Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feel uncomfortable on a Regional Jet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:02 am
Original Poster

I had a flight a few months back on an American Eagle CRJ700 and for the first time when flying, I didn't feel comfortable at any point during the flight. Despite the plane being clean and modern, from the second I boarded I felt claustrophobic and just generally uncomfortable. Every noise/movement grabbed my attention and my hands were soaked with sweat by the time we landed!

I'm around 6ft tall and not a nervous flyer by any means, I usually read on takeoff etc and I'm pretty relaxed, it really takes a lot to make me feel so uncomfortable!

I can only think that it must have been the plane itself (size or something similar). I may have flown on a CRJ200 a few years back but I don't remember, other than that in well over 100 flights the smallest plane I've been on is either an A319 or an MD80.

So, I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, or if somebody may be able to provide an insight as to why that particular flight made me so uncomfortable?

Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:32 am
Suspended

About 10-15 years ago, I was on a CRJ200, seated at the window next to an obese woman. Unfortunately, the $^&%$^ GA took about 20 minutes to drive the JetWay up. I had a near panic attack. It had never happened before or again but having that [edited by Moderator per FT Rules] next to me in that little tube, I felt trapped.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm Reason: See above note.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
no one likes the barbie jets, but this is the reality we have to deal with.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
I've never been uncomfortable as in "OMG We're Going To Crash" on a CRJ but I am often uncomfortable as in "Who The @#*$ Designed These Torture Seats". I don't have this problem with Embraer jets. They're small but the seats are at least comfortable.

That said, FC seat 1A on the CRJ700 and CRJ900 is an excellent seat if you can manage it.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by realjd
I've never been uncomfortable as in "OMG We're Going To Crash" on a CRJ but I am often uncomfortable as in "Who The @#*$ Designed These Torture Seats". I don't have this problem with Embraer jets. They're small but the seats are at least comfortable.

That said, FC seat 1A on the CRJ700 and CRJ900 is an excellent seat if you can manage it.
As someone who spends entirely way too much time on E145s and CRJ200s and who is 190cm (6'3"ish) with a bad back, I'm definitely physically uncomfortable on jungle jets, but I've never felt unsafe. Commercial planes in developed nations are so infinitesimally likely to crash that I don't even think about it. The drive to and from the airport is another thing entirely...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:56 am

I didn't care for the CRJ-200s that DL used to fly out of my small hometown airport. I've drank larger cans of soda. I don't think I've flown on a CRJ-700 but I don't mind the 900s at all. Currently AA flies ERJ-145s out of our airport which IMO for a small jet are pretty nice. I always try to get an A seat which in the 1-2 config gives you the best of both worlds -- a window and aisle seat.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:20 am

I do. I feel uncomfortable on regional jets. Mostly because of this crash:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Midwest_Flight_5481

There were two causes cited by the FAA. The first one was about the elevator cable adjustment being done wrong during routine maintenance. The second was about the plane being 580 lbs heavier than they thought due to passenger size being higher than the averages used to estimate passenger weight.

So when you board a plane, you have no idea about mechanical problems. But you can look around and see who is on the plane. The FAA estimate of weight per passenger is 170 lbs. When I get on board and it's mostly men, which it frequently is on the CHS - IAD United commuters, I just get a bad feeling. Most men weigh over 170. And a lot of women weigh over 170 also. I try to convince myself that business travellers travel light and likely have less luggage...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:35 am

Flew American Eagle a while back and said never again! Seats are bad enough but the seat pockets were stretched out (broken I guess) so you had no leg room either. Put armrest up and leaned on DH most of the flight. He was sooo happy
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flubber2012
About 10-15 years ago, I was on a CRJ200, seated at the window next to an obese woman. Unfortunately, the $^&%$^ GA took about 20 minutes to drive the JetWay up. I had a near panic attack. It had never happened before or again but having that [conforming Moderator edit to original post] next to me in that little tube, I felt trapped.
I can't even begin to imagine what that must have been like! I can happily say I've never had to experience it (yet)

I didn't have a the feeling that we were going to crash, just very uncomfortable! I can't compare it to how I've felt on any other flight!

Originally Posted by brendog
As someone who spends entirely way too much time on E145s and CRJ200s and who is 190cm (6'3"ish) with a bad back, I'm definitely physically uncomfortable on jungle jets, but I've never felt unsafe. Commercial planes in developed nations are so infinitesimally likely to crash that I don't even think about it. The drive to and from the airport is another thing entirely...
Again, that's exactly how I felt! I didn't feel unsafe, but I did want to get off that plane as soon as was humanly possible!

Originally Posted by Laylla
I do. I feel uncomfortable on regional jets. Mostly because of this crash:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Midwest_Flight_5481

There were two causes cited by the FAA. The first one was about the elevator cable adjustment being done wrong during routine maintenance. The second was about the plane being 580 lbs heavier than they thought due to passenger size being higher than the averages used to estimate passenger weight.

So when you board a plane, you have no idea about mechanical problems. But you can look around and see who is on the plane. The FAA estimate of weight per passenger is 170 lbs. When I get on board and it's mostly men, which it frequently is on the CHS - IAD United commuters, I just get a bad feeling. Most men weigh over 170. And a lot of women weigh over 170 also. I try to convince myself that business travellers travel light and likely have less luggage...
One thing to remember about past incidents/accidents, is that the industry always learns from them!

There was an Air Crash Investigation programme shown on National Geographic in the UK about this flight and if I remember correctly, following the crash and subsequent investigation the NTSB advised the FAA that passenger weight estimates should be adjusted upwards to prevent this from happening again. As a result, it's not something that I would worry about!

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 26, 2013 at 2:29 pm Reason: See above note.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
I am quite comfortable in a regional jet, as long as the jet is an Embraer 175 or, at the least, a CRJ 900. And I am especially comforatable in F!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hyatt
I am claustrophobic, and I cannot sit in the back of a regional jet. On one flight I had been reassigned to the last row, window seat. I refused to sit there and luckily some nice person up front on the aisle switched with me. But even then I had to put my legs in the aisle since there was zero leg room for a guy 6'1".
I hate regional jets.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
CR7s feel like luxury stretch limousines compared to the decrepit old CR2s Delta likes to keep around. If it weren't for RJs, many airports would have a lot fewer flights, so I'll take them over the alternative - not flying at all.

Agree 100%. 1A is my favorite seat on any any plane - and on a CR7 or CR9, I even have a decent shot at the upgrade.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: LH SEN*2
Originally Posted by eturowski
Agree 100%. 1A is my favorite seat on any any plane - and on a CR7 or CR9, I even have a decent shot at the upgrade.
Well, make sure that you get a seat plan before you praise those two, there is usually a toilet/restroom right next to you and if there is an outbreak of diarrhea in the cabin, half of the aircraft will line up at row one and with every door opening, you have this sweet little s.house flavour in the air
better row 2 and the other side
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Bernie2012
Well, make sure that you get a seat plan before you praise those two, there is usually a toilet/restroom right next to you and if there is an outbreak of diarrhea in the cabin, half of the aircraft will line up at row one and with every door opening, you have this sweet little s.house flavour in the air
better row 2 and the other side
I've never seen a CRJ with a lav up front.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
YES!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.