Wiki Posts
Search

TATL: US Narrow Body or EUR Wide Body?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage
TATL: US Narrow Body or EUR Wide Body?

The following article states the reasons why US domestic airlines fly narrow body jets compared to their European brethren on TATL flights...
Why Europeans Put Bigger Planes on Trans-Atlantic Flights

Is the hard product in the premium cabins on narrow body flights just as good as the ones on wide body flights? Is the service and comfort in economy better on the wide body flights?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sant
The following article states the reasons why US domestic airlines fly narrow body jets compared to their European brethren on TATL flights...
Why Europeans Put Bigger Planes on Trans-Atlantic Flights

Is the hard product in the premium cabins on narrow body flights just as good as the ones on wide body flights? Is the service and comfort in economy better on the wide body flights?
You'll find people who will argue both sides of this. But, for me, in the premium cabin it makes absolutely no difference. You get pretty much the same seat, same soft product, same service levels, and you don't notice that the AC is smaller. I hear that in the economy section it can be brutal.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
The software does best when managing an airplane without that many seats. “Too much capacity (larger gauge with more seats) puts those tools outside their sweet spot and unable to deliver improvements in unit revenue,” Mann wrote in an e-mail. “This is why half of U.S. domestic frequencies are on regional partners’ smaller jets.”
I find it hard to believe this is a deciding factor in aircraft choice. If there is enough demand, surely the NA airlines would put on bigger aircraft, software management programs be damned. Quantity over quality in this case.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
The European fleets simply don't include many 757s. If they did, I imagine at least a few carriers would use the aircraft to serve small TATL markets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.