Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to take advantage of lower fare?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:32 am
Original Poster

How to take advantage of lower fare?

I think I'm out of luck, but thought I should at least ask the airlines (edit: i meant experts, not airlines).

4 or 5 days ago I bought two tickets on United DFW-SFO roundtrip for $404 all in (each). They are the standard non-refundable fares and were purchased on my new MileagePlus Explorer card. This morning I got a Kayak alert that US Airways has fares on the same day for $110 cheaper per ticket (codeshare on American).

United has a $200 per ticket change fee so that's out.

Could I buy travel insurance then make a claim? How difficult would that be?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by aw82; Feb 2, 2014 at 8:05 am Reason: Correcting pre-coffee brain fart.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by aw82
Would you buy auto insurance after accidentally damaging your car, and then claim the accident occurred after you bought the insurance? IMHO this is the same.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWGuy
Would you buy auto insurance after accidentally damaging your car, and then claim the accident occurred after you bought the insurance? IMHO this is the same.
The difference is auto insurance policies explicitly state that claims prior to coverage are inelligible. Travel insurance, on the other hand, is blatantly advertised as available for purchase after booking.

I'm not suggesting doing anything that isn't on the level. I'm just asking what the options may be.

Travelex has a policy that allows cancellations for any reason but I can't get a quote without providing lots of personal info.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I would just live with the fact you entered into a contract, and you're stuck with it. Why entertain unlawful ideas. We win some and we lose some, myself included. Always a bit of coulda or shoulda..

At the end of the day when purchasing a ticket, you need to ask yourself, can you afford not to buy this ticket now? Make a decision, and not look back.

I usually book on award tickets, and several times had to eat the change fee, because the new itinerary is simply better for the family and what we want. Always glad I paid the change fee.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Please explain how I am entertaining unlawful ideas.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:20 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
What the members are relating to you, is that if you buy insurance to cover something which arose before you bought the insurance, you would be making a claim when the terms of the insurance wouldn't allow it.

As well, almost all -- if not all -- travel insurance policies would exclude claims because the airline fare changed. So what would your insurance claim be based on?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:59 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
What's wrong with a simple "sorry, but no"?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What are you going to claim? That you changed your mind? I've yet to see a travel insurance policy which covers that in full.

The Travelex plan you're talking about would appear to only permit a 75% reimbursement of the trip costs so you'd get back $300 after paying the insurance premium (~$75 including the cancel for any reason bit) and the new fare you want is the same price. You don't actually save any money there.

Last edited by sbm12; Feb 2, 2014 at 2:51 pm
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:28 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

The companies who provide travel insurance aren't fools. If they allowed this, everyone would do it.

You will find that either the policy requires a good reason for cancellation (medical, family, etc.) or the deductible and other fees are so high that it won't be worth it.

No one gets the best airfare every time. Chalk it up to experience, cancel your Kayak alert, and move on.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:42 am

Sorry, but no. (Happy?)

Travel insurance may well be advertised as "available after booking" ....but I can't see you finding any policy that advertises that it pays you out fully because you changed your mind...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
The Travelex plan you're talking about would appear to only permit a 75% reimbursement of the trip costs so you'd get back $300 after paying the insurance premium (~$75 including the cancel for any reason bit) and the new fare you want is the same price. You don't actually save any money there.
Thanks, this is the sort of answer I was looking for.

I appreciate those of you who understood my question and didn't simply assume I was trying to scam someone.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Long ago, you could phone an airline when a fare dropped and, in the case of a nonrefundable ticket, they'd cut you a voucher for the difference. (This implies that United actually matched the AA DFW-SFO fare and that fare was now available on your exact itin. The mere presence of it on some AA flights wouldn't generate a UA voucher.)

However, I don't believe any of the U.S. legacies do this anymore. They'd all want to reticket the itin, meaning you'd need a fare drop greater than your change fee to yield any kind of residual voucher.

I don't even know it exists anymore as a top-tier perk (free refares...).
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
However, I don't believe any of the U.S. legacies do this anymore. They'd all want to reticket the itin, meaning you'd need a fare drop greater than your change fee to yield any kind of residual voucher.

I don't even know it exists anymore as a top-tier perk (free refares...).
WN will re-fare and give you a credit. So will B6.

AS will let MVP Golds change flights without fee so I believe the net effect is the same.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Carriers still allow you a refund when the price drops. It's called a fully refundable ticket. OP gambled that the price wouldn't drop by buying a non-refundable ticket for less.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Please explain how I am entertaining unlawful ideas.
Originally Posted by djs
What's wrong with a simple "sorry, but no"?
I apologize as I didn't mean to come across crass, or to say that you were in the wrong, to start off the bat or anywhere in the process.

I concur with the explanations above as I failed to delve more deeply on my post.

We all have buyer's remorse when we see a lower ticket price. These are normal feelings, and our self defence arises to try and recover the difference in funds. The airline industry is there to maximize revenues, and ultimately in the long term to make profit. The change fee is the barrier to you achieving the price difference. It will cost you the change fee to achieve the lower price if on a restricted ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.