FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Got speeding ticket in Vancouver BC, I am from NYS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1503714-got-speeding-ticket-vancouver-bc-i-am-nys.html)

WR Cage Sep 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by geotravel (Post 21456920)
Officer wrote 110km in 60km zone. (50km over!) $196 ticket. I am sure I was not going that fast b/c I was on the Sea to Sky highway going to Whistler mountain and going at 110km there would be a suicide.

110km in 60km zone together with $196 fine means the cop was being real nice to you all ready. The fine of $196 is the maximum fine BC can levy for non-excessive speeding under the Motor Vehicle Act Sections 146(1) to 146(7). The motor vechicle act (section 148(1)) determines excessive speeding at over 40kph above the post speed limit. Excessive speeding carries minimum fine of $338, mandatory court appearance, and immediate impound the vehicle until the court appearance.

If the ticket goes to court, the Crown could apply to have the ticket adjusted from section 146 to section 148 which would not be in your favour.

Based on the above I would pay the ticket and count your blessings.

Originally Posted by j_the_p (Post 21458623)
You're lucky to get away with such a small fine. 50km over in Ontario would have meant your vehicle would be automatically impounded and a $10,000 fine.

Same should have happened to the OP. However as stated above the cop has effectively reduced the ticket to an acceptable compromise without a lot of hassle to the tourist.

WR Cage Sep 17, 2013 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Tshoobaka (Post 21458184)
Just pay if you want to go back and I actually find it strange that you haven't already had additional fees from Avis for getting a ticket with their rental

Avis would only get involved if the ticket was addressed to them, example photo radar ticket or parking ticket. However in this instance it appears the OP got pulled over and spoke to a member of the RCMP.

Minos Sep 17, 2013 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by geotravel (Post 21456920)
I got a speeding ticket two weeks ago in Vancouver, BC driving a rental car from Avis which I rented at Seattle airport. Officer wrote 110km in 60km zone. (50km over!) $196 ticket. I am sure I was not going that fast b/c I was on the Sea to Sky highway going to Whistler mountain and going at 110km there would be a suicide. I have since returned to NY. Points do not transfer to NYS License. Should I pay this ticket? I travel to Canada (usually drive) twice a year. I have a feeling that if I don't pay this ticket then I might have problem entering Canada?

FYI km is not a measure of speed...

MissJ Sep 17, 2013 2:59 pm

I've driven this road and the speed limits in many of the parts are far too low.

But, I still did the speed limit because I didn't want a ticket. Personally, I would pay it because it's not at all worth the possible consequences. I can easily see how a ticket for 20 or more kph wouldn't be hard to end up with on this road. We Americans are used to traveling at 60 or 70mph on highways and a lot of the Sea to Sky is big and wide and would be easy to get a little ahead of yourself. I thought it was one of the prettiest roads I've ever been on but also very annoying because the speeds are so low. Just put the cruise on and go.

cestmoi123 Sep 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by RussianTexan (Post 21458857)
Pathetic revenue generators. Disgusting.

Seriously? I certainly get the irritation with ticketing someone for going 65MPH on a flat interstate with a 55MPH limit, but he was ticketed for going 68MPH in a 37MPH zone. Usually, an area with that low a limit has at least something of a reason for it, reason not to go nearly 2x the limit.

ne52 Sep 17, 2013 3:10 pm

I believe it was after (and due to) NAFTA but there is information sharing of violations between the states and provinces.

You will have issues with NYS DMV and probably your insurance if the BC violation is not taken care of.

guv1976 Sep 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ne52
I believe it was after (and due to) NAFTA but there is information sharing of violations between the states and provinces.

You will have issues with NYS DMV and probably your insurance if the BC violation is not taken care of.

From the NYS DMV website:

"Insurance companies have point systems that are different from the DMV driver violation point system. The two point systems are not related. Contact your insurance company about their point system.

Except for Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS driver record if you commit an out-of-state traffic violation. Points can appear on your NYS driver record if you commit a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec."

tomvonc Sep 17, 2013 3:29 pm

Sea to Sky? Is that 101 going up the coast? Of the 'ton' of tickets I got, 4 were on that road over 2 days.

Often1 Sep 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 21461651)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Insurance companies have point systems that are different from the DMV driver violation point system. The two point systems are not related. Contact your insurance company about their point system.

Except for Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS driver record if you commit an out-of-state traffic violation. Points can appear on your NYS driver record if you commit a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec."

The points are not the issue. It's that a default (failure to appear) by taking no action, will result in OP's NYS operator's license being suspended. Driving while his license is suspended is a significant and arrestable offense.

The legal & financial consequences of doing nothing are worse than either of the alternatives: 1) paying up; 2) contesting.

GRALISTAIR Sep 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 21457516)

Add me to the "Just pay" chorus.

moi aussi ^

guv1976 Sep 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 21461651)

The points are not the issue. It's that a default (failure to appear) by taking no action, will result in OP's NYS operator's license being suspended. Driving while his license is suspended is a significant and arrestable offense.

The legal & financial consequences of doing nothing are worse than either of the alternatives: 1) paying up; 2) contesting.

I never suggested that the OP do nothing. The OP should either pay the ticket or fight it. But if the OP is concerned that a B.C. speeding conviction will result in points on his N.Y.S. license, that appears not to be the case.

gglave Sep 17, 2013 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by MissJ (Post 21461498)
I've driven this road and the speed limits in many of the parts are far too low.

Agreed, but if you 'go with the flow' (approx 10 kph over the limit) you're not going to see a ticket.

Originally Posted by MissJ (Post 21461498)
Just put the cruise on and go.

Unless it's 3AM, cruise control is not an option on the Sea to Sky. Far too much other traffic.

Originally Posted by tomvonc (Post 21461671)
Sea to Sky? Is that 101 going up the coast?

No - The "Sea to Sky" is Highway 99 to Whistler. 101 goes up the Sunshine Coast from Langdale to Lund.

guv1976 Sep 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Re-reading the first post, I see that the OP is aware that the points do not transfer from B.C. to N.Y.S. Whether the OP's insurance company will learn of a B.C. speeding conviction is another matter.

ne52 Sep 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Got speeding ticket in Vancouver BC, I am from NYS

Understood that the points do not apply. However, I'm assuming he intends to renew his NYS license at some point. That's when the BC violation will bite him.

If it proceeds to court it also keeps him from using the online DMV for a period even after its cleared up. Any way to avoid going to the DMV in person is also reason enough to pay this.

It's not fun to pay but the US does it for Canada and Canada does it for the US. They're not letting anyone take away potential revenue.

siaa380 Sep 17, 2013 4:51 pm

I'm pretty sure this is right but someone can correct me if I'm not. You aren't legally required to pay the ticket if you are not reentering Canada as the RCMP has no precidence in BC; however if you fail to appear in court after not paying the ticket the judge can issue a warrent for your arrest but that warrent is only for BC. It will show up when you are entering the country but it will be up to CBS to decide whether to grant you access to Canada unless you are entering BC where they will have to execute the warrent. They are able to contact a judge in BC and ask whether they would like to extend the warrent Canada wide (which normally doesn't happen) .

For fighting it, you are allowed to appear at a majistrate and heard the full extent and reasoning behind the charges. If you tell them you are appearing in court they will often try and settle with you to avoid straining the legal system. Also if you or someone on your behalf attends court and the police officer does not appear the ticket is immediately thrown out.

Typically I don't recommend having a lawyer represent you in a case with a low dollar value loke this one as you will probably end up paying the same amount just in legal fees. But if you have contacts in BC anyone of them can go to court on your behalf provided that you give them notice of your consent to show the judge