Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tattling on electronic device users

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by brentley
someone in business had their phone ring when we were over greenland.
My phone did ring when I was flying over Sierra Nevada on SFO-LAS flight. It was so weird that I actually did answer the call.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by invisible
My phone did ring when I was flying over Sierra Nevada on SFO-LAS flight. It was so weird that I actually did answer the call.
I was once flying to a minesite in the middle of nowhere on a little Cessna Caravan and they told me that since they didn't go above 10k feet that we didn't need to turn our phones off...so I didn't, got a phone call, then couldn't hear anything because the cabin was so noisy

No surprises I guess but still a bit of an anti-climax haha
Old Aug 16, 2013, 4:43 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by celle
.....I was recently asked by a FA to switch off my e-reading device prior to take-off. It is not one that can either transmit or receive. It's just a storage device for books that I have downloaded on my computer and then transferred to the e-reader.

Since my particular e-reader doesn't send or receive anything, it seems to me that switching it on would have no more effect on an aircraft than switching on a torch/flashlight.

Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge than I can either defend or contradict my reasoning?
Without getting into the safety issue of use of electronic devices during takeoff/landing, I'd say the FA was correct. On just about every flight I've been on in the last 10 years the spiel about electronic devices has included "anything with an on/off switch". This would include a flashlight.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:10 am

Since I don't actually think that electronic devices pose any threat to the operation of the aircraft, I think this one is a "mind your own business".

That said, it is annoying when people think they are "above the law" or "above the rules". It's like a silent DYKWIA, cause I'm better than you! However, there are sometimes consequences. I have a friend that is an AA FA based out of IAD, and she told me that she actually had security deplane a passenger from first class after that passenger refused to turn off an iPad, and was belligerent about it. I also witnessed a guy that was ignoring the "fasten seatbelt" sign, got up and was in the aisle when we came upon a big turbulence bump, and he was knocked off his feet and flat on his face. Karma's a ......

I've said this before and I'll say it again, when the rules are not enforced, only "rule followers" will follow the rules. Other people will not.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Laylla
I've said this before and I'll say it again, when the rules are not enforced, only "rule followers" will follow the rules. Other people will not.
And when the rules have absolutely no connection to reality, as is the case here, they will be ignored, by many.

This has nothing to do with anyone thinking they are "above the law", it is simply that people can't be bothered to do something which has no effect on safety.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by joedish
Just mind your own business. Nobody likes a tattletale.
Exactly. MYOFB.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
This.

Originally Posted by dchristiva
MYOFB.
Haha. If not turned off, I at least use airplane mode, to conserve that extra bit of juice for a couple of hours inflight. But for the people whose phones happened to ring in flight..
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:49 am

OP, I agre with you. While I wouldn't say anything to another passenger, I would not be upset with someone who would. I don't like when people ignore the announcement (which is a requirement - NOT A REQUEST), because it shows that they do not take direction well. I especially hate seeing people in First/Business Class ignore this requirement. Why? These are the same DYKWIA passengers that quickly pass judgement on others for "not following the rules" in life. Moreover, the argue that the rule "really doesn't matter." Well, whether it matters or not is not the point. It's a requirement, and everyone is should follow it. Not doing so makes you just as bad as a common criminal who doesn't think the rules apply to them.

One last thing, I hate that Flight Attendants are selective as to who/when they enforce the rules. Sometimes I wonder if they are afraid to chastise certain passengers. Guess the point is I couldn't be a flight attendant, because I would enforce rules.

Another thing...When some "undesirable" shows up on the news/youtube.com for not following the rules on a flight, frequent flyers are quick to pass judgement. Yet, they do the same thing. That's what is worst about the entire situation. Enforce your laws on everyone but me....
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: IHG About to Be Demoted, AA Demoted to Nothingness
Originally Posted by UnfathomableBastid
Just curious as to the group's general opinion on this topic. I travel for my job and am amazed at the % of people who blatantly ignore the request to shut off electronic devices. Or worse -- conceal the use of them when the FA does her cabin check.

Up til this point I've stayed quiet. But I think I've reached my limit. Do you guys take matters into your own hands, alert a FA -- or just ignore it and mind your own business?
I leave it alone. The airline isn't going to have my back if I do its job for it, and it's certainly not going to discount the fare.

That said, it annoys me when someone manages to "not hear" the announcement, but they hear the personal hey-you from the FA just fine. If they are delaying pushback, they deserve to writhe in lengthy torment.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:39 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
I'm a non-confrontational person to the fullest, so there's no way I'd say anything. It doesn't bother me.

Besides, I occasionally like to take pictures of the view out the window during takeoff, and I always hope that I wont be confronted. Never have been, luckily.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Kinkora
I understand the OP's frustration - really getting tired of people thinking that they are so special/important, etc. that the rules don't apply to them. I think, like baggage restrictions, the airlines need to either enforce this requirement or drop it.
On one of my last flights, the girl next to me kept texting after the FA told her to shut her phone down. I turned to her and asked her to please turn her phone off and well.. LOL you can imagine the response I got!!!
No easy answers for this one.....
How on earth does this even impact you? Talking on the phone - ok, I totally get that because it's loud. Texting is....silent.

If we all followed the rules, we'd still be sending tax dollars back to England.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
I just have "fun" spectating the scolding roulette. Who's going to get scolded for the phone ... the seat upright position ... tray table ... bag not under seat in front of them ... I never say anything, but in my mind I just think, "man, you were itching for that..."
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mtftw
If we all followed the rules, we'd still be sending tax dollars back to England.
That has got to be one of the most obtuse arguments I've seen on FT.

It's not up to you to rationalize the situation. They've got rules. Follow them or have fun taking the train. Or bus. Or ... flying your own plane under 10k feet.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriot Gold, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite
I fly a 172 when I need to go from ATL to close places like Birmingham and Huntsville.. Often times I do concalls or take phonecalls while flying. I have much more advanced avionics (believe it or not) than 99% of the commercial airliners. I think the rules are just plain silly and typical government oversight of a non-existent problem.

So to answer the question I don't care.. I use my kindle almost all the time and FAs don't even seem to care as they walk by and clearly see me reading on it. I would say 1 out of 5 tell me to turn it off which I comply with.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by relberger
That has got to be one of the most obtuse arguments I've seen on FT.

It's not up to you to rationalize the situation. They've got rules. Follow them or have fun taking the train. Or bus. Or ... flying your own plane under 10k feet.
or break the rules and fly anyways. it works for 99% of us

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.