Search

Traveling on two passports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Yoshi212

Originally Posted by onobond
Failing to see why anyone needs a second passport - beeing the citizen of one country - what gives me the right to vote in yet another country? In my narrow area of friends, the only persons having double citizenships use it for tax evasions or other reasons most other people would oppose anyway

Ease of travel? Employment? Easier relocation when/if .... hits the fan and 1 country becomes a Draconian Empire. That's why I have 2. Has saved me a bundle on visas and just makes certain kinds of travel easier. Also working in the EU with an EU passport sure makes things easier than being a "yankee" as I am referred to as from time to time by my European clients.
Yes, but as the rules of getting an American citizenship requires you to denounce any other citizenship, there must be some rule breaking here, no ??
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You asked why one would "need" a second passport..... but as for your rule breaking questions I've read about both sides of that coin. There is case law that basically says the US Gov't doesn't care but there are also experiences where people are asked to surrender a passport back to the original country. I got my EU after my US as I was born with my US so I cannot talk to that as a personal experience. I can tell you that Germany is being a pain in the ... about renewing my passport. Luckily I live in NY so I can go to the Consulate near the UN and go nuts on them there.

Yes, but as the rules of getting an American citizenship requires you to denounce any other citizenship, there must be some rule breaking here, no ??
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:24 pm

Although the U.S. government does not endorse dual citizenship as a matter of policy, it recognizes the existence of dual citizenship and completely tolerates the maintenance of multiple citizenship by U.S. citizens.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by cdn1
Shouldn't she be entering Italy on the Italian passport ? That will also allow faster entry due to being EU/Schengen. I doubt if the regular "all passports" inspection lane is any faster than the resident line at any Schengen airport these days.....

Why get the Italian passport if not gonna use it to enter Italy? Entering Italy on US ppt would be termed as 'visitor' rather than being home...
The main reason she got her passport (and now I am applying for mine) is to be able to trully "set up shop" in Italy. We plan to open accounts, get a cell phone and eventually buy a house there. As citizens, we can stay as long as we want, use government services, etc. Also, for her, it was a personal thing, (reclaiming her heritage etc).

It has been a neat experience as we are now close to her relatives in Northern Italy and stay with them (and then with us) like family.

But this is also a very new experience, hence the questions about the technical aspects of traveling on two passports. You never think about the details until they hit you in the face......
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by lazard
Although the U.S. government does not endorse dual citizenship as a matter of policy, it recognizes the existence of dual citizenship and completely tolerates the maintenance of multiple citizenship by U.S. citizens.
This was a topic I explored pretty good. The US has softened it policy in the post cold war era. I guess it used to be that seeking citizenship was considered a potential expression of rejection of being an American.
Today, that is not the attitude. But it is still apparantly a "grey" area of the law. Dual citizenship is not expressly recognized, just tolerated. And we will need to be very careful to follow federal income tax rules.

Hence, I am seeking my citizenship now that I am married to an Italian.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Onobond, first, the USA no longer requires you to give up other citizenship. They haven't for decades. So you are totally out to lunch with that idea.

But more importantly, when you write, "In my narrow area of friends, the only persons having double citizenships use it for tax evasions or other reasons most other people would oppose anyway", what comes to my mind is that I don't want to have the friends that you do. Why would you have friends who use dual nationality for tax evasion? I suggest you get some better friends.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I got dual citizenship at birth - British father and American mother - and have never seen a pressing need to renounce either. And, as to the suggestion by a previous poster that this has to do with tax evasion, that shows total ignorance.

As to the question, the OP should enter and exit a country of citizenship on that relevant passport. I can't speak for Italy, but for many countries including the US and UK, it would be illegal otherwise.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
[T]he OP should enter and exit a country of citizenship on that relevant passport. I can't speak for Italy, but for many countries including the US and UK, it would be illegal otherwise.
Thanks lhrsfo. So the idea (or rule) is that if a US citizen enters the US using a different passport that is against some immigration rule, right? That makes sense.

Do you ever get asked about why your US pasport is missing stamps that it should have if you had used it to enter and exit other countries that you said you visited in response to the usual question one gets when returning to US?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Failing to see why anyone needs a second passport - beeing the citizen of one country - what gives me the right to vote in yet another country? In my narrow area of friends, the only persons having double citizenships use it for tax evasions or other reasons most other people would oppose anyway
Remember that there is a difference between evasion and avoidance.
You can also do that only having one citizenship.
It also depends where you live and how many of your friends are dual citizens to being with IMO.
(I personally know quite a few. As one myself, I will add it is actually MORE difficult to do taxes, and you get the worse rate of the two countries generally under a double taxation agreement. You also have to worry about things like how many days you spend in each nation in order to have access to certain benefits, such as health care, and about the different treatment of foreign income in each nation.)

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Mar 19, 2014 at 8:47 am
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
This was a topic I explored pretty good. The US has softened it policy in the post cold war era. I guess it used to be that seeking citizenship was considered a potential expression of rejection of being an American.
Today, that is not the attitude. But it is still apparantly a "grey" area of the law. Dual citizenship is not expressly recognized, just tolerated. And we will need to be very careful to follow federal income tax rules.

Hence, I am seeking my citizenship now that I am married to an Italian.
As one of the citizenships is American remember to file your 1040NR every year that you aren't tax resident.
(Both of mine are taxation by residence so I just play by the residence rules to legally avoid as much tax as I can.)
Keep in mind that your dream may not be realised as the unemployment rate in Italy is high (even more so than the USA which has reported job growth over the last few quarters.)
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Onobond, first, the USA no longer requires you to give up other citizenship. They haven't for decades. So you are totally out to lunch with that idea.

But more importantly, when you write, "In my narrow area of friends, the only persons having double citizenships use it for tax evasions or other reasons most other people would oppose anyway", what comes to my mind is that I don't want to have the friends that you do. Why would you have friends who use dual nationality for tax evasion? I suggest you get some better friends.
Tax evasion is not my concern-it is their own personal affairs.
I know I certainly don't brag when I pay mine...
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
The main reason she got her passport (and now I am applying for mine) is to be able to trully "set up shop" in Italy. We plan to open accounts, get a cell phone and eventually buy a house there. As citizens, we can stay as long as we want, use government services, etc. Also, for her, it was a personal thing, (reclaiming her heritage etc).

It has been a neat experience as we are now close to her relatives in Northern Italy and stay with them (and then with us) like family.

But this is also a very new experience, hence the questions about the technical aspects of traveling on two passports. You never think about the details until they hit you in the face......
Make sure you enjoy some authentic Italian cuisine now that you're in the Italy....must be a nice change of weather too
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I got dual citizenship at birth - British father and American mother - and have never seen a pressing need to renounce either. And, as to the suggestion by a previous poster that this has to do with tax evasion, that shows total ignorance.

As to the question, the OP should enter and exit a country of citizenship on that relevant passport. I can't speak for Italy, but for many countries including the US and UK, it would be illegal otherwise.
UK? Can you cite your source please?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Visas may be priced differently for different passport holders so if you will be traveling to a place with a visa always advisable to check out.
China charges U.S. citizens almost $200 for a single-entry visa, but less than half that for Koreans, EU citizens, etc.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
China charges U.S. citizens almost $200 for a single-entry visa, but less than half that for Koreans, EU citizens, etc.
Because the U.S. charges China a lot for a visa. China charges a flat fee of $130 for a visa (single entry, double entry, multiple entry for 6,12,24 months). U.S. charges Chinese citizens a minimum of $160 (for a tourist visa) to a maximum of $270 (Investor).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.