Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Crew Carry on luggage taking up overhead bin space.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crew Carry on luggage taking up overhead bin space.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage plus
Thumbs down Crew Carry on luggage taking up overhead bin space.

What are some of the airline policy's that pertain to this? For crew. It ticks me off, that I sometimes pay full fares plus I hold gold or platinum status and especially on regional jets where space is tight, the crew stash their carry on bags in some cases more then our legal limit of 2 in passenger bin. Is there a special FAA law? Why do they always take our bin space?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:29 am
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I imagine it's because there is no place else to put it and they need to transport their belongings.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:34 am

The US seems to be rather unique in this respect. In most parts of the world, crew are subject to the same restrictions as passengers with regards to bag sizes, weight and contents. One bag weighing no more than 7-12kg and containing no liquids is pretty much the standard. All else goes into the cargo hold. Can't say I've ever seen that cause many problems.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Yes there is FAA rule about certain mandatory items in standard on duty crew's luggage which includes SOP manuals plus others. These have to be easily accessible by the crew.

In the smaller jets where there is no room in the galley for these then it goes into the ost forward overhead bins right after the emergency equipment and the O2 setup.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
Crew Cary on luggage taking up overhead bin space.

Had the same issue on Chinese domestic flights. Got quite peed off when, acquiring Row 1 of Y class, the crew had already taken up all the overhead space meaning I had to put my bag a few rows back. Anyone flown domestic in china would know the mad rush just before the plane stops at the gate - meaning I needed to fight a wall of people just to get my bags.....
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Flightsalwaysfull
Why do they always take our bin space?
I know a few crew (pilots and FAs), and they don't share your view that the space is yours. They view the plane as their workspace. They're in charge of it. They're responsible for it. They're probably with it for multiple segments, while you're just visiting for 1 segment.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage plus
Overhead bin space

All good points, I guess what frustrates me the most that despite me being global service and/or 1K for the last 7 years, sometimes you can't board in group 1, but when I eventually do get on the plane, there is no bin space in the seating section I am in, most of the time crew bags are there, I then ask if I can put my luggage up front, in one of the storage areas and I get attitude, most of the time I have to pull out my card to prove to these FA that I pay their wage, stop the attitude and please help me. Most of the time after they huff and puff they do help me. Eventually it gets sorted out, but they do make life much harder than they should because of their attitude.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I know a few crew (pilots and FAs), and they don't share your view that the space is yours. They view the plane as their workspace. They're in charge of it. They're responsible for it. They're probably with it for multiple segments, while you're just visiting for 1 segment.
Not arguing with you, but isn't that something like a cab driver loading up the back seat of the cab with his own stuff and then expecting the paying customer to squeeze in around it?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Regretably you are correct in that. A lot of FAs seem to just consider passengers to be a nuisance that is on their plane instead of remembering that the passengers are the reason they are employed.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:14 am
Suspended

take that .... down and put it on the floor.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Not arguing with you, but isn't that something like a cab driver loading up the back seat of the cab with his own stuff and then expecting the paying customer to squeeze in around it?
Analogies never work. It's nothing like a cab driver loading up his fare's space.

Bottom line here is that people who think that the OH space above their seat is assigned to them are simply wrong. Bigger issue is that crew schedules are premised on their having carry-on only and thus, carrier policies (which translate into FAA enforcement) don't apply. A crew assigned to fly AAA-BBB on Aircraft #1 and then BBB-CCC on Aircraft #2, are expected to physically transfer at BBB between the two aircraft. Until the inbound crew are onboard the outbound aircraft, the outbound can't board and certainly can't move.

Second, some of the items schlepped by crew are required of them. While this may be old-fashioned, it is what it is.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Often1
Analogies never work. It's nothing like a cab driver loading up his fare's space.

Bottom line here is that people who think that the OH space above their seat is assigned to them are simply wrong. Bigger issue is that crew schedules are premised on their having carry-on only and thus, carrier policies (which translate into FAA enforcement) don't apply. A crew assigned to fly AAA-BBB on Aircraft #1 and then BBB-CCC on Aircraft #2, are expected to physically transfer at BBB between the two aircraft. Until the inbound crew are onboard the outbound aircraft, the outbound can't board and certainly can't move.

Second, some of the items schlepped by crew are required of them. While this may be old-fashioned, it is what it is.
We'll have to disagree about the validity of analogies both generally and in this case. I thought the point OP was making was not that OHB space was assigned to anyone in particular, but rather that crew were sometimes carrying-on more than passengers were allowed. Seemed to me this was analogous to the operator of a vehicle-for-hire taking up space that is customarily understood to be available to the paying customer. I take your point about carrier policies vs. FAA requirements, though.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:57 am
Used to be 'roachjl'

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
We'll have to disagree about the validity of analogies both generally and in this case. I thought the point OP was making was not that OHB space was assigned to anyone in particular, but rather that crew were sometimes carrying-on more than passengers were allowed. Seemed to me this was analogous to the operator of a vehicle-for-hire taking up space that is customarily understood to be available to the paying customer. I take your point about carrier policies vs. FAA requirements, though.
If the cabbie loaded it up with stuff that the taxicab commission required him to carry, then the analogy would be apt.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:59 am
Used to be 'roachjl'

Originally Posted by Flightsalwaysfull
All good points, I guess what frustrates me the most that despite me being global service and/or 1K for the last 7 years, sometimes you can't board in group 1, but when I eventually do get on the plane, there is no bin space in the seating section I am in, most of the time crew bags are there, I then ask if I can put my luggage up front, in one of the storage areas and I get attitude, most of the time I have to pull out my card to prove to these FA that I pay their wage, stop the attitude and please help me. Most of the time after they huff and puff they do help me. Eventually it gets sorted out, but they do make life much harder than they should because of their attitude.
I'm a relative newbie here, but isn't this the very definition of DYKWIA behavior?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
It is shared space. I have seen crew abuse it, I have seen passengers abuse it.... Both should be reported.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.