FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1479370-corporate-flight-policies-employees-booking-business-first-class.html)

Swarez Jul 5, 2013 9:19 am

Economy all the way, expect if a client is willing to pay for it, than added into contracts.
Currently the only client that pays is a state owned TV station in China, so trips from NA to PEK are all in J.

Few years ago (before my time), if you left North America you could do business, but never first. Cost cutting measures, and sinking stock prices there have been cuts.

Does anyone else have meal allowances? $15 for breakfast, $20 for lunch, $30 for dinner if alone, tax, tip not included. No limits if you are with clients or in NYC.

678flyer Jul 5, 2013 9:22 am

Here is a perspective from another part of the world. I work in a senior position for a large India based organization. Anything over 8 hrs is J but only for corporate pay grades. Everybody else flies Y.

lovely15 Jul 5, 2013 11:23 am

US based here, and our 6+ transoceanic flights are in J. F is only authorized on a domestic segment of an transoceanic flight with no J cabin. Lowest fare, of course, although lowest appears to be subjective somehow.

stifle Jul 5, 2013 2:20 pm

I work for a consultancy, and for us it's Y under 1,600 miles and J above that. Used be a four-hour cutoff but that got gamed. Also for non-chargeable travel over 1,600 miles, Y+ is "encouraged".

As for choosing airline and time, staff members are permitted to use their professional judgment, but the lowest offered fare for your journey (within 3 hours either way) is printed on your itinerary and occasionally people get pulled up and asked to explain a choice.

As for miles, a don't ask, don't tell policy applies.

mandolino Jul 5, 2013 2:31 pm

Interesting to see how for many people, it's about rules and procedures rather than value.

I think that tendency increases with the size of the organisation and ability to charge to clients.

Yes I know there is value on arriving rested and well, having been able to work on the plane. But believe me, if you're in a small business trying to get cash flow going, you'll fly Y from Hammerfest to Hobart if that's what it takes, and all the amenities of J class don't seem so important.

Annalisa12 Jul 5, 2013 10:44 pm

All travel within Australia is Economy. Overseas travel is in Business class so you are ready to work as soon as you arrive.

Annalisa12 Jul 5, 2013 10:54 pm

One more thing!

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 21048043)
All travel within Australia is Economy. Overseas travel is in Business class so you are ready to work as soon as you arrive.

Forgot to say.... Australian Government position.

mandolino Jul 6, 2013 1:23 am

Kinda confirms the popular stereotype of public servants, Annalisa12

stifle Jul 6, 2013 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 21048043)

Can you expense Qantas Club access? Our Australian staff can.

mandolino Jul 6, 2013 4:46 am

I'd see QC access as a relatively cost-effective benefit, if they fly frequently.

Productivity Jul 6, 2013 5:43 am

Large energy multinational. Anything over six hours is business.

Badenoch Jul 6, 2013 5:55 am

North American based resource company with operations in Europe, Asia and Africa. Any flight with a segment over 5 hours is business.

TimothyTaylorLandlord Jul 8, 2013 12:26 am

Self-employed but T&C state 6+ hours in J. No-one has ever queried it, and it allows me some discretion. I did a job for a large NGO and did LHR-NBO in Y when the partner for a global consultancy also on the job insisted on J.

JanoSicek Jul 8, 2013 8:03 am

Fortune 500 IT Company

The system finds cheapest flight with least connections in economy and business, and we are given an allowance, somewhere in middle.
If you are under the allowance, the credit gets saved for your future business trips.

With this system, many people fly premium economy, or business one way.

And of course, you can torture yourself with extra stops, hidden city or whatever you want to endure, if it helps you stay under allowance. That's what I do, and enables me to fly in J most of the time.

brendog Jul 8, 2013 10:08 am

After a decade and a half in the F500 world, I now work for a much smaller, venture-backed company. We really don't have any policies insofar as class of service, but as my bonus is directly linked to my budget, I'm pretty vigilant about booking Y, unless a cheap A fare pops up, which they do from time to time. Fortunately, all of my flights are short now, 6 hours max, so it doesn't matter as much as when I was consistently shuttling to BNE or LHR in years past.