Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
My philosophy: since the likelihood of getting a much better seat is close to zero, I will simply decline (barring actual critical issues such as minors separated from parents). There's a dutch saying told to children: "van ruilen komt huilen" which translates to: if you trade, you end up crying.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
You're overthinking this. My own list:

1. Are you offering me a considerably better seat than the one you're begging me for? If not, bugger off, I'm not in the least interested in why you want my seat, you can stay in your own.
2. There is no point 2.
I only fly medium to long haul transoceanic flights and this more or less is my method.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by dc2005b
Recently I had 2C (bulkhead aisle) on a 4+hour domestic Delta flight. Upon boarding I find someone sitting in my seat and asked him to check his boarding pass. He said he had switched at the request of couple now together in 1AB to sit together on the basis he was switching and aisle for an aisle. Turns out the lady had 2D and duped this man into switching his aisle seat for her window seat and now he was sort of huffy. He asked to stay in aisle but I politely declined and said I had picked this seat specifically. He moved into window seat begrudgingly. The lady across the aisle just ignored this whole scene and acted like she had done nothing wrong. If in his shoes, I think I would have asked for my original seat back!
Something similar happened to me, only it was back in Y, and the squatter in my aisle seat, who directed me to "her" aisle seat in another row, actually had a middle seat. I did ask for my original seat back, and I got it. I restrained myself from emphatically telling her what I really thought about her squatting-and-lying combo, but I did rebuke her in a fairly measured tone. This was in the center section of a widebody, and it resulted in a fair amount of grumbling and conspicuous seat-reshuffling among her family (all adults), who had nabbed the row of four seats. Too bad.

Last edited by Giggleswick; Oct 24, 2014 at 7:41 pm
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
I only fly medium to long haul transoceanic flights and this more or less is my method.
Any extra information lets them think that you are open to negotiation. This worked for me as well once when a check-in agent asked me if I'd give up my seat for a couple who had a baby and "needed" the bassinet (the seat had a little extra leg-room). I just politely refused, no reason given.

When I boarded, they baby couple had obviously been given the bassinet seat on the other side of the plane and, surprise, they didn't use the bassinet at all, the operated their infant as a lap-child. I would have been really pissed off if I'd complied with the request, but at least they didn't try to blackmail me in front of the doting parents.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:39 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by lagunas2k
Honestly guys, you are taking this way out of proportion, but I guess some of us don't have much work to do on a Friday. Call it what you want. I asked, got declined, came on flyer talk to complain about it, but ultimately I still managed to find a nice guy who was willing to swap seats with me (who took a window in exchange for an aisle BTW). People get so riled up on the internets these days.

I've been asked multiple times to swap seats for a variety of reasons. My deductive reasoning goes like this:

1. Are you sitting in my seat already? If so, I'm going to say no and kick you out of my seat regardless
2. Are you asking me politely and trading an equivalent seat, I oblige
3. Are you asking me politely and trading me a non-equivalent seat but have some circumstance that could help the other individual out (sitting with a child, newlyweds on their honeymoon, old people), I will typically oblige when the flight is domestic and I'm not being downgraded among classes (main cabin extra to main cabin)
4. On a transatlantic or transpacific, unless there is an extenuating circumstance, I'm keeping my seat as I've usually pre-selected it months in advance because of legroom, proximity, etc.

We all have our reasons. The lady apparently had her own, warranted or not. I thought it was funny (as honestly by all deductive reasoning she did not seem "allergic" to anything), thus shared it online. Also for someone who is allergic to the sun, she sure wasn't wearing any "sun protection." I don't think a t-shirt and shorts really are the protective type of clothing. Don't go painting yourselves as saints, because I'm sure you've never gone on the internet to complain about something trivial.

Either way, we were both upgraded in business class and wouldn't have lost any sleep if we were separated, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If I felt the ladies response was stupid, that is my opinion, which I chose to share.
Maybe, she intentionally meant to give a "stupid" response. After reading all the replies to this, I would most likely responded, if I were in her position with an equally inane reply of " It goes against my religion". Then again, I would have revelled in the rolling of the eyes of the FA too. I guess this must be because I see humour in such responses.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by lagunas2k

I've been asked multiple times to swap seats for a variety of reasons. My deductive reasoning goes like this:

1. Are you sitting in my seat already? If so, I'm going to say no and kick you out of my seat regardless
2. Are you asking me politely and trading an equivalent seat, I oblige
3. Are you asking me politely and trading me a non-equivalent seat but have some circumstance that could help the other individual out (sitting with a child, newlyweds on their honeymoon, old people), I will typically oblige when the flight is domestic and I'm not being downgraded among classes (main cabin extra to main cabin)
4. On a transatlantic or transpacific, unless there is an extenuating circumstance, I'm keeping my seat as I've usually pre-selected it months in advance because of legroom, proximity, etc.
Do you realize that this is not an example of deductive reasoning?
Cotumely likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
I refuse ESPECIALLY when it is the case a couple separated by a few rows. I find it ridiculous. I am sure, they will survive without seating next to eachother for a few hours. For heaven's sake, in some places in the world people are separated by war and they don't make such a fuss!

In one of those situation, I refused the swap from an aisle to a middle seat in Y (on a 9+ hour flight to Iran) so the wife could sit next to her husband. The guy seemed extremely shocked by my "rudeness" and looked at me as if I were the devil. They eventually persuaded some other fellow to move.

Iranians can't say no to eachother and if soemeone does, they find him rude and awful. We have something called "taarof" which means that you do or refrain from doing something only to be polite even if it is against your interests. For instance, if you are dying from thirst and someone offers to share his drink with you, you're supposed to refuse the offer and insist vehemently on the refusal. Very counterintuitive custom IMO. In that sense, I am soooo not Iranian.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wandering_persian
Iranians can't say no to eachother and if soemeone does, they find him rude and awful. We have something called "taarof" which means that you do or refrain from doing something only to be polite even if it is against your interests. For instance, if you are dying from thirst and someone offers to share his drink with you, you're supposed to refuse the offer and insist vehemently on the refusal. Very counterintuitive custom IMO. In that sense, I am soooo not Iranian.
But it's ok to ask???
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
Originally Posted by Calchas
But it's ok to ask???
Not really. It's very rude as well, but when they do ask, the proper way would be to agree with everything or "pretend" that you are okay with everything.

There is saying in Persian: "I learned politeness from the impolites".
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: United Plat and falling
I witnessed an interesting seat swap dispute across the aisle from me yesterday on an A321, 3-3 seating in economy. Lady A took seat 34 E (middle) to sit next to her friend in 34F. A few minutes later Backpacker-y guy B came up and said, "I think you are in my seat". Lady A says - I'd like to sit next to my friend, can you please take my seat in 23B (also middle). Guy B shuffles back up the plane, only to come back a couple minutes later saying, "I need to sit in my seat." Lady A objects and explains again that he can have her seat. Guy B looks up the plane and then sprints forward and plops in a free aisle seat. End of boarding comes and the last person on wants the aisle seat Guy B sat in, so he comes back again. But this time he walks past Lady A and row 34 to talk to the FA. FA comes up to Lady A and says. "can I see your boarding pass?" Lady A explains she wants to trade to sit with her friend. FA then goes back to Guy B and starts to put (undue, I would say) pressure on him to swap. Guy B finally explains: there is someone else in 23 B with that same seat assignment. FA took him forward and found another seat - I couldn't see where. Lady A stayed put. But karma being what it is, one of my little Fischies in 34C accidentally spilled a bit of food on her half way through the flight. I was very apologetic, but she was unhappy (who would be happy?).
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:30 am

If the guy wanted his assigned seat, I don't like at all that the FA didn't support him, but....he couldn't sit in the lady's seat who wanted him to switch because someone else in it. Who knows whose assigned seat it really was? FA sees musical chairs will ensue so she does what's easiest and finds him an empty seat. Except for the principle of letting the lady get away with seat stealing, it was not a bad solution since he was in a middle seat to begin with and no worse off.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: United Plat and falling
He was arguably better off - since the new seat was further forward, and presumably not next to a clumsy (but adorable) 9-year-old. But the attitude, which I am perhaps not a skilled enough writer to communicate was: what is the deal with this guy? Just take the exchanged seat already! Except of course, he couldn't.

Last edited by fischi; Oct 27, 2014 at 7:10 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
So the last bunch of seat-swap posts in this thread all go something like this:

"Someone asked me/I asked someone to trade seats, offer was (semi-) politely declined, no punches were thrown and no one was kicked off the plane."

These are horror stories? If those posting these stories actually believe that, you have lived very, very sheltered lives
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:13 pm

Switched from a primo extended leg seat for a nice couple to sit together w/ baby - thought better to avoid baby. Ended up having to wait - standing - until everyone boarded to find my way to the swapped seat.... which was damp...so I sat on a plastic bag provided by airline staff....next to a fat guy who was not aware of soap.

Expensed a 1st class ticket for my return leg for the absolute horror of that ride.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by wandering_persian
I refuse ESPECIALLY when it is the case a couple separated by a few rows. I find it ridiculous. I am sure, they will survive without seating next to each other for a few hours. For heaven's sake, in some places in the world people are separated by war and they don't make such a fuss!
For my part, I'm glad to see such all-consuming love abroad in the world today. Such that people who live together can't bear to be separated by a few feet for a few hours. Ahh, young love. Or old. Or love of better seats.

In one of those situation, I refused the swap from an aisle to a middle seat in Y (on a 9+ hour flight to Iran) so the wife could sit next to her husband. The guy seemed extremely shocked by my "rudeness" and looked at me as if I were the devil. They eventually persuaded some other fellow to move.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course not, yet when one declines to swap seats, the requester often tries to demand a reason.
Convinced at this point that these are ploys to gain compliance, as in my own example somewhere upthread. The Ends Justify the Means. I had an ex like this: they are 'warriors' in the game of life and the goal is to win, and other people are 'opponents' to be vanquished. A 'healthy' degree of entitlement seems to be part of the equation too.

Originally Posted by Tizzette
If the guy wanted his assigned seat, I don't like at all that the FA didn't support him
Agreed, but FAs are human (and often harried) and will sometimes take the path of least apparent resistance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.