Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

A 3-week business trip without checking luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
On this kind of trip, where you're in a different city every day much of the time, definitely do not check luggage. Waiting for it at the airports will consume a lot of your time, and if your bag gets lost it will probably never catch up to you.

I like the idea of shipping clean clothes to yourself. Plan shipments for each week-- if you have enough appropriate clothes to do so-- and you'll reduce the number of times you need to do laundry or dry cleaning to about 1/week.

For those times when you DO need to do laundry or dry cleaning, does your publisher have anyone who can support you? An assistant of some sort who can run things down to the cleaner and pick them up for you?

I don't know how religious you are about doing workouts but you might considering dropping your workout shoes, workout pants, workout jackets, etc. to save space. With such a busy travel schedule are you really going to have time to hit the gym that often? When I'm in a new city every day it takes effort just to carve out 15 minutes for stretches in my hotel room. And I don't need to dress up for that....
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum

Think "Garanimals." Everything modular and matchable. One pair of shoes! They take up so much space, even if you stuff them with socks.

Your dry cleaner can return your shirts to you folded and when you get to your hotel, hang tomorrow's shirt in a steamy bathroom. Will relax the wrinkles. Also, I HIGHLY recommend Brooks Brothers' wrinkle-resistant shirts. They are fantastic.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll share one more secret to beat the luggage gorillas on a long trip:

Buy, wear, pitch cheap underwear, t-shirts, socks.

If you document correctly, Uncle Sam will subsidize the expense via your 1040 schedule A.

Hey OP: when and where will you be visiting Chicagoland? Mini-DO?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by switters
Thanks everyone, this is really helpful (especially the travel ninja thread).

I do have a great Briggs & Riley 15.4" expandable briefcase. I pub my laptop in there along with toiletries, cables, chargers, etc.

Question: what do you all recommend for packing dress shirts? I've never been able to keep them from wrinkling in the folding compartment. The last few trips I've asked my local cleaners to fold and box them, and I just put the box directly into the carry-on. But that's for overnight or two night trips, and it's not space efficient so it won't work for this.
For wrinkles in shirts-put on hangers and hang on shower rail or or hook in bathrooom/washroom--put shower on full hot to generate as much steam as you can. 10 minutes of steam will take out wrinkles.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by switters
Thanks! Thing is, since this will include some local and maybe national TV appearances, I have to look my bestwhich isn't always the lowest maintenance stuff.
I would suggest taking a classic navy or black blazer with white and light blue dress shirts and several ties...the ties will provide the appearance of variety of outfits. Avoid cotton shirts...go for wrinkle-resistant clothing. Instead of taking a winter jacket, take an overcoat instead...overcoat may may be used as substitute for blazer in a pinch.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 2:53 pm

I can't even remember the last hotel I stayed in that had a coin operated laundry. And while my company will pay for me to check a bag, it will not pay dry cleaning. Which can run to 14-19 Euro for one shirt and double that for overnight. So if you do intend to one bag it, make sure that you know what the hotel fees are for laundering / dry cleaning and be prepared to pay for it or be sure that your company or business expenses will cover it.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: QF CL
The FedEx idea is interesting but presumably means you'd also have to FedEx other (dirty?) clothes back home as well while en route - otherwise you would quickly exceed your available packing capacity! Query whether all those courier charges would exceed the cost of carefully planned hotel laundry charges. Personally I'd avoid the hassle of couriers and look at the other suggestions, which should eliminate the need to be shipping clothes round.

Best of luck for the tour!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.