Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever instantly fallen in love with a place?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:41 pm

Los Angeles, CA
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Sydney, and to be more specific, The Gap at Watsons Bay. It's unfortunate that place is also infamous for suicide.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: Aero-something
First and foremost…NYC. I too recall being interested as kid by all the 70’s and 80’s era NYC clips I saw on Sesame Street… I’m a downtown guy and I love hustle and bustle everywhere I go so what’s better than NYC? I try to make it there at least once per year

Other places where I’ve fallen in love with almost instantly are…Montreal, Dry Tortugas National Park and Warrenton, VA (even though I love big cities, this little town had a feel to it)

To the folks who fell in love with Ottawa, what was it? I’ve lived here my whole life and I am fond of my city, but by no means in love with it.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Spex
To the folks who fell in love with Ottawa, what was it? I’ve lived here my whole life and I am fond of my city, but by no means in love with it.
For me, I think it was just the relaxed cosmopolitan feel to it - most people who live in Ottawa are inured to the fact that it is in fact a bilingual/bicultural city, with a lot of international flair due to its embassy and student populations.

Also, it's a physically beautiful city that has all the urban basics (decent restaurants and shops, a reasonable transit system, a diverse and tolerant population) but at the same time a lot of open space, parkland, running trails.... and once you get out of the downtown core, you've got nature staring you right in the face!

Another thing is that I find the people to be generally very warm and friendly - when you come from the US, that can be a really nice change
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:29 pm

So many to choose from ... Auckland, several cities in Spain and Norway.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
In no particular order, St. Barts, Vancouver BC, Rio de Janeiro.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
For me, I fell in love with the scenery and vibe of Seattle in the height of both grunge and the tech boom at a very young age in the early-mid 90's - should be no surprise that I ended up here after university, then

Now that I'm here, Sydney and Hong Kong shine a little brighter, and I'd definitely entertain opportunities to live and work in either. I'm not sure I could take the density of Hong Kong for years on end, but I've considered moving to Australia seriously enough to learn the details of the General Skilled Migration scheme. What an amazing city.

There are definitely other cities that have captivated me - Yangon and Tallinn come to mind - but those are more as fascinating destinations to explore than somewhere I'd want to live on an extended basis.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Salzburg, Vancouver and NYC!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:39 am

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Hong Kong and Montreal...
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

I fell in love with Lima ... For some reason. And some small cities surrounding it- sometimes I was the only white guy I would see for days and I absolutely loved it
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:53 am

For me, Maui, Ambergris Caye Belize, Auckland, Venice, Rarotonga Cook Islands
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
As many others have said, New York City blows me away every time. Going there next weekend for the first time in two years, can't wait.
Also Paris, so beautiful and the food is reason enough to go back again and again.
A few less obvious choices: Belfast, great atmosphere and nice pubs.
Glasgow, same as Belfast plus the football (soccer that is for you Yanks).
Stanley, Falkland Islands, so isolated, but the friendliest people I've come across anywhere in the world. And the islands themselves are unbelievably beautiful - plus you get to be the only tourist around.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:57 pm

Minneapolis, while driving around lakes, then Minnehaha Falls, then the huge Mississippi, in the background a modern city skyline.
Suspect I would have felt differently in the winter.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
For me, it's London and Key West. I make a point to go to both regularly. Of course Key West is an easy drive so I end up there more often than London.

My other favorite travel destinations are Montreal, DC, San Diego, and NYC. They didn't click the same way London and KW did though and are all firmly in the "I love visiting but wouldn't want to live there" category.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by realjd
Of course Key West is an easy drive so I end up there more often than London.
...and what a drive it is. Amazing. Where else can you drive to the Caribbean?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.