FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Got speeding ticket in Vancouver BC, I am from NYS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1503714-got-speeding-ticket-vancouver-bc-i-am-nys.html)

durberville Sep 17, 2013 10:33 am

Be a man and pay up. You broke the law, and this is the consequence.

Tshoobaka Sep 17, 2013 10:42 am

Originally Posted by fairviewroad (Post 21459830)
If the cop was lying (and we have no proof either way) that's one thing. But 50 km/h over the limit is nothing to sniff at. The OP could have killed him/herself and others.

Radar gunssss
And even if the cop says 50 and OP says "THATS NOT RIGHT I WAS ONLY 40 OVER" well OP just shot himself in the foot and will have to pay as he just admitted being guilty.

Often1 Sep 17, 2013 10:55 am

Unlike other international issues, Canadian provinces and US states share their motor vehicle information due to the land border. If you fail to appear, either by paying or protesting the Canadian violation, your NYS license will eventually be suspended. That has all of the bad consequences associated with failing to appear in some other US state and dollars to donuts, the fines increase for non-payment.

How and whether the underlying violation affects your future admiissibility to Canada is not the first thing for you to worry about.

Your options:

1. Pay the ticket
2. Contest the ticket. Whether you can do this by mail, it requires an appearance in person (in which case a local lawyer is a better idea) or whatever, will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Ignoring the ticket is dumb.

BMGfan Sep 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by RussianTexan (Post 21458857)
Pathetic revenue generators. Disgusting.

50km/h (which the op has been charged with) is not a "revenue generator. That's a safety issue. Speed differentials on the road cause safety issues, not the speed itself.

Whether the op did it or not is between him and the courts.

TheOnlyWayTo Fly Sep 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by minhaoxue (Post 21459512)
You were cited for exceedingthe speed limit. Whether you believe it or not, the Officer does. You can protest the ticket or pay it. I would not just ignore it and hope it will go away, because it will not.

What would happen if you don't pay a tcket in the US? Can't register your vehicle or fees will keep on doubling. Same thing in Canada.

Pay the da*n ticket. The Sea to Sky is a dangerous drive and subsequently is heavily policed by the RCMP to save speeding drivers from killing themselves and others (which unfortunately they still do...). You were driving at "excessive" speeds at 50km over the limit a charge which actually generates much higher fines and discetionary vehicle confiscation. Frankly, I think this cop saw u were a visitor to Canada and gave you a break with a lesser ticket. Hiring a Canadian lawyer to fight this for you (IF indeed you can find one to deal with this case) will cost you WAY more than the ticket. So pay the ticket and your subsequent visits to Canada won't have the stress of knowing this issue remains unresolved.

tomvonc Sep 17, 2013 1:17 pm

First time I was in Vancouver I got a ton of speeding tickets. I'm European and people rarely adhere to speed limits here. Ignored them, hey, I was young, and broke. Went back a few years later to work, and no record whatsoever.

kipper Sep 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 21457424)
Just pay the ticket and be done.

Or do you prefer to have this in the back of your mind, especially when you travel to Canada, forever?

This! Pay the ticket.

shootingrubber Sep 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Don't pay the ticket. Hire a paralegal and fight it. The points will surely transfer, and a ticket of that magnitude is pure metaphorical suicide.

worldtraveller73 Sep 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Pay the ticket.

Avis is likely to assess a penalty to your credit card AND an generous administrative fee if the government comes after them to collect based on the renter's non payment.

It's usually in the terms and conditions of your rental that the renter is responsible for any traffic violations or toll charges.

Governments usually exchange information if they are next to each other so I would not be surprised if the conviction information is provided to AVIS or their insurance company representative.

Paying in advance will avoid any further complications on the part of AVIS or overpriced administrative fees being applied to your account.

gglave Sep 17, 2013 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by geotravel (Post 21456920)
I am sure I was not going that fast b/c I was on the Sea to Sky highway going to Whistler mountain and going at 110km there would be a suicide.

When I drive the Sea-to-Sky I am regularly passed by people doing 120+ kph, so it's entirely possible you were doing 110, particularly post-2010 after the hundreds of millions spent upgrading the highway to straighten it out.

cl.lurker Sep 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Canadian law enforcement can be a real PITA. Pay up and move on....

keitherson Sep 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by RussianTexan (Post 21458857)
Pathetic revenue generators. Disgusting.

Yeah because Canada is totally reliant on speeding tickets for government revenue :rolleyes:

Jaimito Cartero Sep 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Lots of good advice here. If you're a real gambler, don't pay it. Let us know how it works out, seriously.

At least you got a real cop stopping you, and not some photo radar nonsense.

pittpanther Sep 17, 2013 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73 (Post 21461043)
Pay the ticket.

Avis is likely to assess a penalty to your credit card AND an generous administrative fee if the government comes after them to collect based on the renter's non payment.

Moving Violations go with the driver, not the owner of the car. If you lend your car to a friend and they get a speeding ticket, you are not responsible for paying if your friend doesn't. Works the same with car rentals. Avis wont even know you got a speeding ticket.

Parking Tickets go to the car owner, which is why Avis (or whoever) will jack you up with fees for getting a parking ticket on a rental.

Often1 Sep 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by pittpanther (Post 21461267)
Moving Violations go with the driver, not the owner of the car. If you lend your car to a friend and they get a speeding ticket, you are not responsible for paying if your friend doesn't. Works the same with car rentals. Avis wont even know you got a speeding ticket.

Parking Tickets go to the car owner, which is why Avis (or whoever) will jack you up with fees for getting a parking ticket on a rental.

That is completely untrue. And, it's untrue because the law varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In many states, it's both. The driver is responsible, but so is the registered owner if the driver doesn't pay.

But, this is Canada and unless you're certain of local provincial law, I would be careful about this advice.