Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sequester cuts: effects on travel.

Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

have not seen anyone mention this so far.

These across-the-board cuts may punish travelers with flight delays, long security lines at Transportation Security Agency checkpoints and multi-hour waits to clear Customs and Border Protection

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...-cuts/1930967/
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by slawecki
have not seen anyone mention this so far.
This thread over in TS&S, starting at post 16 (for the current threat of sequestration).

We can only hope this comes to pass
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
This thread over in TS&S, starting at post 16 (for the current threat of sequestration).

We can only hope this comes to pass

that thread is just a bunch of .....ie people who think there should be no inspections(at least for them).

this sequester thing is going to be a catastrophe for all usa airline passengers.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:58 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
that thread is just a bunch of .....ie people who think there should be no inspections(at least for them).
Free-associating today, are we? I seriously doubt you can provide any evidence for your hypothesis.

this sequester thing is going to be a catastrophe for all usa airline passengers.
Rubbish. Like your previous statement, you have absolutely no evidence to back up your forecast of disaster.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
that thread is just a bunch of .....
People with common sense?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Its not the budget cuts that will cause impacts on travel but rather arrogance on the part of government brass that might.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:56 pm

I fly the CHS-IAD route frequently, and United used to have several flights a day. Now there is only 2 per day. This decrease in the routing happened at the first of the year, when the sequester was supposed to happen. Most of this route is travelled by SPAWAR employees and the government employees that work on the SPAWAR contracts. SPAWAR has all but quit traveling over the sequester debaucle and this has of course continued since the delay to March 1.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Sequester! What are UA's plans? Rule Exceptions?

NOTE: This was moved by moderators from the UA forum.

From Reuters:
U.S. air travel delays loom after sequester: LaHood.

An excerpt:
"Flights to major cities like New York, Chicago and San Francisco and others could experience delays of up to 90 minutes during peak hours," he told reporters at the White House. "Delays in these major airports will ripple across the country."
He also mentioned that air traffic control towers in smaller airports, like that in San Marcos, TX and Hilton Head, SC would have to close.

If the sequestration happens it will begin Friday, March 1.

I've got a LAX-EWR-BDL itinerary scheduled for March 2. Didn't think about this when booking. Will UA be making change/cancellation rule exceptions should this thing actually happens?

Last edited by Oakshadow; Feb 22, 2013 at 5:46 pm Reason: sp
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Much of the concern is about TSA processing delays.

However, for most of the government cutbacks they will not occur for a number of weeks or months after the March 1 date. There is required notification times to the unions for cutbacks. Doubt you will notice anything on 2 March.

Lots of posturing occurring. (without venturing too much into OMNI territory, it would be nice if the leadership folks in DC would get the job done)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 2013 at 1:35 pm Reason: OMNI thought
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
I thought I read an article a while back, that it also would impact air traffic controllers ?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Much of the concern is about TSA processing delays.

However, for most of the government cutbacks there will not occur for a number of weeks or months after the march 1 date. There is required notification times to the unions for cutbacks
Ray LaHood: Cuts a calamity for air travel

It seems he's talking about FAA staff across the board and he specifically mentioned ATC and airport maintenance being heavily effected. Didn't say anything about TSA.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
My own opinion is Lahood is just posturing for the administrations budget position, "we cant afford to cut" basically employing fear tactics. I'm not implying they wouldn't cut anything - but I am willing to bet if sequester happens, you won't notice any difference in your flying. The govt is now professional at using the press to push/influence an agenda. Its kinda sad really, but i dont think people use basic logic skills to critically think through what is said. remember the old adage "dont believe everything you see on
tv (or the internet or the news) Granted, it's just my opinion but IMHO there is SOOO much govt waste...I hope they do cut a bunch of plastic badge Barney fife TSA, the ones who are power tripping and making life difficult for law abiding citizens.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Ray LaHood: Cuts a calamity for air travel

It seems he's talking about FAA staff across the board and he specifically mentioned ATC and airport maintenance being heavily effected. Didn't say anything about TSA.
TSA is in Dept of Homeland Security (DHS), not Dept of Trans, LaHood's domain.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA G
Like every other airline, they will wait and see if this thing actually happens. If it all goes to heck, they'll deal with it then.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B146 Safari/8536.25)

Because if Obama said it, it must be true!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.