Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wearing suits in business class?

Old Mar 13, 13, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Plat (cc)

If you do it, why do you do it? Isn't it uncomfortable?
Old Mar 13, 13, 12:54 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Never.
Old Mar 13, 13, 12:57 am

I'm guessing the main reasons would be the person either just finished a meeting of some sort shortly before departure or will be attending a meeting of some sort shortly after arrival.
Old Mar 13, 13, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HomoEconomicus View Post
I'm guessing the main reasons would be the person either just finished a meeting of some sort shortly before departure or will be attending a meeting of some sort shortly after arrival.
I was having this discussion with a friend about a trip from Houston to Perth. The airline offered pajamas to change into with kangaroos on them. The people in their suits did not change out. I just figured it must be uncomfortable. I mean, after a flight it's generally check in time at the hotel for the people I work with, so there really seems to be no reason to be in a suit. I was just curious, just like I am curious about why people wear their suits in the concierge lounges of hotels, and those who wear suits in bars.
Old Mar 13, 13, 1:39 am
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

They hang your jacket for you anyway. After that, it is just trousers and shirt, like most others. And, wool is very comfortable to travel in.
Old Mar 13, 13, 4:05 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Some people are just naturally formal. I would only do this if it were absolutely necessary but I know men who almost never go out without a tie.
Old Mar 13, 13, 4:09 am

It is very common in Africa for passengers (in both Business and Economy) to keep their full suits on (including jackets and waistcoats), even when sleeping on overnight flights.
Old Mar 13, 13, 10:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
For non-overseas flights, wearing the suit on board means you don't have to go through the hassle of packing a suit. Packing a suit will generally mean (and yeah I know there are exceptions) checking bags. If you can avoid it by wearing a suit, why wouldn't you?

Going overseas, I suspect it is more a matter of choice. Some people like to look polished and presentable at all times. I don't even think there is any kind of sacrifice of comfort... a well tailored suit is very comfortable to wear. I guess not everyone rushes out to put on a t-shirt and jeans at the first possible opportunity.
Old Mar 13, 13, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by heraclitus View Post
a well tailored suit is very comfortable to wear.
This. Because I spend a good portion of my day working, when I buy business clothes, comfort is a requirement (and yes you can be comfortable and not be casual). Why buy something that you are going to be wearing 16 to 18 hours a day if you will be uncomfortable in it?
Old Mar 13, 13, 10:39 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pooker View Post
A well-made tailored suit is not an uncomfortable garment to wear. The main issue I would have with wearing one is it's too warm, as I usually just travel in shirtsleeves but, as others have said, they'll often hang up your jacket.

I usually try to avoid wearing a tie in flight as I pretty much spill something on it in-flight.

All academic for me anyway, as I'm always in Y
Old Mar 13, 13, 10:41 am

PS There's also a good video here that helps explain it -

http://vimeo.com/37855064
Old Mar 13, 13, 10:51 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It would be no more uncomfortable than any other pants I would wear, since I won't travel in sweats or gym shorts.

It is also by far the easiest way to keep the suit from getting wrinkled.
Old Mar 13, 13, 11:01 am

...for me the biggest question is not how people fly in suits, but how they wear them in muggy hot climates. Boggles my mind that people can wear suits in the summer in places like NYC, Chicago and DC, and how it was done in the "Mad Men" days when AC was much less common.
Old Mar 13, 13, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was having this discussion with a friend about a trip from Houston to Perth. The airline offered pajamas to change into with kangaroos on them. The people in their suits did not change out. I just figured it must be uncomfortable. I mean, after a flight it's generally check in time at the hotel for the people I work with, so there really seems to be no reason to be in a suit. I was just curious, just like I am curious about why people wear their suits in the concierge lounges of hotels, and those who wear suits in bars.
I can't imagine my father ever changing into PJs on a flight - he just wouldn't entertain the idea. He frequently travels in suits, but I think his last flight to Australia saw him in tailored trousers, shirt and sports coat rather than 3 piece. He doesn't own a pair of jeans. If he goes out for dinner, he will wear a jacket and tie, if we go for a curry, we *may* convince him to wear trousers, shirt, tie and a v-neck jumper, but I wouldn't hold my breath. A concierge lounge or bar, he'd be in a suit, no question. He's comfortable and presentable, so who cares (aside from my mother who spends many hours ironing the shirts etc!)
Old Mar 13, 13, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gglave View Post
A well-made tailored suit is not an uncomfortable garment to wear. The main issue I would have with wearing one is it's too warm, as I usually just travel in shirtsleeves but, as others have said, they'll often hang up your jacket.

I usually try to avoid wearing a tie in flight as I pretty much spill something on it in-flight.

All academic for me anyway, as I'm always in Y
Like a poster mentioned above, the humidity and hot climates is what would make it uncomfortable. I don't get any of my clothes tailored though, so I am unsure of how they would be just as comfortable as shorts.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: