Traveling on two passports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling on two passports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
I also think that if you were going to a country that did not "like" people from one of your countries (mostly Americans here I suspect) then, if you could pull it off, you could take on the complete persona of being from the other country which would be begin with the passport and continue with language, dress, tipping rates, etc.
Not necessarily-the UK as well (in particular for Argentina partially thanks to the K regime. Even BNO isn't exempt from scrutiny as HK people have sympathised with those in the Falklands in the past with regards to Argentina being like a bully (same with PRC in HK) and how a referendum would likely yield the same result.)
Same thing with Chinese tourists (they in particular have a bad reputation in many nations, though I don't hold and never have held a PRC passport so I cannot comment on this myself.)
Besides, I know plenty of Americans who are great people and remember that they are in a foreign nation when on holiday, and respect the local people (this earns them a lot of respect.)
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mandolino
Or it costs more.

USA is usually one of the easiest passports to enter countries with, judging by the issues our service techs from various countries have. The exception I know of would be Brazil - perhaps some other South American countries.
'Some' would only include Argentina and Paraguay at this moment (though Americans have visa free in Veezuela, I have no idea how they would be treated with the propaganda that Chavez and his successor have spread across Venezuela.)
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:45 am
Suspended

You have the basic reasons correctly figured out. Visa requirement or cost can vary and lines can vary like for the EU. Generally speaking, where the holder of certain passports are not welcomed, those are not really countries you would want to visit in any case, assuming you have a choice.

There are other times when using one vs. the other can have advantages but you start going into grey areas then or outright legal avoidance of something.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
You have the basic reasons correctly figured out. Visa requirement or cost can vary and lines can vary like for the EU. Generally speaking, where the holder of certain passports are not welcomed, those are not really countries you would want to visit in any case, assuming you have a choice.

There are other times when using one vs. the other can have advantages but you start going into grey areas then or outright legal avoidance of something.
Not necessarily-up until recently the UAE was also true for one passport was welcomed but not the other (as I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for a visa.)
The UAE is also a very developed and safe nation from my experiences both in DXB and AUH.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Sometimes little things are indications of other things AA. What do you know about the labour market and how it works in the UAE?

This just happened this past weekend.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...rk&ir=New+York
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Sometimes little things are indications of other things AA. What do you know about the labour market and how it works in the UAE?

Such protests seldom give the full picture. It's true that most visas in the UAE are dependant on employment. You lose your job, you leave the country. Unless another employer takes over your sponsorship, which happens frequently. Like it or not, Pakistani labourers from feudal areas of Pakistan go to the UAE because they can make much more in better conditions than at home, and they remit vast amounts back.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So similar problems don't exist elsewhere? (even in developed nations, like the UK.)
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:34 am
Suspended

Name a country that UK Immigration will not welcome you from AA. There is NO nationality that I am aware of that will get you denied entry automatically if you try to enter the UK.

Bear in mind the original point was about 'not welcome'. Some countries do indeed deny entry to a national of specific countries for no reason other than their nationality. It goes against human rights. They can deny you because they are suspicious of your motives for coming to their country but they cannot deny you simply based on your nationality. That's no different than denying you based on colour, religion, etc. Pure discrimination.

My point is that if a country is willing to deny someone entry based solely on nationality, it is indicative of the type of country you are looking at.

I should note that it is unlikely that any country will acknowledge such practices. But if 9 out of 10 visa applicants from a specific country are refused a visa then clearly they are doing so in practice.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
My point is that if a country is willing to deny someone entry based solely on nationality, it is indicative of the type of country you are looking at.
My direction about choosing passports was not so much about countries' official attitude toward persons from other countries (which would include beingf denied entry) but more about the "people" and their attitudes towards citizens of other countries. What I mean is that, if you use a passport coming into a country, then you are probably going to use it everywhere else. You could chose your clothes, language etc, so that you completely project yourself as being from that country. That was more my point about choosing which passport to use.
But, I think it is obviously relevent to think about your ability to get into the country.
In fact, here is a hypothetical:
I go from the US to Europe (leaving on my US Passport) and then use my Italian passport to go to Cuba fro Europe where I have a great time flyfishing for Tarpon in Cuba as an "Italian" not an American.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:06 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
"people" and their attitudes towards citizens of other countries. What I mean is that, if you use a passport coming into a country, then you are probably going to use it everywhere else. You could chose your clothes, language etc, so that you completely project yourself as being from that country. That was more my point about choosing which passport to use.

I go from the US to Europe (leaving on my US Passport) and then use my Italian passport to go to Cuba fro Europe where I have a great time flyfishing for Tarpon in Cuba as an "Italian" not an American.
John,

You are who you are, not what some government says. Unless you are trying to avoid your past, why would you try to hide who you are by dressing oddly?

The majority of Cubans hold no animosity towards Americans or Italians.

If you are an American who has grown up and spent all your life in the US, you aren't going to be able to change that on a whim. From what I have seen Italians will accept such people as Americans but not if they try too hard to pretend they are Italian, at least until they have spent a significant amount of time in Italy. Of course having Italian ancestry helps a bit.

This has nothing to do with what passport you hold.

There are plenty of people who hold the passport of a country they have no connection to. When they travel to that country they feel like and are treated as a foreigner, except by government officials. The countries of your birth, your education, your ancestry, your nationality and your residence can all be different.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Name a country that UK Immigration will not welcome you from AA. There is NO nationality that I am aware of that will get you denied entry automatically if you try to enter the UK.

Bear in mind the original point was about 'not welcome'. Some countries do indeed deny entry to a national of specific countries for no reason other than their nationality. It goes against human rights. They can deny you because they are suspicious of your motives for coming to their country but they cannot deny you simply based on your nationality. That's no different than denying you based on colour, religion, etc. Pure discrimination.

I should note that it is unlikely that any country will acknowledge such practices. But if 9 out of 10 visa applicants from a specific country are refused a visa then clearly they are doing so in practice.
Denial of entry based on citizenship or additional hassle for entry based on citizenship, both may be said to line on the spectrum of "pure discrimination". The UK hassles some countries' citizens more than other countries' citizens. Most countries -- rich or poor or in the middle -- unfortunately do this kind of thing.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 4:55 pm

Some people think being asked questions is hassle.

Most countries, including UK, won't deny entry to anyone with the correct visa and proof of funds/return ticket, but they will certainly give more scrutiny to those from nationalities with a history of overstaying.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:07 am
Suspended

As they should mandolino, as they should.

People are always quick to say, 'why are the authorities hassling me' but never think to say, 'why do they need to do this? Who has caused them to do this? Who is it I should really blame for this?'

When large numbers of their fellow countrymen overstay and work illegally, who is to blame when an innocent traveller gets hassled at Immigration because of their nationality? Is immigration to blame or their fellow countrymen? The answer seems quite clear to me.

So taking that back to the issue of photo ID, who is really to blame? Why do they ask for photo ID should be the question and why have they had to do so, the next question.

Right now, the USA is the number one country for credit card fraud. Why? Because as the only country not on chip and pin, it is the easiest country in which to commit credit card fraud. In order to combat that, asking for photo ID is the best the merchant can do.

So WHY is the USA so behind the times and who should the person who does not want to be hassled blame? You can blame the crooks who commit the credit card fraud. You can blame your banks for using outdated technology which has put the American comsumer in the position of being the easiest marks for the crooks. You can blame yourself for putting up with it. But can you really blame the merchant for trying to STOP the fraud?

Blame is often assigned to the person who hassles you. Whether it is a salesclerk in a store or an Immigration Officer at an airport. But very often, they are not the person you should be blaming.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The US is the biggest target for credit card thieves because the US economy is the largest economy with the most credit cards issued with many having high available credit relative to most other OECD countries. Even credit cards with chips and pin are used for fraud daily in large volumes too -- via online and telephone purchases and creation of swipe and sig cards that then get used at various brick-and-mortar retail outlets.

Given the relative ease of getting fake ID or fraudulent real ID that is generally not going to be reliably recognized by most customer-facing, retail business employees as illegitimate for use, photo ID checking hassles the innocent and the criminally incompetent.

By the way, real ID is often used with fake credit cards or fraudulently-acquired real credit cards.

Originally Posted by mandolino
Some people think being asked questions is hassle.

Most countries, including UK, won't deny entry to anyone with the correct visa and proof of funds/return ticket, but they will certainly give more scrutiny to those from nationalities with a history of overstaying.
The UK have denied admission to people with the correct travel docs, proof of funds/return ticket and no known history of unlawful activity.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 3, 2014 at 3:33 pm
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:33 pm

. The UK have denied admission to people with the correct travel docs, proof of funds/return ticket and no known history of unlawful activity.
On what basis?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.