FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Got speeding ticket in Vancouver BC, I am from NYS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1503714-got-speeding-ticket-vancouver-bc-i-am-nys.html)

geotravel Sep 16, 2013 9:21 pm

Got speeding ticket in Vancouver BC, I am from NYS

I got a speeding ticket two weeks ago in Vancouver, BC driving a rental car from Avis which I rented at Seattle airport. Officer wrote 110km in 60km zone. (50km over!) $196 ticket. I am sure I was not going that fast b/c I was on the Sea to Sky highway going to Whistler mountain and going at 110km there would be a suicide. I have since returned to NY. Points do not transfer to NYS License. Should I pay this ticket? I travel to Canada (usually drive) twice a year. I have a feeling that if I don't pay this ticket then I might have problem entering Canada?

allbrosca Sep 16, 2013 9:30 pm

I think you may have a problem in the future. Are you sure points don't transfer? I know they do from NYS to Ontario and vv. I would be certain. You may want to look into getting a paralegal to fight the ticket for you.

Doc Savage Sep 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by geotravel (Post 21456920)
I got a speeding ticket two weeks ago in Vancouver, BC driving a rental car from Avis which I rented at Seattle airport. Officer wrote 110km in 60km zone. (50km over!) $196 ticket. I am sure I was not going that fast b/c I was on the Sea to Sky highway going to Whistler mountain and going at 110km there would be a suicide. I have since returned to NY. Points do not transfer to NYS License. Should I pay this ticket? I travel to Canada (usually drive) twice a year. I have a feeling that if I don't pay this ticket then I might have problem entering Canada?

That's only 68mph, sure you might not have been doing that?

If you plan to go back to Canada, you will have to deal with this one way or another.

CPRich Sep 16, 2013 11:27 pm

Just pay the ticket and be done.

Or do you prefer to have this in the back of your mind, especially when you travel to Canada, forever?

(I've driven this road. For many stretches, the speed limit is 80, 90, or 100kph. 110kph is hardly suicidal)

trooper Sep 16, 2013 11:57 pm

It seems pretty clear you WERE speeding... right? And you just "feel" it "wasn't that fast"?

Add me to the "Just pay" chorus.

Tshoobaka Sep 17, 2013 4:35 am

Just pay if you want to go back and I actually find it strange that you haven't already had additional fees from Avis for getting a ticket with their rental

j_the_p Sep 17, 2013 6:48 am

You're lucky to get away with such a small fine. 50km over in Ontario would have meant your vehicle would be automatically impounded and a $10,000 fine.

Sweet Willie Sep 17, 2013 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Tshoobaka (Post 21458184)
... and I actually find it strange that you haven't already had additional fees from Avis for getting a ticket with their rental

please explain, I've had tickets while renting a car and never had additional fees/correspondence from the rental car company in regards to the ticket.

Originally Posted by geotravel (Post 21456920)
Should I pay this ticket?

I would not pay the ticket until you have done some research.

Personally I've always found it worthwhile to go to court if possible or at least hire an attorney to appear for me. For example, last speeding ticket I received was in Indiana, far from my home, so I wasn't going to go to court personally as I didn't have time (although as stated I really try to appear in person if possible). So I searched for attorneys near the courthouse in Indiana who practice in traffic offenses. A telephone call with the attorney, explaining the ticket, my current traffic record (any tickets for past 3-5 years) and how I'd like the attorney to appear for me in order to get the fine reduced and offense transferred to a sentence of supervision (term is different in some states.) Sometimes I've been made to pay the fine but sign a document stating I won't have the same offense in the State (or county) for X time.

This approach has always worked out better for me than just paying a ticket as the ticket does NOT get reported to my state & therefore my insurance.

I don't know if Canada has the same supervision set up as in the U.S. but I feel it is well worth your time to correspond with an attorney near the court in Canada to see if you have any options, especially in light that you will be going back to Canada.@:-)

--

RussianTexan Sep 17, 2013 7:42 am

Pathetic revenue generators. Disgusting.

Tshoobaka Sep 17, 2013 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie (Post 21458733)
please explain, I've had tickets while renting a car and never had additional fees/correspondence from the rental car company in regards to the ticket.

I don't know if it's from renting in Europe more often than within my own country, but I always thought based on the terms and conditions of the rental that if you committed an offense with their car it's an additional 41€ or something like that

Tshoobaka Sep 17, 2013 9:24 am

And I forgot to add : I know in certain European countries this works, but I'm not sure for your American insurance and driver's, but if I get a ticket in Europe for speeding or something I don't lose points on my Canadian driver's and it doesnt affect my insurance. You just have to pay the authorities for your name and passport not to be stained

minhaoxue Sep 17, 2013 9:32 am

You were cited for exceedingthe speed limit. Whether you believe it or not, the Officer does. You can protest the ticket or pay it. I would not just ignore it and hope it will go away, because it will not.

What would happen if you don't pay a tcket in the US? Can't register your vehicle or fees will keep on doubling. Same thing in Canada.

sonofzeus Sep 17, 2013 9:34 am

YGPM.

gobluetwo Sep 17, 2013 10:02 am

I've not gotten a moving violation in a rental before, but I would think that if you don't pay, the government would eventually send a notice to the registration holder, who would then pay the ticket. In this case, it would make sense that Avis would pay and then come after you to reimburse them for the cost of a ticket + some sort of service charge. Whether or not it causes issues for you in Canada, it might cause issues for future rentals with Avis.

fairviewroad Sep 17, 2013 10:23 am

Originally Posted by RussianTexan (Post 21458857)
Pathetic revenue generators. Disgusting.

Pathetic trying to save the lives of drivers, passengers and innocent bystanders. Disgusting. :rolleyes:

If the cop was lying (and we have no proof either way) that's one thing. But 50 km/h over the limit is nothing to sniff at. The OP could have killed him/herself and others.