Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
Perhaps the airlines should stop giving out seat reservations for the very back row of coach...
I was under the impression that some airlines do inhibit the last row of coach from being pre-assigned.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by Herb687
I was under the impression that some airlines do inhibit the last row of coach from being pre-assigned.
A post in the Delta forum says that DL blocks the last two rows in coach.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Meanwhile, I have a story in which I offered to switch and the offer was ignored.

I was flying PDX-MFR in a Jetstream 31, in which seating was 1-2. I was assigned to a seat in the 2-side side, with an empty seat beside me.

The row in front was the exit row. The two seats in that row were taken by a woman and a boy, possibly her son, who appeared to be about eight years old. The crew (co-pilot, iirc, as there was no FA) asked them to move, because the boy was too young for an exit row. They refused, then switched seats with each other - which made no difference. A complicated seat-swap discussion ensued with the passengers on the 1-seat side, to no avail. I offered several times, loudly I thought, to switch with them, but neither the woman passenger nor the crew member paid any attention. The boy was finally moved to the only other empty seat, but moved back as soon as the co-pilot wasn't looking.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Herb687
What makes this a horror story?
Rather than asking me if I would move, the ......... controlling boyfriend was ordering the girlfriend to ask me. Right in front of me.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
A few years back, when my daughter was about 1.5 years, I was traveling on biz trip to Asia; flying LH.

I got the business seat cause of work and I bought my wife an economy class ticket to travel with my daughter.

We took our seats, planning to talk to the FA, after departure of the flight to change our seats.

The part of the plane that my wife sat with my daughter was a window two seat side, so there was a man sitting next to her in the aisle.

I took my seat and told my wife and daughter to take theirs. When my wife took her seat with our child...I could see the aisle guy's expression that he would have to sit 9+ hours with a 1.5 year old lap child.

He did not look too pleasant.

Understanding this, I just went up to the purser and asked if we could just switch from the very beginning...I would sit in the window and wife would take the business seat. Purser says "no problem"....you should have seen the guy's expression of joy, when he heard that my daughter moved to business class with my wife.

Too bad...I could not sit with them....
Old May 13, 2013, 2:00 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Originally Posted by muc2asia
Too bad...I could not sit with them....
You could have...just give the stranger the J seat.
Cotumely likes this.
Old May 14, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
On a LHR-JFK flight,as I boarded the plane,I came across a gentleman sitting in my aisle seat. (Coach...way before I'd heard of FlyerTalk).
I explained to him that he was in my seat and he tried explaining to me in broken English (with a Russian accent) that he wanted to sit next to his wife and his seat was in the next row.

Having lived in Russia for 6 years, I speak fluent russian and told him in russian that it wasn't a big deal and I'd be glad to switch seats.

The lady in the next row overheard us talking and says to her neighbor in an audible whisper, "Oh my God what are they talking about in that strange language?" I looked at her and she rolled her eyes in apparent disgust (!?)
Normally I could care less, because I've dealt with a lot of racism in my time in Russia but the whole eye roll just got under my skin.

Turns out that the seat I was being offered to switch for was also an aisle seat and it was all good.
I take my seat and a few minutes later she taps my shoulder and asks me in a voice dripping with honey, if I'd be "so kind" to switch seats with her, because she likes sitting in the aisle seat.

Needless to say, I refused.
Cotumely likes this.
Old May 14, 2013, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Since there have been a few funny/horrifying stories of seat swap requests over in this thread, I thought I would try to start a "master thread" for venting about such requests.

I'll start with a couple I've mentioned elsewhere:

I once was next to a woman, who was in a middle seat, and whose boyfriend was in the middle in front of her. After they got settled, he looked at her and said "well, go ahead, ask!" and she proceeded to ask me to switch with her boyfriend.

Sometimes, swap requests are the opposite of bad. I've been the beneficiary of what I call a 'friend-up', when a passenger in F offered to swap with me to sit with his friend in Y. I didn't mind pretending to be a 1K up in F for the flight
If one finds being asked for an uneven seat swap to be a "horror story," I wonder how that person copes with a real problem.
Old May 14, 2013, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flubber2012
If one finds being asked for an uneven seat swap to be a "horror story," I wonder how that person copes with a real problem.
If one has trouble recognizing hyperbole, I wonder how one functions on a website full of it.
Rebelyell likes this.
Old May 15, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by jatink129:207512

I take my seat and a few minutes later she taps my shoulder and asks me in a voice dripping with honey, if I'd be "so kind" to switch seats with her, because she likes sitting in the aisle seat.

Needless to say, I refused.
So liking something is a valid excuse? At least come up with an entertaining story!
Old May 15, 2013, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Rather than asking me if I would move, the ......... controlling boyfriend was ordering the girlfriend to ask me. Right in front of me.
I suspected this was hyperbole but maybe you were horrified!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 16, 2013, 4:13 pm
Suspended

If one has trouble recognizing hyperbole, I wonder how one functions on a website full of it.
The story was so lame that it takes hyperbole to a whole new level.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
After reading through this thread I am definitely thankful to have been pretty lucky when it comes to seat swaps. The closest I've come to an unpleasant swap is having my grandfather guilt me into swapping into 7B from 7D on a CO 73G so that an elderly couple could sit together for the 3hr flight.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:53 am

On a C17... typical family reunification switch. I had a nice, cozy seat next to the loadmaster, someone asked me to switch so they could sit next to the family. I obliged and ended up in the very last seat on the plane, right next to the aft door and the ramp. Little did I know that on C17s temperature spread is minimum 20 degrees between the front and the back and feels more like a 50 degree spread. According to the crew, temp was on the low 40s back there and I wasn't dressed for that. It had to be the most miserable flight in my life, it made me forget all about how uncomfortable a jump seat is. Never again.
Old May 19, 2013, 4:11 pm

It's not a horror story, but this was my most recent experience with a seat change request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.