FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1479370-corporate-flight-policies-employees-booking-business-first-class.html)

invisible Jul 16, 2013 8:09 pm

It would be useful if contributors mention size of the company and industry. I've noticed that similar size companies have quite different travel policies.

So far trend is that in terms generosity (best to worst) of the travel policy best are publicly held companies in following industries:

- Finance institutions, particularly hedge funds
- Oil and Gas
- Pharmaceuticals
- Business consulting
- Information Technology

Least generous:
- Government agencies (US)
- Privately held companies
- Manufacturing
- others (insufficient data)

Also, with the exception of the finance institutions/hedge funds there is another trend that with the increase of the size of the company and increase of EPS travel policy is getting more generous.

Thoughts?

kakipi Jul 16, 2013 8:44 pm

In my former company, all travel was paid by the client and was required to be in Y. I did work with one partner who would pay to upgrade when offered the chance and bill it to the client as a "misc travel expense." She would also "lose" dinner receipts that had excessive alcohol purchases on them. :mad:

One of the best days of my life was a couple weeks after my first MR for a status challenge, sitting up front enjoying my PFD and realizing the company president had just boarded and was heading back to Y.

Thank you, FT! :D

GatorAir Jul 17, 2013 8:32 am

Originally Posted by emrdoc (Post 21109349)
True but the execs share of the stock decline is less than the benefit they individually receive when flying F.

A frivolous benefit IMHO at the expense of the other shareholders as well. Then again, I guess the shareholders all have to sign off on the executive compensation plan anyways.

goku001 Jul 25, 2013 1:47 am

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Work for a bank. Get business for more than 5 hours. But usually get morally persuaded to fly economy even for longer than 5 hours. Cost cutting and all that. Nothing is sacred!

fastfxr Jul 25, 2013 7:59 pm

No policy in place whatsoever.
That being said, no one books BC. All of us (stateside anyway--we're an intl company and overseas have to book through a travel agency) book our own flights, carriers, and pray for an upgrade.

Artpen100 Jul 26, 2013 7:40 am

Boutique consulting firm. Everyone books their own flights, hotels, and cars. Whether on the company (e.g., business development) or on the client, we pay only for economy. (And refundable economy is highly discouraged.) Consultants pay for their own upgrades or business difference. Since so many of us have lots of miles, including on the credit cards, we rarely fly economy unless we want to (mainly on shorter domestic flights where it doesn't make any difference). I save most of my miles/dollars to upgrade on international or coast-to-coast flights. I also have lounge access through a credit card. Seems to work pretty well overall.

KhaiGoBed Oct 31, 2014 5:48 pm

Privately held Fortune 50 company. Policy is any flight over 5 hours can be booked in business class. But our booking portal limits it to the cheapest fares and airlines as "company approved." Can select the more expensive ones if availability or travel dates impact the travel itinerary though. I often just rationalize it by saying that I'm more productive off a plane than on a plane, so going for the more expensive routing has worked for me in the past.

blue47 Oct 31, 2014 8:01 pm

Two jobs. Large international company with required corporate travel agency for airline booking. The corporate travel agency never booked me anything but the lowest available ticket. Other job is consulting company that I am a partner. I charge the client the lowest available fare when they request the consult. I upgrade out of my pocket on international flights if the timing might affect my performance because I am tired from a crowded coach trip.

Hengilas Oct 31, 2014 9:41 pm

Self employed. Y when tcon, and I always try to splurge for at least Y+, usually business when possible on tpac/tatl. I will also upgrade at the airport to business/first if the price is right. For example I just upgraded at the gate at SEA for SEA-> LAX from Y+ to F for $90. Solid deal to keep my sanity even on a shorter flight

Ben and Jerry Oct 31, 2014 10:04 pm

Flights within US are Y, for across ocean (TATL/TPAC) may request business, but will only get it if a contract rate is available. Company has a deal with Delta for undisclosed fares, so they are preferred carrier. If J is approved, the US segment is also in F.

planes&trains Oct 31, 2014 10:54 pm

No business class within US. International, if more than five hours.

Sixth Freedom Nov 1, 2014 5:07 am

Qatar Airways:

Business travel:
CEO = firm F everywhere
Senior Executive = firm J everywhere, upgrade to F if seats available
Executive = firm Y everywhere, upgrade to the highest of F or J when there are seats available

Manager = firm Y everywhere, upgrade to J (long haul) or F (short haul) when there are seats available
Staff = firm Y everywhere, upgrade to J on flights longer than six hours when there are seats available

Senior Captain = as Executive
Other Flight Crew = as Manager
Cabin Crew = as Staff

Only the CEO and Senior Executives can take F or J when a revenue ticket needs to be purchased

I used to travel a day or two early or late when more convenient flights were forecast to be full. Not everybody could get away with this though!

Leisure travel:

CEO, Senior Executive, Executive and Senior Captain can buy industry tickets in F, J or Y
Manager and other Flight Crew can buy industry tickets in J or Y
Staff and Cabin Crew can buy industry tickets in Y

Analysys Mason Group:

Company manual:
W where available, Y otherwise

In practice:
Fly in the same cabin as the Client when travelling together
Fly in J on a paid project if the Client is paying or the price is not unreasonable compared with W
Fly in F if the fare is not unreasonable compared with J or W (e.g. because BA are doing a buy-J-get-F offer)

Tchiowa Nov 2, 2014 1:12 am

Used to work in a Fortune top 10 company. Domestic travel always Coach. International always business class.

Now independent. I tell my clients I fly business class and they have to reimburse. I don't give them an option.

mandolino Nov 2, 2014 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa (Post 23777212)
Used to work in a Fortune top 10 company. Domestic travel always Coach. International always business class.

Now independent. I tell my clients I fly business class and they have to reimburse. I don't give them an option.

I would give you the option of flying economy or finding another client.

s0ssos Nov 2, 2014 6:51 am

I wonder how much time it takes for senior approval. Many have noted for certain tickets they need senior approval. Is it a lot of time out of that person's? Is it worth it, presuming they make six-figures or more?