Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Crew Carry on luggage taking up overhead bin space.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crew Carry on luggage taking up overhead bin space.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
It REALLY ticks me off when I go to a department store and I see those smug sales associates wearing clothes that they bought their with their 40% employee discount, who are they to use a perk or benefit of their job when they probably bought that last size medium sweater I wanted!! It's also so infuriating when I'm eating at a restaurant I just knoooooow that a table there is eating dinner on their night off and they are getting the meal for free and it's causing my food to come out slower and taking the working waiter's undivided attention way from me!
Doesn't bother me in the least bit that employees get some perks. Every job comes with parameters and most comes with some incentive to work. This is part of their compensation.

FAs and pilots need to feel comfortable and their belongings secured in order to accommodate passengers for a safe departure and arrival. I couldn't imagine watching an airline employee in distress or some stress while working.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Crew using overhead space doesn't bother me. It's the passengers who shove their stuff in the front overhead storage, then make their way to the back of the bus that peeve me. Then I have to up my stuff at the back, and then set back down to my assigned set way ahead of my bag....

Usually, this happens on budget airlines in South East Asia, and over time I have managed to learn to hide my bag near under my feet.

Having said that, the size of bags people are carrying on these days is getting ridiculous. Some seem larger than my check in...

Z...
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
[Conforming moderator edit.]

I never get into an argument on a plane. So here's my answer to you cynicAAl. I'm moving your stuff to make room for mine. Call a flight attendant if you have a problem with that. Not my problem.
You wouldn't have this problem with me as I carry on minimal luggage, [unduly personalized comment edited by Moderator.]

cynicAAl is correct in saying you don't have rights to any particular overhead space.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 23, 2013 at 8:13 am Reason: Per FT Rules.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I find usually the lack of overhead space is due to poor packing of the overhead. Most of the time, a bit of rearranging gets me space to store.

I do get annoyed when some passenger takes up the overhead above my seat and then scoots to the back of the plane (where there is empty space overhead).
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
@ dulciusexasperis:

Wait, so two people have bags lengthwise in an overhead that fit, and then when you want to put yours in you put theirs widthwise so neither fits but yours does? That's illogical -- believe I'd overrule the FA and say "those two stay, the guy with the laptop bag can put it under the seat in front of him where the smaller bags are supposed to go or he can gate check it. Let him complain to the Captain if he doesn't like it" -- oddly, I've never lost an argument on the plane. There are certainly ways to address the issue, smugness and entitlement are not two of them...
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I have no problem with FA bags taking up overhead bin space, as long as they are the WORKING FAs on that flight.

What ticks me off is when off-duty FAs who are deadheading home or to base get to board early with their FA buddies and take up all the bin space (not to mention occupy premium cabin seats that were then denied to elites for upgrades) with too much luggage.

Once, I was on JFK-SFO (a very elite-heavy route) and the flight had FOUR off-duty FAs in First Class who had boarded early and filled up the overhead bins. When I boarded into my seat, the off-duty FAs had the audacity to ask me to switch seats so that they could sit with their buddies. They almost made it sound as if it was an "official" request (i.e. FAA says I must follow crewmember instructions while on board), but when I got them to admit that they were not working the flight, just commuting home, I held my ground, and eventually they relented. I actually ended up having a great conversation with the off-duty FA sitting next to me as we descended into SFO.
On at least some USA legacy carriers, non revs aren't allowed to ask passengers to switch seats with them. They are to take the seat assigned to them by the GA without complaint. If they insist, they should be reported.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On at least some USA legacy carriers, non revs aren't allowed to ask passengers to switch seats with them. They are to take the seat assigned to them by the GA without complaint. If they insist, they should be reported.

I don't know about the non-rev policies of this carrier in particular. But the off-duty FA's underlying intention was pretty clear: to make me think that she was asking me "officially" in her capacity as a crewmember. If she gave me these instructions under those circumstances, I would have to follow her instructions or risk an FAA violation.

Most pax just see a crewmember in uniform and would never guess whether that person is on duty or off duty. Ultimately, I was able to keep my seat because I was able to find out that the FA was asking me to switch seats under false pretenses--she had NO authority to ask me officially because she was not working the flight. Rather, she was just a passenger like me, and so I responded the same way I respond when any other passenger asks: "thanks for asking, but sorry, I pick my seats many months in advance for specific reasons and would not like to switch with you."
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Doesn't bother me in the least bit that employees get some perks. Every job comes with parameters and most comes with some incentive to work. This is part of their compensation.

FAs and pilots need to feel comfortable and their belongings secured in order to accommodate passengers for a safe departure and arrival. I couldn't imagine watching an airline employee in distress or some stress while working.
Please note my EXTREME sarcasm in my post
Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: DL GM
I never get into an argument on a plane. So here's my answer to you cynicAAl. I'm moving your stuff to make room for mine. Call a flight attendant if you have a problem with that. Not my problem.
Nice to learn you're so averse to confrontation. (/sarcasm).

If you run into me on a plane you should probably call for the FA ahead of time. If you move my items as you described you'll get a different response than you've apparently gotten so far. I'll likely dump your items on the floor or your lap as I'm putting mine back where I originally stowed them. Then we can wait together for the FA to sort things out.

The airlines and crew are clear that overhead bins are shared space and that not everything will fit. Delta, for one, communicates this verbally several times during pre-boarding announcements. You have no "right" to overhead bin space, despite your personal feeling of "logical" entitlement.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
A bit off topic, but I was on CX last week, one leg was last row in premium economy. The bin over the aisle was closed, and I couldn't get it open. Bins across were taken by economy crew. I asked if there was a problem with the bin over "my" aisle, and she laughed and said it was a fake bin. Just a good example of how bin space does not correlate to seating. No complaints.

Anyways my opinion is you take space that is available. If you need to move someone else's stuff around, unless FA is with you (and s/he moves it) just be nice and see if the owner is around before touching... you don't know if there's fragile stuff in there. Just be a good citizen.

To those whining about putting your bag "further back", should have alerted FA before landing to get the bag before people get up. Works for me every time (no exaggeration). They want to get you off the plane just as fast as you want to.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
T

Additionally, there are a lot of PAYING passengers who are airline and fractional employees traveling with "crew bags" and often in uniform. We look like non-revs but we are paying passengers, just like any other passenger, and have the same rights as any other passenger to use the overhead bin space or to be upgraded based on our status.

My airline is home based meaning that my airline buys me a regular revenue ticket to/from my home for each of my trips. That's why I'm Platinum on UAL and was formally Platinum on DAL before that. My airline spent just over $1100 for my tickets for the week-long domestic trip that I'm currently flying. I may look like an over-entitled non-rev to the passengers around me but I'm actually a paying customer with status and high enough fares that I'm getting upgraded on each of the legs of the trip. Don't assume that everyone wearing a uniform, or pulling a "crew bag", is a non-rev.
I have no issues with crew carrying on their stuff, they have their needs as do the rest of us, and I can appreciate the additional demands for documentation, manuals, etc. etc.

However I am confused by your post. If an airline pays for tickets for an employee, this is on the cost side of the ledger not the revenue side. You are still a non-revenue passenger as measured by what's on the airline's ledger.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:23 am

I sometimes have a problem finding a place for my lunchbox, which is my 3rd issued bag as a diabetic. My airline doesn't feed me, and I'm ok with that! But I must bring my own food, and it can't be checked

Last edited by skylady; Dec 23, 2013 at 6:19 pm
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Please note my EXTREME sarcasm in my post
And mine too.

It actually does bother me a bit that employees get perks as they do. For example, I just shelled out close to $1,000 for my wife and two kids to go to Disney. One of my friends calls up a friend of a friend, and says that they are their relatives, and they are into Disney no charge.

Ah well, I guess I can do the same, but at the end of the day if I can't afford to have my family go to Disney World, then I shouldn't.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
your belief that you are entitled to some allocated space in the overhead above your seat is incorrect. All overhead space is shared space throughout the plane.
I disagree with your belief cynicAAl. I will move your bag, if you have a problem with that, call the flight attendant. Not my problem.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:25 am

I disagree with your belief cynicAAl. I will move your bag, if you have a problem with that, call the flight attendant. Not my problem.
This thread has been there already. It would appear that not many agree with your views.

That should tell you something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.