Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Top 3 Travel Rituals

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:18 am

Programs: United, HH Gold, SW, AA, SPG, Hyatt, Hawaiian
Thumbs up

I used to take my copy of The Economist every time, flying was my only available time to read it. I don't travel as much anymore so I cancelled the subscription and always carry my Kindle with me now

Originally Posted by StreetSmartTraveler
I've got more than 3, but oh well:

--Print out reservations for flight, accommodation, AND directions for how to get from the airport into town on arrival. The last one is easy to forget, since sometimes that's not in the confirmations automatically e-mailed to me. I like low-cost public transportation to get into the city center. I avoid taking taxis unless it's absolutely necessary and/or cheap.

--I also get a marker and highlight the reservation number/booking ID/whatever on each confirmation document so the check-in agent can see it faster.

--Check money belt for passport, credit/ATM cards, etc. Then check 2 more times because I'm convinced I forgot something important.

--Eat a meal before getting on the plane, preferably before I get into the airport if possible. Worst feeling is being stuck at an airport or on a plane and there's nothing I want to eat.

--Buy a copy of The Economist at the airport and read it on the plane. My favorite magazine in the world.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:21 am

Programs: United, HH Gold, SW, AA, SPG, Hyatt, Hawaiian
Wink

My three are:

1. Double check for chargers, passport, CC with min spend pending, enough undies and kindle

2. Finish packing at the last possible minute and forget quite a few necessities (not really a ritual but more of a bad habit)

3. Look out while plane lifts, anticipate and smile, absolutely LOVE the feeling in my tummy during takeoff. The first time I flew I knew I wanted to do it again!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:51 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
As noted in the OCD thread:

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Before a trip, I arrange all my hotel/air/car/etc. papers in order in the ticket jacket, front-to-back, in chronological order.

The first thing I do when I get on the plane is move that boarding pass stub to the back. Same with hotel confirmations, etc.

There is an OCD feeling of completeness on the final leg when the contents of the ticket jacket are once again in the original order.
Which is why I'm always looking for more such jackets
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:52 pm

High-five for Economist readers! Same here, flying is the only time that's distraction-free enough to read The Economist from cover to cover.

Originally Posted by cathag
I used to take my copy of The Economist every time, flying was my only available time to read it. I don't travel as much anymore so I cancelled the subscription and always carry my Kindle with me now
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: SW, UA, UR
I wanna get in on this Economist bandwagon....
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Topgoose12
I wanna get in on this Economist bandwagon....
This.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:24 pm

1. Put on my earphones to either listen to a language learning course or audiobook
2. Take a nap depending on travel time
3. Get a cup of orange juice
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:11 am

I didn't think I had any until I took a road trip with 5 friends last weekend and they called me out on it:

1). Clipping curtains closed with pants hanger
2) Used a fan from home as white noise
3). Used extra pillows to block light and noise under the door
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
High-five for Economist readers! Same here, flying is the only time that's distraction-free enough to read The Economist from cover to cover.

+1 with the Economist! Love the ipad app!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, BA
1.) Download a good book or two on my Kindle
2.) Check, double check, and recheck that I have my passport
3.) Drink ginger ale on the plane - the only time I ever have it is when I am traveling. For some reason it just seems wrong on the ground
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your Top 3 Travel Rituals

1: Gin and Tonic in lounge
2: Champagne pre departure
3: Amaretto after dinner

If in coach I disregard steps 2 and 3 and amend step 1 to four or five G&T's in lounge
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, DL Silver, Avis First, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
1. Make sure all confirmations for car/hotel/flight are sync'd to iphone & laptop
2. Park in the same parking area at airport
3. Try to book the same seat on every flight (I'm dyslexic - nothing worse than sitting in the wrong seat, or the gate # is the seat or thinking the seat doesn't match the ticket)
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: AC*SE, Marco Polo Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold
1) Keeping adapters, cables, spare currencies, NEXUS card, floss picks, earbuds, etc in a couple of old zippered amenity kits means they are first into the pod/seatback on arrival, then the bag goes overhead.

2) +1 for the obsessive patting on the passport

3)
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
1: Gin and Tonic in lounge
2: Champagne pre departure
3: Amaretto after dinner

If in coach I disregard steps 2 and 3 and amend step 1 to four or five G&T's in lounge
Minimal wine with dinner, excessive port afterwards. But pre-drinking's been a great fallback plan since... forever
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Obsessively check and recheck that I have iphone/passports/boarding pass until seated on board.

Always wear cashmere hoodie and have merino wrap. If a blanket is available I roll it up and put it behind my back as lumbar support.

Hold Mrbzb's hand during takeoff and grin at each other... we both still love flying (just not the getting through the airport)
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Indeed! Was thinking exactly the same few minutes ago disembarking in MUC.
Digesting whole Economist it's an "isolation from the world" thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.