Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do your really care what city or physical feature is outside the aircraft?

Old Mar 5, 13, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Airplanes fly over some really interesting places and if the conditions are right there are some really great views of some remarkable places. But MOST people don't seem to care where they are. They are only concerned how much longer they will be on the plane.

I have flown all over the world and noticed there are few people looking out the window even when the weather is crystal clear and the flight is flying over some really interesting places.

On the way to China we flew over the polar regions, Siberia, over mountains 20,000 feet high, and over exotic places that it is almost impossible to visit. I looked out my window facinated and wondering what was going on below in the exotic isolated small community in Siberia below. But I looked around, no one else seemed to care.

Why not?
Old Mar 5, 13, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I think if you do a search on window shades, you will find plenty of people who like to look out the window, and just as many who don't.
Old Mar 5, 13, 6:39 pm

LAX has a terminal for American Eagle that you can only get to by riding a bus from the regular terminals' air side, so you're amongst all the planes taking off and landing. You're way closer, with way bigger windows, than anywhere else, when a 747 or A380 or whatever comes in for a landing right next to you.

99% of the people on the bus don't even notice LOL.
Old Mar 5, 13, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by librarygal View Post
Why not?
People take advantage of the opportunity,me personally I love sitting window and observing all that is available to see.

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf View Post
99% of the people on the bus don't even notice LOL.
That is just sad. I would love to see that as close as possible.
Old Mar 5, 13, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond, SPG Platinum

I am always torn between window seats for this exact reason and aisle seats for ease of taking a bathroom break.
Old Mar 5, 13, 8:09 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by librarygal View Post
Airplanes fly over some really interesting places and if the conditions are right there are some really great views of some remarkable places. But MOST people don't seem to care where they are. They are only concerned how much longer they will be on the plane.

I have flown all over the world and noticed there are few people looking out the window even when the weather is crystal clear and the flight is flying over some really interesting places.

On the way to China we flew over the polar regions, Siberia, over mountains 20,000 feet high, and over exotic places that it is almost impossible to visit. I looked out my window facinated and wondering what was going on below in the exotic isolated small community in Siberia below. But I looked around, no one else seemed to care.

Why not?
On a recent EWR-HKG flight, I focused on the moving map because based on the shape of upcoming bodies of water, I expected us to fly right over Lake Baikal. I ran to the emergency exit window in one of the galleys, and sure enough, it appeared, in its frozen glory.
Old Mar 5, 13, 8:59 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I don't really care looking out of the dirty and often scratched small window.
Unless they make the airplane window the size of regular automobile window and keep it very clean, I'd rather watch the beautiful scenery on TV and if I'm interested, I'd try to visit the place.
Old Mar 5, 13, 9:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 8rulos View Post
I am always torn between window seats for this exact reason and aisle seats for ease of taking a bathroom break.
+1

But if the flight is <3 hours, I will usually get a window seat and often on a northwest-heading flight my laptop's embedded GPS easily picks up a signal and so I can watch the scenery and know exactly where I am

I particularly love LAX-DEN flights that transit the Grand Canyon/Capitol Reef/Four Corners area. Can never get enough of watching what's below.
Old Mar 6, 13, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
I particularly love LAX-DEN flights that transit the Grand Canyon/Capitol Reef/Four Corners area. Can never get enough of watching what's below.
Awesome,I am sure I will boo this trip just to see the landscape.
Old Mar 6, 13, 12:29 am

I do this lots. I remember flying from Marrakech to Paris and seeing the strait with Europe on one side and Africa on the other. I thought it was so great to see and rather interesting so I told my travel partner but he didn't even look.
Old Mar 6, 13, 5:43 am

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
I'd be more likely to get a window seat (and actually look out the window) if I know there'll be something interesting to look at. Flying into EWR, for example, I know there is a good chance of a landing from the north and great views of Manhattan from the left side of the plane. On a long haul across Asia, usually at night, not so much.
Old Mar 6, 13, 6:35 am

Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
Originally Posted by KurtOlsson View Post
I'd be more likely to get a window seat (and actually look out the window) if I know there'll be something interesting to look at. Flying into EWR, for example, I know there is a good chance of a landing from the north and great views of Manhattan from the left side of the plane. On a long haul across Asia, usually at night, not so much.
+1

Flying into LGA also affords a great view of Manhattan from the left side.
Old Mar 6, 13, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA Gold, DL Silver
I definitely select a window seat just to see the world outside. Beyond the spectacular views of some places not often reached, seeing the clouds from the other side is captivating to me. Such a small percentage of the human population has ever had the opportunity, and I have the chance to do it a few times every month.

And I’m one of those that keeps my shade open unless its sleeping hours. I’m certainly not heartless, but if it’s daylight out and typical waking hours at origin and destination…that shade is open. Even if it is flying over the vast expanse of eastern Russia at night.
Old Mar 6, 13, 8:53 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For those with iPhones/iPads, the WindowSeat app can be helpful, although the iPad app has more detail.
Old Mar 6, 13, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
For those with iPhones/iPads, the WindowSeat app can be helpful, although the iPad app has more detail.
Thanks,downloading it now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: