Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever instantly fallen in love with a place?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever instantly fallen in love with a place?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:57 pm

Hong Kong *swooooon*

I still remember our first night together -- it was humid, noisy, polluted, and crowded, and I instantly fell in love.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by conglomerate
Honolulu. About 20 years ago, as soon as I landed after a flight from snowy cold Chicago. The warm breeze and fragrant flowers made me want to stay forever.
Ditto. 16 years later and I still remember that 'lush' smell when I first stepped off the jet in Hawaii.

I still remember thinking "Why doesn't every American I know move here?"
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Westport, New York
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: SPG, Chase Sapphire, AA, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club, US Bank Flexperks, UA Mileage Plus
Orvieto, Italy...amazing !
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:19 pm

London for me, I could move there tomorrow.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I've been heard time and again saying that if I win the lottery, I'm going to buy a house in Locarno Switzerland. Lucerne would be a close second. I also love Amsterdam and could see myself living there as well. Bangkok is at the top of my list of favorite cities (I've been 27 times and still counting two more trips there in 2012) but I cannot see myself actually living there. It's exotic, chaotic, and the shopping can't be beat, but I just feel good to get back home to the midwest USA after a few weeks in Bangkok.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:30 pm

Galway, Dublin, New York, London, Moab (in Utah). I was lucky enough to live in NYC for a while and still love to go whenever I get the opportunity.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: HHD
Nagoya.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
Atacama desert.
When we got out of the car and saw this endless beautifull emptiness with the most amazing landscapes of the world, it was the first and only time I was full of emotions because of a landscape.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:48 pm

NYC - for the energy; for the arts; for being 'larger than life' compared to any other city.

Paris - for the food; for the museums; for pure beauty.

Chicago - for being a mini NYC.

Vienna - for the MUSIC.

Ah, I need several million more FF miles, plus a fist full of cash!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Gringuito
Atacama desert.
When we got out of the car and saw this endless beautifull emptiness with the most amazing landscapes of the world, it was the first and only time I was full of emotions because of a landscape.
Hahahaha - I was in the Atacama for a few days a few years ago and was so ready to leave. I agree that the landscapes were beautiful, but the whole San Pedro experience really left me cold. Too many rich Argentinean kids with dreadlocks bumming it for my taste.

I do, however, think it would be great to go to Putre and hang out by Lago Chungará. And I'm longing to go to the Salar de Uyuni.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
A deeply moving experience has been the Mezquita (Mosque) of Cordoba, Spain, in the morning, just after opening. Almost as good were the Greek ruins at Paestum, Italy (coupled with the nearby museum) and Herculaneum near Naples (also coupled with the Naples archaeology museum). Encountering very few tourists contributed greatly to my enjoyment.

Other beautiful places have been the Amalfi coast of Italy (like Amalfi in shoulder season; Positano was dead, Sorrento full of tourists still), Hawaii (not Oahu), smaller towns in Germany, and Sedona. Big cities like NYC, Chicago, London, Munich, Rome, Madrid, Berlin, Amsterdam, San Diego, SFO, Naples, Buenos Aires just haven't done it for me. Most of them are too mobbed by tourists even in shoulder season, or too Americanized for my taste. Haven't been to Asia though.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:00 pm

El Chalten, Argentina. Small town in Patagonia. I dream of living there.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
My current love affair is with Como. Went for the first time this summer, and it is one of the most beautiful and wonderfully civilised places I've ever been to. Would move there in a heartbeat and be forever happy, if it wasn't for the small matter of mortgage prices. It's, ahem, well, it's expensive!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Alaska, American
Tarifa, Spain; Sorrento, Italy; and Salzburg, Austria. All three are beautiful, walkable, and friendly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.