Reload this Page >

Wearing suits in business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wearing suits in business class?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:17 am

I work in the tech field and want people to take me seriously, so I don't wear suits. Which works for me, b/c despite what anyone says I'll never believe a tucked in button up and belt is as comfortable as sweats and a hoodie.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i travel in a Travel Smith blue 100% silk blazer. have been for over 10 years. never been to cleaners. i sleep in it on airplane. it has inside zip safety pockets. not sure how many, never found them all. carry passport, tickets, money(two kinds), id cards, billfold, credit cards, info for destination. where you put your money, passport and credit cards after you put on your snuggle bunny pj's. in your overhead???
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Amelorn
On many flights, I find the cabin temp warm or hot. My standard choice is usually corduroys or chinos. I am not a denim fan and abhor sweats. A worsted wool suit would not be fun.
Interesting choice, considering corduroy is F/W wear. And not any cooler than wool trousers lighter than 12oz.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Based upon my unscientific survey, 90% of those that bring their own PJ's on board are overweight, also wear tennis shoes and snore very loudly. 95% hail from one country
Those darn Albanians again...
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:40 pm

I once had to fly from London to Sydney to attend a funeral after arrival. As I was flying business class, I decided that the way my suit was going best (or least bad) at the other end was if I wore it rather than packed it. My jacket was hung up properly for the entire flight, and my trousers were also in good shape (and "naturally creased") on arrival, rather than with folds in them or packing creases, as they would have been if packed, even in a suit bag.

In any case, a well-tailored suit should not be uncomfortable: if it is, one should find another tailor.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by tylerf
What you wear gives people the first impression of who you are. So if you meet a good contact in biz class, you don't want to get to know them in your kangaroos pajamas, do ya?

=)
Even those are CEO or people that fly very frequently will still change to PJ for long flights especially if the airline actually offer them.

Not to mention, airline care more about your status with the airline, not how you look. You can wear the nicest suit but still get serve the last if you don't have status, no matter you like it or not those wear PJ but have status will serve first or before you.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Anything you are wearing in-flight is one less thing to pack. On a day flight, when I was going straight to work, it was a simple matter of wearing a suit I would wear to the office. An evening flight meant wearing my most cumbersome suit, so it would not take up space in my suitcase.

As a woman, I had (and still do) mostly travel in, and generally wear, when I have to wear a suit, suits that are made of a knit material. They travel well, don't wrinkle, and, because they are made by the same design house, jackets, skirts, and dresses all mix and match, making it easy to have a week's wardrobe with a few pieces in my suitcase, as well as what I am wearing in-flight.

If I am going to sleep in flight, I will wear the pajamas (if offered). Otherwise, I will remove the jacket and shoes.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I do. I actually enjoy dressing up and I enjoy how I feel and look when I do so. When you're a guy like me it makes you look a little slimmer I think at the very least. Besides, it was my Dad (whom I'm pictured below right before JFK-SFO in First) who taught me "it's very hard to be overdressed"

Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC, BA
Wear it or pack it?

I guess the logical follow-on question is not "what" you wear in business and first, or whether or not you feel as comfortable in it as you would in sweats and a hoodie, but rather, "Would you rather fold up your suit and hope it shows up at the other end, or would you rather stuff your $15 cotton sweats into your bags and trust the airline with making sure those got delivered?"

Personally, while I rarely travel with a tie on, I always travel in a jacket and proper shirt - the jacket goes onto a hangar, or folded gently onto top of my carry-on if in Y. I'm very comfortable in a good shirt and a pair of lined trousers - even when travelling in the Middle East. I keep the 100% cotton comfort wear for the restaurants and bars at the other end of the flight.

And I enjoy it.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm happy that this whole suit wearing thing is a dying trend. Here in Nanning, people actually wear shorts to business meetings. Why? Because it's insanely hot.

The only city I frequent in which suits are still the norm is HK, but even those guys are starting to come around. While I won't go into a meeting with GS in shorts, I have no problem with jeans.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:50 am

Dress for comfort, sez I:

"Cruising" (1980)

Last edited by uszkanni; Sep 1, 2013 at 2:22 am
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Talking I'm with you!!!!

Originally Posted by Lockz
I wore a new suit home to surprise my girlfriend (at the time) that I was coming home from a month-long trip a few days early. It was tough, but CX F helped so I could hang it up, and showers at HKG and JFK along with an overnight in SFO meant I could take it off and wash up a bit. It was all worth it in the end, and I didn't have to worry about packing it.
I love suits. If hubby has been away and comes home in a suit he is helped out of it PRONTO!!!
Old Sep 1, 2013, 5:56 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...r-flights.html
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It's about sending a message. There are times when it does not do to look like an unmade bed upon arrival. Walk off an overnight flight wearing a suit and looking ready for business usually sends a message that you are someone not to be trifled with.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
If you're not coming directly from work, or headed to work straight from the airport upon landing, then I think it's kind of pathetic. What sort of desperately insecure tryhard wants to wear a suit to "send a message" to a bunch of strangers on an airliner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.