Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are flights to Europe from PHL cheaper than from EWR/JFK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:26 am
Original Poster

I'm flying to Amsterdam in August for a cruise, and ended up booking flights to/from Philadelphia instead of JFK or EWR because it was $200 cheaper out of PHL. I live an hour north of EWR, so PHL is out of the way for me, but not enough so that it's not worth driving to in order to save $400 for the two of us.

This isn't the first time I've noticed this pricing. We flew to Barcelona a few years ago and found the same thing (that time there were 4 of us so it was a no-brainer). This time, my flights go thru DTW so I will need to end up back in PHL, but the last time they went thru JFK (and we "missed" our connecting flight back to PHL and picked up a rental car at JFK). I will probably drive my own car to PHL and park at a hotel and get a sleep/park/fly package since it is cheaper than renting a car in both directions.

Anyway, what is it about PHL that causes the fares to be that much cheaper? Is it competition from US Air? I tried looking for fares out of BDL or ALB hoping they would also exhibit the same "cheaper than NYC" behavior but they weren't cheap. Or is what I am seeing not common and I just got lucky both times?

If there is a better place for this thread, please move it.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:14 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
I have 2 words for you; "demand & supply"!!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MisterBill
I'm flying to Amsterdam in August for a cruise, and ended up booking flights to/from Philadelphia instead of JFK or EWR because it was $200 cheaper out of PHL. I live an hour north of EWR, so PHL is out of the way for me, but not enough so that it's not worth driving to in order to save $400 for the two of us.

This isn't the first time I've noticed this pricing. We flew to Barcelona a few years ago and found the same thing (that time there were 4 of us so it was a no-brainer). This time, my flights go thru DTW so I will need to end up back in PHL, but the last time they went thru JFK (and we "missed" our connecting flight back to PHL and picked up a rental car at JFK). I will probably drive my own car to PHL and park at a hotel and get a sleep/park/fly package since it is cheaper than renting a car in both directions.

Anyway, what is it about PHL that causes the fares to be that much cheaper? Is it competition from US Air? I tried looking for fares out of BDL or ALB hoping they would also exhibit the same "cheaper than NYC" behavior but they weren't cheap. Or is what I am seeing not common and I just got lucky both times?

If there is a better place for this thread, please move it.
Your $400 "savings" evaporate pretty quickly: gas for the drive to and from PHL and hotel/parking package. That total: at least $180. Then your time: you have to leave much earlier, drive longer, stay in an hotel, fly backwards to DTW, connect (hopefully your inbound is on-time) and then fly longer to get to your cruise. And then do the same on the reverse. Sounds like you're adding at least 24 hours total journey time to the trip, as well as a connection. Not sure how you see $400 in "savings" here? If you value only your time at $10 an hour, you're already losing money.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jun 27, 2013 at 5:10 am Reason: corrected maths calculation given two traveling
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:50 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
A few reasons:
They are different markets
Different competition, and may be competing with airlines that offer a direct service, and so a connecting service is less attractive and priced cheaper
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:53 am

PHL is my home airport. For four years now I've been pricing TATL fares to various European cities, and JFK is almost always the lowest.

You lucked into random chance, not a consist pattern of lower fares.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:59 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
PHL is my home airport. For four years now I've been pricing TATL fares to various European cities, and JFK is almost always the lowest.

You lucked into random chance, not a consist pattern of lower fares.
Were you looking at one airline/alliance, or all airlines when you did this? The OP may have been looking at one particular airline/alliance too.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by nux
Were you looking at one airline/alliance, or all airlines when you did this? The OP may have been looking at one particular airline/alliance too.
No, I use search tools like kayak.com, IATA Matrix, Expedia, etc. to see the largest possible range of airlines over a variety of dates.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:16 am
Original Poster

No, I use search tools like kayak.com, IATA Matrix, Expedia, etc. to see the largest possible range of airlines over a variety of dates.
Same for me. I was looking at NY/PHL-AMS on 8/9 or 8/10 and back on 8/24. From PHL the best I find is $1022. From NYC, $1200 and up. I booked thru the cruise line and they had a $957 fare, which I wasn't able to find on Kayak or anywhere else (and they were $1200+ from JFK/EWR).

Last edited by MisterBill; Jun 27, 2013 at 10:41 am
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Not as bad as you make it seem

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Your $400 "savings" evaporate pretty quickly: gas for the drive to and from PHL and hotel/parking package. That total: at least $180. Then your time: you have to leave much earlier, drive longer, stay in an hotel, fly backwards to DTW, connect (hopefully your inbound is on-time) and then fly longer to get to your cruise. And then do the same on the reverse. Sounds like you're adding at least 24 hours total journey time to the trip, as well as a connection. Not sure how you see $400 in "savings" here? If you value only your time at $10 an hour, you're already losing money.
First off, your numbers ignore the fact that it would cost me money to get to JFK/EWR as well.

I'm taking the day off when I fly out and it's not a big deal if I have to leave a few hours early. Coming back, I've decided that I will stay in a hotel in PHL that night because my flight only gets in at 7:30pm. But I can do that for $130 including being able to park my car at the hotel for the entire time. I generally rent a car (since I have Hertz on-site at the company I work for). If I went to JFK/EWR it would be around $60 each way; to PHL, $100. So staying overnight makes it cheaper than renting a car in each direction and I get the added bonus of not having to drive home when my body thinks it's midnight. Yes, I will get home later than if I was able to fly into EWR/JFK, but it's a weekend so I won't miss work, and the the cost (other than added mileage and tolls) will be comparable. I have a 1:15 drive to EWR (maybe a little less to JFK but higher tolls). PHL is 2:40. So it's not THAT much further. Extra mileage is 90 each way, so that's 6 gallons of gas = $20 since I can get cheap gas in NJ.

I was able to get a 2:49pm flight out of PHL which gets me to AMS at 8am, which is perfect since it gets me a full day there. I'm arriving 2 days before my cruise.

Obviously if I miss the DTW-AMS flight I am going to have problems, but none of the cheap fares out of JFK/EWR were direct, either.

You forgot the added bonus - more FF miles :-).

Last edited by MisterBill; Jun 27, 2013 at 10:39 am
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:46 am

Same for me. I was looking at NY/PHL-AMS on 8/9 or 8/10 and back on 8/24. From PHL the best I find is $1022. From NYC, $1200 and up. I booked thru the cruise line and they had a $957 fare, which I wasn't able to find on Kayak or anywhere else (and they were $1200+ from JFK/EWR).
It may be that in peak season, on your preferred dates, the cheaper fares from NY area airports were already sold out. I tend to start researching fares to AMS 4 to 6 months in advance, over a flexible date range, and while the occasional quirk or sale fare pops up, the trend strongly shows leaving from the NYC area is cheaper.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: Alas, not enough to earn miles
PHL is also my home airport and we can never find flights to Europe that are cheaper than EWR or JFK. We went on a cruise last fall that left from AMS and ended in Barcelona; we flew Aer Lingus from JFK via Dublin round-trip because it was $400 cheaper than flying directly from PHL. Saving $800 (minus parking, gas and tolls) and flying JFK was worth it to us. You are very lucky.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Guercifgal
PHL is also my home airport and we can never find flights to Europe that are cheaper than EWR or JFK. We went on a cruise last fall that left from AMS and ended in Barcelona; we flew Aer Lingus from JFK via Dublin round-trip because it was $400 cheaper than flying directly from PHL. Saving $800 (minus parking, gas and tolls) and flying JFK was worth it to us. You are very lucky.
The operative words in the above: Aer Lingus. EI's fares are often freakishly low compared to their main competitors - I flew JFK-DUB with them last February for $420 r/t.

I would tend to think fares from NYC would be relatively lower than from PHL just because there's so much competition between JFK/EWR/LGA. By contrast, PHL is more of a captive market, as it's far enough from the NYC airports that most people won't want to make the schlep.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

It may be that in peak season, on your preferred dates, the cheaper fares from NY area airports were already sold out. I tend to start researching fares to AMS 4 to 6 months in advance, over a flexible date range, and while the occasional quirk or sale fare pops up, the trend strongly shows leaving from the NYC area is cheaper.
Yeah, well seeing as how I only booked the cruise on Tuesday (when the price dropped dramatically), I couldn't have bought the tickets earlier .
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:05 pm

Yeah, well seeing as how I only booked the cruise on Tuesday (when the price dropped dramatically), I couldn't have bought the tickets earlier .
I get those last minute cruise ads, too. Some of them are very tempting...
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

I get those last minute cruise ads, too. Some of them are very tempting...
This wasn't quite last-minute, since it's for August. I don't want to think what I'd pay for really last minute airfare.

This week appeared to be the big week for cruise sales, I got several emails on Tuesday. I had been waiting for a cruise to Bermuda to drop in price so I could book it. Then this got so cheap that I couldn't resist ($1299 for an outside for 12 nights to Scandinavia/Russia on Celebrity). It's back up to $1699 today.

If I had booked the Bermuda cruise, I would have just driven the pier and I wouldn't be here talking about airfare.

Last edited by MisterBill; Jun 27, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.