Wiki Posts
Search

Coffee in the lavatory?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Coffee in the lavatory?

After millions of miles, I saw something new today.

CLT-LGA on Eagle. After we're in the air, go back to the lav after 1st vodka. Noticed two things. 1st - panel above lav with security seals - makes one wonder whats behind the panel. Then notice that a packet of ground coffee is secured by the baby changing panel. Did do a great job of making the lav environment less objectionable. Asked FA about it and he said it must of have been prior crew and senior FA's do that. Anyone see coffee in the lav before?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Coffee in the lavatory?

Yes many times over the years
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:45 pm

Coffee in the lavatory?

It makes a significant difference. I've used the trick in shoddy hotels too
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Coffee is one if the best deodirizers there is. I smoke & keep a big bowl of it in my den. I've seen it often on aircraft. Makes a big difference
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Really works!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I guess I am not very observant in the loo. Is that a curse or a blessing?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
I don't think the security seals are about protecting something sensitive behind the panels, rather they are place there to know that they've not been tampered with and presumably there are things that need to be checked if the seals are broken.

Not sure the significance of those panels in particular, but I'm curious whether it has to do with where the smoke detecters are located?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sometimes I'll take a cup of coffee and newspaper into the airplane lav if I know I'm going to be in there a while.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Sometimes I'll take a cup of coffee and newspaper into the airplane lav if I know I'm going to be in there a while.
Because that will not attract any attention.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:38 pm

Drinking coffee while doing your business simultaneously. Efficient!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:12 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this topic is not necessarily specific to AA, we'll shift this to TravelBuzz for broader discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, AA and TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Me too but w a nice cigeterrte as well
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
I don't think the security seals are about protecting something sensitive behind the panels, rather they are place there to know that they've not been tampered with and presumably there are things that need to be checked if the seals are broken.

Not sure the significance of those panels in particular, but I'm curious whether it has to do with where the smoke detecters are located?
Ah yes, tamper seals... The great fiasco idea of trying to be 'safe' (depending on how you look at it). These things, in my opinion, are more of a pain for MX due to the fact that they don't stick well to some of the surfaces in the lavs, or are stuck on things that the average traveler would have no clue how to open (or reasonably have the required tools).

Referring to the OP: generally there are 2 panels in the lavatory ceiling (depending on design); one for the smoke detector & PA speaker, and one for the supplemental oxygen (removed). There isn't really a whole lot of room behind the ceiling, and anything that someone might try to hide will most likely slide down the back to the lowest inaccessible point anyway.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
I saw an interesting one last week. The FAs had torn perfume sample strips out of magazines and tucked them into a couple of nooks and crannies in the lav. I think coffee is a better idea, though.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
This is quite common; I've seen it many times in the F lavatory. I always assumed the coffee was placed deliberately by the FAs, not by customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.