Worst destination you have visited

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst destination you have visited

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by lamphs
I've always found something to see or something to eat. I generally refuse to hang out in the hotel room. For the first time in many many years, I stayed in the hotel room one afternoon in Jeddah (early 2023) because it was just too hot out. I find airports and train stations fascinating, no matter the condition (although I don't think I've ever been to a train station where I wasn't extra cautious with my belongings). I am also a walker and can walk for miles - walking provides such a different perspective. I practice situational awareness and am generally aware of my surroundings to hopefully avoid doing something stupid.
I did leave the airport and Jeddah and walked around (not for a whole night). It was unbelievably hot, and i had just arrived from the tropics. In hindsight I wish I had remained in the airport. A first for me. Also, I didn't use a taxi app and have never been so ripped off by taxi drivers in my life. A very expensive visa too.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I was in a foreign studies program in Quito in college. Though I have been back, it's been quite a few years. I can't imagine that things in Quito or Lima have deteriorated to the extent that either would be mentioned in a thread about a worst destination. Now, that said, there are a few stops on the bus between the two cities that might qualify.

BTW, I thought the food in Lima was excellent.
So, no sooner did I post this and things go bonkers in Ecuador!
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
I did leave the airport and Jeddah and walked around (not for a whole night). It was unbelievably hot, and i had just arrived from the tropics. In hindsight I wish I had remained in the airport. A first for me. Also, I didn't use a taxi app and have never been so ripped off by taxi drivers in my life. A very expensive visa too.
I quite like Jeddah; it has an underrated food scene, Al-Balad (the old town) was cool, plus jet-skiing on the Red Sea was refreshing.

However, it's just another barely walkable metropolis in which I've actually probably walked more than most others. Just like walking, is all.

While there in 2017, I was bewitched by my compound, and exiting said compound.
Inside, the layout was akin to a cookie-cutter 1960s U.S. suburb. But once that gate opened-- sand, dust, and no sidewalks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.