Luggage pilfered and airline asking for original receipts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage pilfered and airline asking for original receipts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:13 am
Original Poster

So I just got off the phone and talked to Finnair "customer service" but not specifically to those in charge of claims, rather just a general customer service.

The clerk told me that Finnair requests original receipts as they prevent like this the customer doing the same "claim" with another airline.

It's pretty pointless anyway as there are other airlines that for sure do NOT request original receipts? So you could be just doing a copy and saving.

I was told that I can still send my claim and copies of receipts but he cannot guarantee that they will accept my claim.

So the question is, what to do? (I need original copies for my tax return, as all things I buy, I do through my company)
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Send off the copies! Understanding that getting items notarized is potentially an expensive proposition, as someone mentioned above, credit unions often notarize for free, so that’s an option.

Send ‘em off and see if it works. They provided an avenue that might work, and since I assume you don’t have a history of claims with FinnAir, I would say it would be worth your time. If it doesn’t work, then we can cross that bridge when we come to it as the clich goes.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMFlagg
Send off the copies! Understanding that getting items notarized is potentially an expensive proposition, as someone mentioned above, credit unions often notarize for free, so thats an option.

Send em off and see if it works. They provided an avenue that might work, and since I assume you dont have a history of claims with FinnAir, I would say it would be worth your time. If it doesnt work, then we can cross that bridge when we come to it as the clich goes.

Hey, thanks for the reply.
I will tomorrow. I also wrote a letter explaining the reason for not sending the original receipts and at the same time I told them that if any problems or any sort of impediments with regard to my claim due to this, I will take further legal action if necessary, and I mean this. I had invested for the first time in a very expensive parka worth 900 EUR for the terrible weather in Scandinavia + two pair of shoes that are not that cheap either, all this was missing from my suitcase.. and imagine.. All was fresh, purchased in mid 2012 so it was a huge loss for me.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by captainbligh
I suppose yes. But what if they do not agree? What else can I do...
My last international trip, I took photo of bag contents as is before I closed it up. Never had to use that pic but with camera phones today I document as much as I can to protect me. I try to be creative with what I think could be important and snap away.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
My last international trip, I took photo of bag contents as is before I closed it up. Never had to use that pic but with camera phones today I document as much as I can to protect me. I try to be creative with what I think could be important and snap away.
Have you ever used these pictures with positive results when making any kind of claim? I have never had any claim with Finnair nor any other airline so far.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:29 pm

Just send them what you have, copies or otherwise. They will take a common sense approach and reimburse what is properly documented, whether or not the exact letter of the policy is adhered to.

The policy has to be written the way it is because of the humongous level of baggage claim fraud. A legitimate case will usually be settled pretty quickly.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
This is off-thread slightly, but let's face it, stuff is being stolen out of suitcases left and right. I think it is probably best not to pack expensive items in a checked bag. And yes, I know that sometimes there is no choice.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Now I just got off the phone once again and they are telling me "we can return the receipts to you if you need them after the claim is settled".

But ok, I send them, they can get lost in transit or anything can happen, no matter whether registered letter or not, the same way for the return on their part, can get lost as well.

I am still thinking what to do...
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by captainbligh

I am still thinking what to do...
Stop thinking and send them what you have. Sign all copies and include a signed letter that you certify these as originals.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Who keeps receipts for clothing and standard items that would go in a suitcase? The only receipts I keep are for appliances and other items that have warranties.

Keeping all receipts would mean my house would soon be overrun with paper.

What a ridiculous requirement.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Who keeps receipts for clothing and standard items that would go in a suitcase? The only receipts I keep are for appliances and other items that have warranties.

Keeping all receipts would mean my house would soon be overrun with paper.

What a ridiculous requirement.
I think the OP lives in the UK (but I may be wrong), where it is customary to be able to deduct the cost of business clothing as an expense. I'm guessing the government requires original receipts.

I don't have any receipts at all for my purchases, but then again, I'm not trying to write them off as expenses for tax purposes.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
I think the OP lives in the UK (but I may be wrong), where it is customary to be able to deduct the cost of business clothing as an expense. I'm guessing the government requires original receipts.

I don't have any receipts at all for my purchases, but then again, I'm not trying to write them off as expenses for tax purposes.
OK...so if, as an American, I flew on Finn Air and they lost my luggage, would I still run into this requirement?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Tomorrow I guess I will be sending the copies, not original, as I am just afraid they will get lost in transit and then that's it. I already registered them for tax deduction too. In my opinion it's ridiculous that I have to prove on my part or play these kind of games with the airline almost like "begging" them to accept copies.

I do not live in the UK but for the kind of jacket I had (for example) we are able to deduct tax on it, as it was used for extreme cold weather, and due to my job being outside most of the time it was truly needed. The shoes too, not the regular shoes you would go out with.

The funny thing is that the first person I talked with from Finnair told me: "we need the original receipts as this would prevent a double claim with another airline or insurance company simultaneously, so we'll keep them"

Now they are telling me: "Yes, we can give them back to you if you need them, we don't need to keep them" -. So my question is, why do you need them? It seems very controversial.

Maybe they don't trust their customers with copies of receipts and they want to touch the real thing? Even a well made copy could end up looking just like the real thing nowadays, who knows. Now if they want to call the stores the items were purchased from, it would be easier and they could confirm prices and receipts do match the records.

The rule they have is that they request receipts for anything you say was lost. Now, that they request YOUR original copies and don't want to accept scans and printed copies, is something rather intrusive.

So Delta Hog, yes, regardless where you are from, they'll want receipts.

Just a huge hassle to "beg" them "hey please accept my copies". Otherwise you fear having your claim rejected. All a bad practice in my opinion. Maybe it's just a common practice nowadays on their part so that people "give up" and don't bother further trying to get compensation, even if they are entitled to.

I don't know what else airline regulations and all those international conventions state, but if they reject my claim I will have to talk a little bit to a lawyer, maybe he could add some pressure.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
There is a website where you can make up fake receipts. This isn't the crime of the year, just make some up and submit them. Might as well.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
There is a website where you can make up fake receipts. This isn't the crime of the year, just make some up and submit them. Might as well.
This is out of the question, not something for me. And they would be copies too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.