Wiki Posts
Search

What do you think of this in hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Hotels won't want to highlight all the other things that aren't "cleaned"

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I think that highlighting cleanliness issues to customers is not a great idea for hotels.
^+1

Once the "masses" are informed/reminded that the remote even needed to be cleaned, everything else that isn't cleaned in such a manner will suddenly be suspect. Most won't recognize that the remote is (arguably) one of the very few items in the hotel that are not regularly washed, but guests regularly use after which guests don't normally wash their hands. All they will see is that only one item in the room was "fully cleaned."
Old Sep 14, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Talking

Originally Posted by WWGuy
What about the toilet handle, and sink knobs, and door knobs, and clothes hangers, and telephones, and alarm clocks, and thermostat, and light switches, and drawer handles, and the clothes iron, and desk chair arms, and...
I'm with you. I know there is gross stuff in the room.. body fluids in the mattress, naked bums sitting on the sofa and other yucky stuff. I just don't think about it. If I did, I'd never leave my home!
Old Sep 14, 2013, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I've seen these in BW hotels already

http://www.cleanremote.com/best-west...ean-remote.php
Old Sep 14, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
I think it's a good idea, and I think it will sell.

Nobody expects a room to be completely sanitized after each guest leaves.

I don't think it highlights general cleanliness issues. It highlights the fact that they care about their guests. The remote control is one thing that people will handle regularly in a hotel room. Even if it were to be wiped down, this is a way of ensuring that it's completely clean.

Good luck to you! Please make sure to post here again once you've made your first large sale.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I've seen these in BW hotels already

http://www.cleanremote.com/best-west...ean-remote.php
Four different BW stays since they brought those things in - not one of them worked the first time. Two had to be changed out, one needed batteries and the other TV we (including hotel staff) never got to work.

If I want to watch TV, I'll risk the germs.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
The last hotel I stayed at (in Brazil) had wrapped plastic around the remote. With no nooks and crannies to worry about, presumably this way the remote is easier to clean. The plastic wrap didn't seem to affect the functionality of the remote.

I don't personally worry about germs on the remote, but if I did, it seems that a ziploc bag would solve the problem quite nicely for far less than the electricity cost of yet another electronic gizmo.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
What do you think of this in hotels?

I wipe down remotes with alcohol swabs. They're compact and 100 costs about $4 at the pharmacy. UV may sanitize germs but doesn't wipe away human secretions of various kinds.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I think it's a good idea, and I think it will sell.

Nobody expects a room to be completely sanitized after each guest leaves.

I don't think it highlights general cleanliness issues. It highlights the fact that they care about their guests. The remote control is one thing that people will handle regularly in a hotel room. Even if it were to be wiped down, this is a way of ensuring that it's completely clean.

Good luck to you! Please make sure to post here again once you've made your first large sale.
Thank you for the encouragement! We are getting a lot of very positive responses. Hospitality is one but Education and Healthcare is another huge market that we didn't expect.

It is interesting to read all of the different thoughts and hear the inputs from everyone. Thank you.

Not everyone is going to feel the need to have one but for those that feel the product is bringing up the fact of dirty rooms, we believe to the contrary. It tells you that the hotel cares about your health. It is a device that doesn't get looked after and if this hotel is this detailed, they are certainly concerned about the pillows, bathrooms, etc.

To the question about "boogers" on the remotes, a simple wipe from housekeeping to remove the objects that are stuck and let the CleanremoteUV kill the germs.

To clean the CleanremoteUV, housekeeping wipes the outside as they already do with everything else.

Finally, you don't have to buy a remote control from another company and program it. It will fit the remotes the hotel currently uses. The notion and argument of, "not fitting all remotes and devices" doesn't make sense.

Cost to the hotel for two years is .27 cents per day and after that. How much does housekeeping waste in wipes and labor? Certainly more than .27 per day.

Yes, it does require an A/C plug and if the hotel can't find another spot for the plug, I do not think that is a deal breaker. If Hilton or the Four Seasons see the benefit of this product, I think finding a plug is not going to be an issue.

Finally, do you know how much it costs for a cruise ship to return if the Norovirus is spreading? Getting rid of the Norovirus is not just a matter of using alcohol wipes - it doesn't work. And if any industry can use something that gives it a leg up, Hint: Carnival, it would be the cruise industry. (Yeah, just because they clean the rooms weekly doesn't mean you don't go and touch everything else on the ship that thousands of others have touched).

That's what great though about FT - there are a lot of people who have very strong opinions. Please keep the comments coming. This is very helpful! Thank you.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
The remote will not be clean but hopefully germ free - thus the product name is a bit misleading. I can guarantee that the stuck on dried boogers will still be there when it comes out. That said they should be germ free. Having a clean remote will be more important than a germ free. For instance, linens that are dingy in color may be germ free. But who wants to dingy linens? Similar for the remote.

In my world there is clean and then there is sterile. Achieving each requires different processes. For a remote what is current process for cleaning them in the hotel industry? Do they get wiped down with a combo cleaner/sterilant? What is the process for the rest of room. Personally I would be worried about other parts of the room.
That is a good point. Sterile is for OR and UV is very effective at killing germs and viruses. So, having housekeeping perform a quick wipe to remove debris would solve your issue?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've stayed in a few hotels that place a foil wrapped disinfectant disposable towel packet next to the remote for guests to use. I wish airlines provided the same thing to wipe off tray tables and armrests. I've never seen these things in stores, but I haven't systematically looked.
That is a good idea and I wish airlines would do the same.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
It doesn't seem like that wonderful of a product frankly. It only works in remotes/small stuff? Probably not worth the money for a hotel or individual to buy. What about surfaces? What about door knobs and faucets? Toilets? Headboards? Sheets?

Look, I'm your exact target audience. I clean ever hotel room before I bring my stuff in and check for tell tale signs of bed bugs. You are trying to solve a problem but you've only addressed one of many germ-o-phobe's issues. Until your product can clean multiple surfaces and sizes, I think it is inferior to my plastic clink wrap remote/handle/surface barrier, which also addresses the dirty/grime issue another poster brought up.
So what you are saying is that unless a product can solve everything, there is no point in them investing in it? From what I can see in the hotels I have stayed in (SPG, Hilton and Hyatt), Cleanliness is very important and if the hotels can put in place a product or program that gives them a leg up over the competition, I think there is a market. I could be completely wrong but welcome your input in case I am mistaken.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mules
IMO, this might go over well with those that don't travel a lot. People who travel a lot know all of the other places that aren't clean. Some one who travels less and is anxious about contracting noro will be more impressed. Have you considered marketing this to the cruise lines?
When we demonstrated it a couple of conferences, healthcare and cruise lines were very interested. With the Norovirus, you can't kill it with alcohol and the process is using other chemicals is time consuming and expensive.

Thank you for your input!
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWGuy
What about the toilet handle, and sink knobs, and door knobs, and clothes hangers, and telephones, and alarm clocks, and thermostat, and light switches, and drawer handles, and the clothes iron, and desk chair arms, and...
Those items are supposed to be cleaned (- alarm clock, clothes iron, I have not used those items recently). Most everyone uses a remote.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by tdml68
To the question about "boogers" on the remotes, a simple wipe from housekeeping to remove the objects that are stuck and let the CleanremoteUV kill the germs.

To clean the CleanremoteUV, housekeeping wipes the outside as they already do with everything else.
Um, what do you think housekeeping is wiping the outside with? Answer: a rag with disinfecting spray. So why then would a hotelier invest the extra money and time to "disinfect" the remote a second time?

Cost to the hotel for two years is .27 cents per day and after that. How much does housekeeping waste in wipes and labor? Certainly more than .27 per day.
Um, no. And I hope you mean less than three tenths of a cent per day per room. That's $236 a year for a 300 room property at 80% occupancy. If it's actually 27 cents a day per room, you're dead in the water.

Yes, it does require an A/C plug and if the hotel can't find another spot for the plug, I do not think that is a deal breaker. If Hilton or the Four Seasons see the benefit of this product, I think finding a plug is not going to be an issue.
Does this mean you have signed contracts with Hilton and Four Seasons system-wide? Or contracts with one or two hotels that happen to be branded Hilton or FS? Or just talks? And yes, finding a plug can be a HUGE issue at many hotels.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
The best barrier to germs (and the reason why germaphobes are still alive to obsess over germs) is human skin.

That said, I think most hotel operators are going to be more interested in sealed remotes that are easy to clean/wipe off than adding another AC or battery-operated item to the inventory.

And...what about the surface of the Cleanremote UV? You've just given housekeepers a new item to have to clean/wipe off.

The video doesn't show if this thing is on AC power - I'm guessing it is, so you're now taking up an outlet, and most hotel rooms are short of outlets as it is.

If it's battery powered, then it's probably two (or four!) batteries per unit, so you're adding that expense, maintenance and carbon footprint impact on each and every room.

You're competing against CleanRemote, which is becoming common in many hotel rooms, and is an easier solution IMO.
Brian, thanks for the input. I do not understand your statement about the best barrier being human skin?

You don't have to do anything to the CleanremoteUV other than wipe the outside smooth surface to remove the dust. The inside is completely clean.

It is A/C powered and if wall adapter is a problem for the hotel and they can't make due to get an adapter, they are not really interested in the product.

Regarding being Green, we do not require a wipe or disinfectant so we are actually reducing the carbon footprint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.