Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

OT: careful what you post (Ryanair suing individuals over online posts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: careful what you post (Ryanair suing individuals over online posts)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Does Michael O'Leary have a small todger?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
Originally Posted by dc2447
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco Volante

Yes.

a civil court in a libel / slander case can ask a service provider to hand over user details?
A civil court has pretty much the same power as a criminal court. In this case they are asking a data provider to identify people who they wish to file claim against. This is perfectly regular stuff.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Does Michael O'Leary have a small todger?
Well, he's got a big airline, so what does it matter?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
One thing we all know about BA though is that the pilots have a no-blame attitude to reporting safety concerns and issues. This is overwhelmingly positive. However Ryanair have sacked a senior pilot for raising these concerns in the press and are now considering sueing him for defamation! My presumption would be as a non-pilot (along with many readers) is that he should have been able to report and raise this internally and move on. Why did this not happen?!

Anyway - this is a good read:http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl...d-know-better/

And before this thread is closed / banished / deleted don't forget Ryanair have said they have "no objection to honest, objective and legitimate comment" I agree with them when they say "Ryanair’s safety is on a par with the safest airlines in Europe".
You really think BA wouldn't sack a pilot for making wholly unsubstantiated claims to the press that BA is an unsafe airline?

Ryanair and the IAA have a system where the pilots can anonymously report safety concerns. I've seen it argued that they don't trust those systems to work - which theoretically makes me sympathise with going to the press instead but he did it completely wrong. Not only did he not provide any evidence at all for these safety concerns, he point-blank refused to do so, along with every single other "insider" on that Channel 4 documentary, despite being offered an independently drawn contract guaranteeing no punitive action would be taken.

In my mind the likely reasoning behind that is that those safety concerns don't actually exist (or at the very least are speculative). We all know how badly the likes of Ryanair can treat their staff (though the 1 Ryanair pilot I've actually met seemed rather happy) - is this all therefore just a load of staff trying to get their own-back?

Originally Posted by zerolife
so is Ryanair also ok with us sueing them for all the misleading ads or statements they have made?

I can't speak about the blog posts but after watching the Channel 4 documentary, I don't see it as implausible and I haven't seen any hard evidence from Ryanair refuting the claim the documentary made.
Of course you can - I'm not sure however that you will get anywhere as I can't recall a single ad or statement they've made that is so misleading it's illegal?

It's rather hard to prove a negative though isn't it? How about giving me some hard evidence that fairies don't exist! Ryanair have denied the claims made so it's up to the accusers to prove them.

And this sums up precisely why Ryanair are currently suing anyone and everyone! You watched a documentary that provided no evidence whatsoever to back up it's claims, yet you semi-believe them.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:24 am

Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by callum9999
You really think BA wouldn't sack a pilot for making wholly unsubstantiated claims to the press that BA is an unsafe airline?
Didn't say that. My impression is that a BA pilot wouldn't feel the need to go to the press as they seem content with the internal reporting system of safety issues.

You would think going to the press would be the last resort when you think the systems in place aren't taking your worries seriously or acting on what you think are safety concerns.

Of course nothing can stop a pilot acting maliciously, although i'm sure they would be aware they are writing a resignation letter for their career if this was the case.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:27 am

Didn't say that. My impression is that a BA pilot wouldn't feel the need to go to the press as they seem content with the internal reporting system of safety issues.

You would think going to the press would be the last resort when you think the systems in place aren't taking your worries seriously or acting on what you think are safety concerns.

Of course nothing can stop a pilot acting maliciously, although i'm sure they would be aware they are writing a resignation letter for their career if this was the case.
Ah right. Though the hostile nature of that pilots statements, his complete lack of evidence and him apparently being about to retire anyway seems more malicious than "genuine concern" to me!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:34 am

Ah right. Though the hostile nature of that pilots statements, his complete lack of evidence and him apparently being about to retire anyway seems more malicious than "genuine concern" to me!
In which case he was incredibly naive to think that Ryanair wouldn't go after him. Wonder if he had a pension

Anyway, here's a statement regarding the sacking from Ryanair's Pilot Group.

https://www.ryanairpilotgroup.com/pu...%20Ryanair.pdf
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:43 am

This thread is threading on a fine line with some posts, and also not relevant to BAEC. Moved to TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:54 am

In which case he was incredibly naive to think that Ryanair wouldn't go after him. Wonder if he had a pension

Anyway, here's a statement regarding the sacking from Ryanair's Pilot Group.

https://www.ryanairpilotgroup.com/pu...%20Ryanair.pdf
That looks just as biased as any anti-Ryanair person/organisation is though!

"John’s dismissal by the company shows the hollowness of Ryanair’s promise to
legally protect the pilots who took part in the Channel 4 Dispatches programme, if those pilots revealed their identities."

Ryanair made no such promise - they promised that they would legally protect anyone who identified themselves AND let Ryanair view their supposed evidence. Everyone of them refused to do so (which I find rather bizarre - you may have no faith in the reporting system, but what's the harm in letting Ryanair see it as well as the press?).

And if, as they are claiming, he thought he would be legally protected - why did he not take Ryanair up on their offer to get legally-binding contracts drawn up guaranteeing that? Do they really expect me to believe that he thinks Ryanair is happy to put hundreds of lives in danger yet also thinks that they'd never go back on their word!?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:15 am

That looks just as biased as any anti-Ryanair person/organisation is though!
My final point now it's been moved across to TravelBuzz as i'll never visit over there:

That "anti-Ryanair person/organisation" as you call them is the 'Ryanair Pilots Group' - all pilots for Ryanair (I would like to presume).

Does that not speak volumes to you?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a civil court in a libel / slander case can ask a service provider to hand over user details?
Yes, of course.

But more importantly, Internet Brands is unlikely to fight the action in court at all. It is simply too expensive.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I would expect any Internet service to protect my privacy unless criminal law has been broken.
Lower your expectations. I would expect an Internet provider to rat me out in a heartbeat at the first sniff of a potential legal action. You should too.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
It's a Private Pilots Rumour Network
It's Professional Pilots Rumour Network, not Private Pilots Rumour Network
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:52 am

My final point now it's been moved across to TravelBuzz as i'll never visit over there:

That "anti-Ryanair person/organisation" as you call them is the 'Ryanair Pilots Group' - all pilots for Ryanair (I would like to presume).

Does that not speak volumes to you?
Yes it does - it says they have a vested interest in bad-mouthing Ryanair as they obviously aren't happy with working conditions.

Just like I have a vested interest in bad-mouthing my own employer who I also greatly dislike.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.