Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your recommendations for great vacation with wife and 2 young adult kids?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your recommendations for great vacation with wife and 2 young adult kids?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:22 am

A couple of things come to mind:
- Banff area: Fly to YYC, hang there, then maybe take train to YVR and return from there
- Do the Avios to Ireland thing.. spend a few days there then book cheap flight to Budapest or Vienna. Bike the Danube, see the sights and return from there
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ICELAND ICELAND ICELAND

Absolutely amazing country, plenty of active stuff, and only a 5 hour flight from NYC.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'd second Iceland - totally unforgettable for all the right reasons
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Doesn't Iceland Air allow stopovers on regular discounted-Y tickets? (I know they used to...it was kind of their "thing".) Since Iceland isn't a two-week destination, you might be able to pair it with a trip onward to one of those Eastern European destinations that interest you.

Only drawback is that I don't think there's an easy Avios path there. EI to DUB and then backtrack??? In any case, it'd still be a cool trip even if you bought the tix with cash.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by helosc
India will be very hot.
The Eastern Europe option can easily be combined with Austria or at least Vienna.
Hilton has two very nice hotels in Prague - I have only tried the one in old town, but both get good reviews here on FT. The old town Hilton is very centrally located.
In Bratislava, Slovakia there is a very nice and modern Doubletree, category 2.
Yeah but one day in Bratislava is plenty for most people.

Croatia is very hot in the summer but it shouldn't be too bad on the coast. My brother went last year and liked it so much he's going back this. He got rather sunburnt but that was his fault for drinking too much and going to sleep on the beach.

If you do want to come to Europe you could see 4 or even 5 places in a fortnight and have fun riding trains in between them - well I think it's fun anyway. There's an overnight train from Copenhagen to Prague which might be a nice way to link Scandinavia and central Europe.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Doesn't Iceland Air allow stopovers on regular discounted-Y tickets? (I know they used to...it was kind of their "thing".) Since Iceland isn't a two-week destination, you might be able to pair it with a trip onward to one of those Eastern European destinations that interest you.

Only drawback is that I don't think there's an easy Avios path there. EI to DUB and then backtrack??? In any case, it'd still be a cool trip even if you bought the tix with cash.
IcelandAir still does the stopover thing.

I disagree that Iceland isn't a two week trip. I spent 10 days there and there was still plenty more to see/do. Yes, a lot of it is very rural/nature oriented stuff (hiking trips, backcountry sightseeing, little villages), but it seems that's the kind of thing the OP is looking for. You could easily rent a car and spend two weeks driving around the island. We did it in 7 days and felt a little rushed.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I vote for Scandinavia. We did it many years ago on planes, trains and automobiles, as well as several ferries. We had a fantastic time... one of our best trips ever...

Our itin looked something along the lines of Stockholm 3nt - train to Oslo 2nt- car throughout fjord lands with several 1-2nt stops along the way - Bergen 2nt - ferry to Stavanger - train to Kristiansand 1nt - ferry to Skagen 4nts - car to Fredrikshavn - train to Copenhagen 2nts

Even with nearly three weeks, it didn't seem nearly enough
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
In addition to the suggestions below I would also consider a bike trip in France. There are a dozen companies that will provide bikes and luggage transfers with varying degrees of luxury and service depending on your budget. The weather should not be too hot, and easy to use Avios via LHR.

Originally Posted by pinniped
Avios...Boston...August...that absolutely screams Ireland. The Hiltons there are passable but you may want to consider burning some of those Amex on more interesting accommodations.
+1 If you want an active vacation you could consider biking or hiking around Ireland. Plenty of interesting places to visit. And not too far from BOS though with Avios you'd probably have to transfer @LHR.

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
I vote for Scandinavia. We did it many years ago on planes, trains and automobiles, as well as several ferries. We had a fantastic time... one of our best trips ever
+1 We were planning to do Scandinavia this year (sans children) but opted for Japan instead. There are plenty of things to do outdoors here and also easy to use Avios via LHR (though a bit late to be booking now).

Your temperature parameters rule out a # of options that would be fun for your children like Greece, Turkey, Eastern Europe, Hawaii, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Africa - all are likely to exceed 85F in August. You are pretty much going to be limited to Northern Europe or Canada, unless you head to the southern hemisphere where you risk running into winter weather.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by shawbridge
I thought about Alaska but the people I've talked to took cruises, which doesn't seem like our style.

Alaska is so much more than the small bit you see from cruiseships. Tons of active things to see and do, especially in August. None of which require you to be part of a 21 countries in 10 days tour group.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.