Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever instantly fallen in love with a place?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever instantly fallen in love with a place?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Question Have you ever instantly fallen in love with a place?

Have you ever travelled to a place and absolutely fallen in love with it to the point that you instantly wanted to move there?

In my life, I've had that reaction to only two places - NYC and (of all places!) Ottawa.

From the first time I went to NYC as a child, I was simply taken by the density and the energy. I even remember being enthralled as a toddler watching a Sesame Street skit about the NYC subway Sadly, after living in NYC for years, I feel like the magic is gone - but for years after I moved here I sometimes felt I would just explode because I loved the city so much.

And my other great urban love was Ottawa. I went for a long weekend in '96 for no other reason than I got a good air fare and figured that at least it was a capital so there would be enough to keep me occupied for a few days. I took a bus from the airport to Byward Market, and on the short walk to my B&B I saw some guy swallowing fire and telling Newfie jokes. A little switch went on inside me and I said to myself, "I think I'm going to like this place." I started going every year and within four years got Canadian residency and moved there, although it didn't last long because I ended up getting a great job opportunity in NYC... sigh... I often think I should have stayed.

Anyone else?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Santa Fe, Alaska, Capri. I'd love to retire with summer/winter homes in the first two, and visit the third periodically.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Montreal. Anyone else who's been there for more than a day or two will understand.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
London. I fell in love in 1992. I've been 100's of times and still love all of it.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Redhead
London. I fell in love in 1992. I've been 100's of times and still love all of it.
Heh - we must have been there at the same time. I went that year after I graduated school to do a six-month work-abroad program, and I absolutely adored it. So I guess I have three cities that I've fallen in love with

I still have a blast when I go. But I think that London now suffers from the same pathology that NYC does - it's a playground for the uberwealthy, and normal, middle-class people have been pushed out.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Many places, Sydney, Palm Springs, Ipanema/Rio, Maui, South Beach, San Juan and San Diego. Runners up are London, Barcelona, Seattle, and Laguna Beach.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Honolulu. About 20 years ago, as soon as I landed after a flight from snowy cold Chicago. The warm breeze and fragrant flowers made me want to stay forever.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Munchen
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Many Places.
United States: Alaska, Glacier National Park and Seattle.

Internationally: Paris, Rome and Budapest.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:37 pm

Rome, Mexico City, and Vienna.

I really like lots of other cities and places, but those 3 probably qualify for 'instant love'.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Thus far (), NYC (obviously), Madrid, Paris, and Berlin. I am about to go to Rome for the first time, so I may have another city to add to my list soon.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Probably only Vienna does it for me. Tokyo was a close 2nd. Would love to live there, just not in a tiny apartment.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:58 pm

I have fallen in love with a lot of places. I would say Santa Fe NM is one of them and I'm fortunate to have family there.

I fall in love with most places I visit as I have done my research and know from the get go what to expect. I had a fun time in Maui(:
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Auckland.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Princeville. If you've been there, you know why. If not, I can't explain it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.