Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tattling on electronic device users

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Just curious as to the group's general opinion on this topic. I travel for my job and am amazed at the % of people who blatantly ignore the request to shut off electronic devices. Or worse -- conceal the use of them when the FA does her cabin check.

Up til this point I've stayed quiet. But I think I've reached my limit. Do you guys take matters into your own hands, alert a FA -- or just ignore it and mind your own business?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:53 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by joedish
Just mind your own business. Nobody likes a tattletale.
^

MYOB. Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I wouldn't tattle on anyone who continued using a mobile phone or any other electronic device,
A. Because I'm not about to start an argument with a fellow passenger.
B. Because I'm not convinced by the claims that electronic devices can interfere with the aircraft.

However, I would probably give dirty looks to someone who continued talking on a cell phone while in the aircraft. To me, aircraft safety aside, that's just plain rude.

I was recently asked by a FA to switch off my e-reading device prior to take-off. It is not one that can either transmit or receive. It's just a storage device for books that I have downloaded on my computer and then transferred to the e-reader.

Since my particular e-reader doesn't send or receive anything, it seems to me that switching it on would have no more effect on an aircraft than switching on a torch/flashlight.

Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge than I can either defend or contradict my reasoning?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Reached yor limit? That's just silly. Let them be. Who cares. If it becomes more and more common and blatant perhaps one day our genius govt will realize what a useless rule it is to begin with. I don't think I've ever seen anyone turn a device off and I've yet to crash a plane
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:24 pm

Unless the use of the device is directly affecting you, which isn't likely to be the case, just mind your own business. Not worth starting an argument with a fellow passenger over something so trivial!

Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
snitches gets stitches!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:58 pm

I understand the OP's frustration - really getting tired of people thinking that they are so special/important, etc. that the rules don't apply to them. I think, like baggage restrictions, the airlines need to either enforce this requirement or drop it.
On one of my last flights, the girl next to me kept texting after the FA told her to shut her phone down. I turned to her and asked her to please turn her phone off and well.. LOL you can imagine the response I got!!!
No easy answers for this one.....
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Reached your limit,
Mind your own business,

Next thing you know you will be telling people their shirt colors don't match, and they will tell you that you have bad breath,

Great First Post, keep your shoes on,

Me I just turn on my cell phone jammer ..and mind my business.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by joedish
Just mind your own business. Nobody likes a tattletale.
^I second that
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold

Snitches get stitches, I don't mess with that
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
I think it's just one of those general things wherein "I'm doing the right thing, why should someone else be able to get away with it?"

I just don't let it bother me personally but as ~50% of my flights are charter flights to mine sites so I see a lot of people 'doing the wrong thing', ie. wearing hoodies and having their headphones in the whole flight listening to music etc.

I don't think tattling will necessarily achieve anything, in fact it might just fuel some people on to keep on doing it to defy the rules!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Is this actually a repeat of a thread here a couple months ago?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...something.html
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
I'm having a hard time taking the OP seriously, but it seems a large number of people leave their devices on:

mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/bits/2013/05/09/30-percent-of-passengers-accidentally-leave-a-device-on-during-flight/

The actual danger is extremely near to zero. It's likely the FAA will change their rules in due time.

So, we must ask, is the OP tattling or telling? Tattling, he's definitely tattling.

And, if I may be so bold, I would go so far as to say that having a passenger who has "reached his limit" is far more dangerous than having a cellphone left on.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:48 pm

OP, do you go to public places and ask everyone if they've washed their hands? That worries more than electronics.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA, United
It is really not anyone's business but the person who chooses to ignore the rules. I flew BCN to JFK in June and someone in business had their phone ring when we were over greenland. It was the oddest thing; however it was obvious the phone had been on the whole time the crew did not even flinch.

Now if you are a dykwia or another form of flight moron it would be fine if someone pointed you out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.