Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do your really care what city or physical feature is outside the aircraft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do your really care what city or physical feature is outside the aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:07 am
Suspended

I will have a good long look if we are somewhere interesting, but for the most part I fly the same routes and have seen it all a thousand times.

I also tend to get motion sick if I look out the window during take off or landing in the daytime. Night is not so bad.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by Salmontes
Awesome,I am sure I will boo this trip just to see the landscape.
Booooo! Bad trip!!! Booooo!!!!!!

Who knew a little old k was so important......

On topic, I love to look out the window, even if there is nothing more than the geometric shapes of the American Midwest.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:10 pm

Unfortunately I don't actually do much flying, but when I do get on a plane, I don't really care what is out the window... whatever it is, I'm looking at it intently, wondering what I'm seeing and what's going on below me. I can't get enough of the view from the air, no matter how boring the landscape may seem to others.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:40 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Does not matter where I am headed and when (night or day). Always a window. The neck hurts, but no way I am giving up. The only time I turn the screen on is to check the map. ICE on Emirates is wasted on me.

There is something to be said about gazing at a map in your living room and going, "ah, I remember that."
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
I prefer the art on planes, but that one night flight IAD-BOS on July 4 was mighty impressive.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
I love looking outside the aircraft. At least on shorter flights, I try to pick a window seat on the opposite side of the sun so I don't have to lower the shade.

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
LAX has a terminal for American Eagle that you can only get to by riding a bus from the regular terminals' air side, so you're amongst all the planes taking off and landing. You're way closer, with way bigger windows, than anywhere else, when a 747 or A380 or whatever comes in for a landing right next to you.

99% of the people on the bus don't even notice LOL.
For a similar reason I like the people mover at IAD, which many people seem to hate. You can't see landing but you pass right behind parked aircraft at a very high eye level. IME, quite a few people do seem to notice this.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:27 pm

Anything on the East coast I only look out the Window at the beginning and end of the flight to plane spot. Anything international, coastal, or transcon I look out the window. I brought my DSLR for my latest transcon and got pics of the Rockies, Grand Canyon, + some amazing planes. Most beautiful flight. Window seats are so under-appreciated.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:46 pm

I only take a couple flights a year so for me I like looking out at what's below. I usually book a window seat so I can look out and take pictures. Oddly enough I'm normally not a fan of heights but being at 30k looking down at the ground doesn't bug me at all.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:31 am

I think it depends where I'm flying. I remember some incredible views when flying to YVR. Also when flying into major cities at night. Seen some great views when flying into ORD, JFK, and the old HKG. But nowadays, flying long haul in a window seat isn't worth it, unless I'm in J.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I always try to get a window seat -- to stare out the window and look at the scenery until I fall asleep!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by jamescho
Also when flying into major cities at night. Seen some great views when flying into ORD
I actually arrived and took off at night to & from ORD,arriving was on thursday night and all the snow capped homes seems really cool to see,left last night and no snow but lovely lights all over. Great View
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:51 pm

Figuring out what and where is below helps me keep my bearings and orientation.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
I love looking out the window. Some of my favorite memories including seeing Greenland on a flight from Chicago-Brussels, flying over the Rockies, Sunset over the Ozark's and flying over the Grand Canyon from Chicago-LA.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: Independent
One of the last things I check before leaving for the airport is Flightaware, to look at the past few day's flights. I use that as a rough gauge of where my flight might go, so I can choose whether to get a left side or right side seat.

It's not just looking at the ground for me, though. I can be just as fascinated by the clouds. One of my favorites is late summer/early fall flights out of Atlanta transcon in the evenings. Giant thunderheads with iridescent shimmers of last light, brought to life with purple streaks of lightning. Mesmerizing - it is worth the flight just for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.