Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa Business or BA Premium Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2013, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Going from YYZ to JNB, it looks like Business with Lufthansa (incl FRA-JNB on A380) costs the same as Premium Economy with BA (787 YYZ-LHR and 747 LHR-JNB). Which to choose?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Starwood Preferred Guest + lots of other hotel programs
I've done both in the last few months. Definitely Lufthansa Business!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
Unless you really want/need the BA miles + TPs, it is a no-brainer- LH all the way!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by kevinm016
Going from YYZ to JNB, it looks like Business with Lufthansa (incl FRA-JNB on A380) costs the same as Premium Economy with BA (787 YYZ-LHR and 747 LHR-JNB). Which to choose?
Unless LH recently downgraded J cabin, I doubt BA PE would offer similar hard and soft products.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
No comparison: take Lufti's business class.

BA isn't a market leader in PE like TK, QF, NZ, or VS. In fact, the service continually reminds you that this is still an economy experience: no dedicated PE check-in or boarding, and a mediocre seat.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by malioil
Unless you really want/need the BA miles + TPs, it is a no-brainer- LH all the way!
Agreed. Really not a question with this one.

These questions come up occasionally, and the answer is almost always the same:

With very few exceptions, on competing routes, first is always better than business, business is always better than premium economy, etc.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QF, VA
Pretty easy, take LH.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: skyteam

Why would you think. Even any time on European or American airline at same fare one would go business and more over it is long flight
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:29 am

Programs: OW Gold, *A Gold, ST Gold
LH has the worst long haul business class seat in Europe (although they are introducing a new one, better and fully flat). Still it will be better than a PE @BA!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Wouldn't a bad business class be better than any premium economy on a long haul flight?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Depends if you have enough Avios points and there is availability to upgrade at booking from PE to CW on BA. If so then it's a no brainer to go BA. Is LH the only option in that price range for business class? I'd take almost any biz seat over the LH one. If you take the LH biz option at the very least do the TATL flights on the AC codeshares.

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Nov 10, 2013 at 8:37 am
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:46 am

Smile

As you say the cost is the same - this is an absolute absolute no brainer really. LH Business is the way to go. I would not even think about British PE.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Depends if you have enough Avios points and there is availability to upgrade at booking from PE to CW on BA. If so then it's a no brainer to go BA. Is LH the only option in that price range for business class? I'd take almost any biz seat over the LH one.
Agree. LH business is pretty terrible relative to CW on BA. But yes, LH J is still better than BA Y+ by a lot so if you can't upgrade to CW, take LH J.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
While Lufthansa's business class is nothing special, it still blows away BA's Premium Economy. Easy choice: LH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.