Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sequester cuts: effects on travel.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Laylla
I fly the CHS-IAD route frequently, and United used to have several flights a day. Now there is only 2 per day. This decrease in the routing happened at the first of the year, when the sequester was supposed to happen. Most of this route is travelled by SPAWAR employees and the government employees that work on the SPAWAR contracts. SPAWAR has all but quit traveling over the sequester debaucle and this has of course continued since the delay to March 1.
This.

I'm a DoD contractor, and my program (an Army program) implemented severe travel restrictions in late January in response to guidance from the Secretary and Chief of Staff of the Army. At that time I had to cancel two (nonrefundable) tickets for upcoming trips, one of them set to begin in three days' time.

Excerpt:
"Curtail temporary duties and professional training that are not mission-critical, such as attendance at or hosting of conferences, staff assistance visits and training seminars. Exceptions may be made for mission-critical activities, including those required to maintain profession licensure or equivalent certifications, and preparation for assumption of command."

"Temporary duties" means "travel." It's tough for a geographically dispersed R&D program like ours, where travel to our sites ("staff assistance visits") is such an important part of our operation.

OSD, Navy, and Air Force have released similar guidance.

On the bright side for you, there are probably significantly fewer DoD travelers competing for upgrades these days.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki
have not seen anyone mention this so far.

These across-the-board cuts may punish travelers with flight delays, long security lines at Transportation Security Agency checkpoints and multi-hour waits to clear Customs and Border Protection

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...-cuts/1930967/
oh I thought this was for defense contractors who are cutting back travel to save cash
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
An actual news account of possible effects on a small airport here:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...79/0/FRONTPAGE

I'll be flying to this airport on 3/2. We'll see how it goes!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Fly So Free
My understanding is that any Gov employee which would face a furlough is required to be given four weeks notice, thus you would be looking at early April instead of early March.
The earliest the furloughs would happen is April 22nd. And it's not one day a pay period, it's one day a week for 22 weeks.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Travel opportunities after sequestration?

I wonder if there has been a falling off of advance air reservations for after sequestration? If so, the airlines might resort to more "sales" to get back some business. If sequestration happens I doubt that furlough induced cancellations and delays would kick in before mid April.
Your thoughts please.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this topic doesn't focus specifically on MR's but rather the larger travel industry I'll move it over to TravelBuzz for further discussion.

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:34 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
And now merged with the existing thread on this topic...thanks! /Moderator
Old Apr 18, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
FAA: Sequester to Have Major Impact at Largest Airports

This is not going to be fun. My flying is increasing this month and next.

FAA: Sequester to Have Major Impact at Largest Airports
The cuts in federal spending resulting from the sequester will result in air traffic controller furloughs starting Sunday that will impact thousands of flights a day, according to officials at the Federal Aviation Administration.

The FAA has prepared a plan under which FAA employees will be required to take off one day per 10 work days without pay. ...
Old Apr 18, 2013, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WSJ
Under the FAA plan, seven major airports will require daily ground-delay programs affecting about 3,800 flights, according to the memo. Those airports, some of the busiest or most congested in the country, include Newark Liberty International, John F. Kennedy International and La Guardia in New York, Chicago's O'Hare International, and Los Angeles International, the memo said.

Six other big airports "likely" will require daily traffic management initiatives affecting about 2,900 daily flights, the FAA told the airlines, according to the memo. Those airports include Atlanta, Philadelphia, Miami and San Francisco. Traffic management generally means slowing the flow of traffic so air-traffic controllers don't get overwhelmed.

The staffing furloughs will result in capacity reductions of varying degrees, the memo said. For instance, the rate of arriving planes at Newark will drop to 38 per hour from 48, a 21% reduction. O'Hare's arrival rate will drop to 72 planes per hour from 112, a 36% reduction. Los Angeles arrivals will decline to 48 an hour from 80, a 40% cut.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...554278842.html
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG
Now we are a banana republic
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
FAA / Sequester delays - How does it look out there?

According to the WSJ, furloughs were supposed to begin today for ATC. I avoided flying this week intentionally, but I'd like to start hearing from folks what it looks like out there. This seems like a better place to get first hand info than the media.

I used the Mobiata FlightBoard app to look at several airports, and I did indeed see more ATC delays than normal, although a majority of flights were still departing ontime. What does it look like out there on the battlefield?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:15 pm

I can tell you that a friend who is headed back on BA to LHR from LAX tells me via email that her flight has been delayed. She didn't say for how long or the "reasons why".
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
aa lga-dfw on time this am.....daughter got her ug....life is good!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold

The two flights I did yesterday were both delayed by about 30-40 minutes each time.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC

Waiting for flight from LAS to DFW. Still shows on-time, no major delays that I can see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.