FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1479370-corporate-flight-policies-employees-booking-business-first-class.html)

EchoVictor Jul 8, 2013 1:37 pm

Hedge fund where my friend works:

Everyone is entitled to fly business (or the premium cabin) everywhere, even short domestic flights. The employees can choose coach and get a pay supplement equal to one half of the difference. My reasonably young friend does this every time because it represents a nice boost to his pay right out of B-school. Sweet deal, right?

hco Jul 12, 2013 8:16 am

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Always Y. LCC is expected if available and reasonable.

Policy includes everyone, also CEO.

deniah Jul 12, 2013 8:46 am

Originally Posted by brendog (Post 21060677)
After a decade and a half in the F500 world, I now work for a much smaller, venture-backed company. We really don't have any policies insofar as class of service, but as my bonus is directly linked to my budget, I'm pretty vigilant about booking Y, unless a cheap A fare pops up, which they do from time to time. Fortunately, all of my flights are short now, 6 hours max, so it doesn't matter as much as when I was consistently shuttling to BNE or LHR in years past.

this seems like the most pragmatic solution

mandolino Jul 12, 2013 10:58 am

It's amazing how many people who couldn't possibly fly long haul in economy, suddenly discover new bounds of possibility when it directly affects their pocket.

fgirard Jul 12, 2013 12:03 pm

I recently was hired by an oil firm based ex-Houston. For my level of employment is J for transcontinental (LAX-JFK, etc...); lowest available fare for anything under 4 hours (although last minute fares are exempt); and C/F when on intercontinental--however, some of the locations are so remote that chartered aircraft are a necessity.

8rulos Jul 12, 2013 7:34 pm

Cheapest fare on preferred carriers. Up to USD 50 tolerance. Business on TPAC and TATL. if you are above a certain title and fly over 75k miles in a fiscal year you are entitled to business on flights over 3.5hrs.

hm212 Jul 12, 2013 9:20 pm

The 6 hour rule seems pretty standard - My people just put that policy in writing that it is standard coach under 6 hours. Upgrades may be used at employee cost (points or dollars).

mandolino Jul 13, 2013 6:05 am

The 6 hour rule seems pretty standard
That depends on where you are. 6 hr from MEL or SYD en route to Asia or Europe and you haven't even left the mainland yet. You can be pretty sure that most bosses down under don't apply this rule as a standard.

invisible Jul 13, 2013 9:02 am

Originally Posted by mandolino (Post 21085511)
It's amazing how many people who couldn't possibly fly long haul in economy, suddenly discover new bounds of possibility when it directly affects their pocket.

Is this surprising? As it was demonstrated, there is some common denominator - flights >7-8 hours are eligible for business class.

How imagine that there is a policy - with the above eligibility one can book flight in Y and have half of the fare difference go to their pocket.

How many people would rather choose above option?

pragakhan Jul 13, 2013 9:59 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 21089872)
Is this surprising? As it was demonstrated, there is some common denominator - flights >7-8 hours are eligible for business class.

How imagine that there is a policy - with the above eligibility one can book flight in Y and have half of the fare difference go to their pocket.

I would not pick the kick back option at 500, 1000 or even half, I am sure there are others in here whom wouldn't either.

Badenoch Jul 13, 2013 10:05 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 21089872)

Direct overnight flight to Europe with no meetings on the day you arrive? Take the money.

Same as above but must hit the ground running? It depends what I'm doing. Low stress/non-critical take the money otherwise take J class. I do not want to risk fouling something important because I didn't get enough sleep on the flight over.

Two or three stop flight to Africa or Asia? Take J class.

invisible Jul 13, 2013 10:32 am

Originally Posted by pragakhan (Post 21090073)
I would not pick the kick back option at 500, 1000 or even half, I am sure there are others in here whom wouldn't either.

And there are even more who would.

Look at this from different perspective - one can make extra 15% (or more) of annual income. I am pretty much sure that there are bunch of people who would agree with this kind of swap.

pragakhan Jul 13, 2013 10:36 am

My comfort is priceless.

invisible Jul 13, 2013 11:00 am

Originally Posted by pragakhan (Post 21090221)
My comfort is priceless.

Really? It does not have any dollar value at all, no matter how much?

pragakhan Jul 13, 2013 11:41 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 21090308)
Really? It does not have any dollar value at all, no matter how much?

Exactly. But then again I do not value cash over my enjoyment and comfort in life. I am paid what I feel is appropriate for the work I do and I wouldn't feel better about supplementing it based on sitting in Y for extended periods of times when I don't really need to.

Don't worry, my wife thinks I am weird too ;)