Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best and Worst Airports you have been to (Overall Experience)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best and Worst Airports you have been to (Overall Experience)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Koh Samui has to be near the top of any "best" list.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:23 pm

It's all relative. And of course it depends on what terminal you are in at any specific airport. If you are in Terminal 5 at Heathrow it is awesome, the rest, not so much. If you are in Terminal 2 at SFO, amazing. The rest, yeah, no. In Madrid, the newest terminal is gorgeous. The others, not really. When we were in Budapest we went into one terminal in which we felt like we were transported back to the 1800s, then left out of a different one that was pretty good. Just depends.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by worldiswide
+1

Best. HKG and ICN And I know this is not a majority opinion LHR. Crowded and old but chock full of everything travelers need. Transportation lounges shopping dining

Worst. CDG
I'm with you on LHR, if I had a stopover of a few hours then it would probably be my #1 choice in Europe. As you mentioned, lounges, shopping, dining (good pubs), etc.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by caveruner17
MUC was pretty awesome - had a Christkindlmarkt on airport grounds, plus public transit was pretty awesome.

ZRH was annoying with the international terminal being a frigging long walk and tram ride away. Super clean, yes, but mighty confusing.
^ on the love for MUC. Any airport that has its own brewery is a nice place to visit

Not a fan of CDG.
Not a fan of PEK.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by aster
I'm with you on LHR, if I had a stopover of a few hours then it would probably be my #1 choice in Europe. As you mentioned, lounges, shopping, dining (good pubs), etc.

Glad to see there are at least a couple of us. I always have a shopping list for Lhr. Some of the prices really are better than high street. Jo Malone for instance. Even the connections between terminals have improved. If only ther was an easy way to transport between terminals later at night when they close the lower level I'd be set.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by aster
LHR has had a bad reputation in the past (much of it deserved!) but T5 is now good as any major terminal in the US or Europe.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: M&M, AAdvantage, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Paris airports. CDG just plain sucks, make no bones about it. Paris-Beauvais (BVA) really isn't too bad (for an ultra-budget Ryanair airport ), but it's so far away and there is no mass transit save for a private shuttle that leaves at certain intervals throughout the day from Porte Maillot. I haven't visited Orly yet, so I can't comment on that one.
Really? I flew out of BVA like in 2007 once (also it was my first time with Ryanair), and it was a surreal experience. It was peak summer time (beginning of August) and literally people could not even fit inside the terminal. It was so cramped... everything was packed from the gates to the entrance of the building itself (and there were not delayed/cancelled flights or anything out of the ordinary). Maybe they got a new terminal, but it was just a horrible experience at that time.

ORY is terrible too.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by eurekaprice
Really? I flew out of BVA like in 2007 once (also it was my first time with Ryanair), and it was a surreal experience. It was peak summer time (beginning of August) and literally people could not even fit inside the terminal. It was so cramped... everything was packed from the gates to the entrance of the building itself (and there were not delayed/cancelled flights or anything out of the ordinary). Maybe they got a new terminal, but it was just a horrible experience at that time.

ORY is terrible too.
I really didn't have a horrid experience; it wasn't too crowded, check-in was efficient, and security moved quickly. Actually, I think I've had worse experiences flying out of MSY and MDW on WN. We caught a morning flight out of Terminal 2, which seemed to be pretty close to brand new. Airside, there were places to sit, a food shop (poor selection, honestly), and a magazine/general shop. I've heard horror stories about BVA, but I really didn't have any of the experiences people warned me about.

It's not an avant-garde international airport, but it'll do just fine for RYANAIR. Unfortunately, my AAdvantage PLT/oneworld Sapphire card couldn't save me from the mob here. The fact that there's no mass transit (save for the Porte Maillot shuttle) is a real bummer. Maybe the fact that I caught a morning flight has something to do with my more positive review; since I flew out so early, maybe my experience wasn't representative of most. I'd fly through BVA again.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm
I'm surprised that CDG doesn't get more "worst" votes. Aside from the dreaded remote busing, the signage is awful and French cabbies can care less whether they drop you off at the correct terminal (personally, I think they enjoy screwing with you).
The best? PBH in Bhutan. Only a single gate and hand written signs. Plus you get to anticipate that amazing vertical take off.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:16 pm
Used to be highman123

Best: SFO (Intl Terminal)

Worst: GOI - the arrivals are ok, but departure is crowded, noisy and cockroaches everywhere, just horrible
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Best: SIN, HKG, NRT, AMS (same picks as everyone else)

Worst:

HKT: Small terminal crammed with rude Chinese and Russian tourists who pretend they can't speak English when they cut you in line and immigration officers asking for bribes.
BOM: The transfer and security here is a joke.
MCT: They have a full-fledged Irish bar with no alcohol at all... Should have read that it's the "Irish Bar Experience"... such a tease, no wonder it is empty all the time.
MNL: Connection nightmare if you're going from T1 -> T2 or vice-versa.

And the worst airport is a tie between JED and DMM... Going through immigration in either of these is the absolute worst and took me 3+ hours standing in line once. I prefer now to fly into BAH and take a car over to DMM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:22 pm

I really don't think there's any need for discussion about what is the worst airport in the world. It has to be BOM - especially for transfers. After two terrible connection experiences there I now will fly any route to avoid it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Breaking the norm here...

Most Interesting: Valdosta, Georgia

why? smallest and quietist airport I've ever been to. They only have 2 - 3 commercial flights per day.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by brp1264
HKT: Small terminal crammed with rude Chinese and Russian tourists who pretend they can't speak English when they cut you in line and immigration officers asking for bribes.
It's small but I've never come across the other issues. Phuket in general has more than its fair share of nasty tourists, maybe I'm just oblivious to them.

I do recall having difficulty finding a place to have a drink there, so it would certainly rate low on my list of airports.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:16 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
It's small but I've never come across the other issues. Phuket in general has more than its fair share of nasty tourists, maybe I'm just oblivious to them.

I do recall having difficulty finding a place to have a drink there, so it would certainly rate low on my list of airports.
Get the lounge club pass and go through security/immigration like a VIP with the Coral Executive Lounge and then enjoy 15 minutes massage. All for free (2 visits per new Chase card). Takes the heat out of HKT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.