking if all F cabins are the same

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.